Converting my Schwinn "Searcher 4" Sport Hybrid into a e-bike

venexiano

1 µW
Dear all,

I am a newbie, who read a lot online the past few days. I own a Schwinn "Searcher 4" Sport Hybrid. Link to Shwinn website (it is down now, I also post the link to cached page):

https://www.schwinnbikes.com/usa/searcher-4-mens-16690

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:Etj3lHqXPl4J:www.schwinnbikes.com/usa/searcher-4-mens-16690+&cd=11&hl=it&ct=clnk&gl=us

I read the "read before asking post", and I am posting the information requested.

Desired max speed on level ground: 20 mph
Desired max range at what cruising speed: 20 miles at 20 mph
wheel size: it says 28"x1 5/8 x 1 3/8
Brake type of motor wheel: V brake
Rider weight: 180 pounds
Terrain: mostly flat some short hills under 20% grade
Budget: I would like to stay on the cheap side.

Which conversion kit and which battery would you suggest me? I have a few questions/requirements:

1) I would love to have the option to switch the level of assistance from full assistance to no assistance. Is this adding cost?
2) I leave the bike outside my working place everyday, uncovered, will rain be a problem? Better to remove the battery if it is raining? Any way to suggest me a water resistent kit+battery? In Florida it could pour rain. I sometimes commute in pouring rain.
3) I sometimes leave the bike outside overnight, I have a very nice Kriptonite lock plus cable which goes through both wheels, so no one ever tried to steal my bike or part of it. I am concerned someone could steal the battery. Are there batteries that can be removed only if one has a key? If not, maybe just using a triangular battery bag should be enough for concealing.
4) Should I go for a rear motor wheel? It looks like I have aluminum, should I get torque arms?
5) Seems like the best option is LIPO batteries. I see someone complaining about the danger of fire/explosion. Should I get a fire proof battery bag, if it is exist? What about the charger? Should I go for another type of battery, like 18650?

Could you suggest me the best system fitting my requirements, with links or at least names of the parts?

Thank you
best
Alberto

Back