Regen button for lights?

butters149

100 mW
Hello,

My regen is a twist throttle and there is also a red button, which currently does nothing. The harness has two yellow plugs coming out, a male and a female. I stripped back one of the plugs that is not used and am wondering if I can use this for the lights? It has a yellow to blue and green to black. thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_3822.jpg
    IMG_3822.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 662
Not sure there's enough information here unless this is a common kit you expect people to recognize.

Also, variable regen grip is good but the half-grip is bad if you want to use it while covering the mechanical brake. Think about it with a finger extended you won't be able to rotate your grip very well. But if it was full length you could use your smaller fingers to twist it easily. This is 10x more important with the main throttle. If you're not riding hard enough for this to matter, consider stepping up your game.

which full length grip is good with regen? Also the regen works by twisting the throttle reverse.

I have a similar button that's supposed to be used for "ignition" or turning the controller on. I use it for my headlight.

Check with an ohm meter to make sure it's just a normally open push button switch.

E-HP said:
I have a similar button that's supposed to be used for "ignition" or turning the controller on. I use it for my headlight.

Can you help me to know which is positive and negative? This plug has 3 pins, I would only need to know 2.

You will have to test the switch. If it is really meant for regen, it is a momentary switch and it won’t do for lights for you’d have to hold it pressed as long as you need the lights on.

this is just a generic half throttle with a button for ignition i think. the button when pressed, does stay down. and pressed again comes back up.

butters149 said:
E-HP said:

Can you help me to know which is positive and negative? This plug has 3 pins, I would only need to know 2.

Couldn't tell you without testing it.

To be clear, it sounds like 1) the plug you are referring to is not used at all right now and 2) that plug consists of 3 wires. The switch may support both normally open and normally closed, which may be the reason there are 3 wires.

If this is the case, I'd strip all three, then confirm by pairs to make sure there's no voltage on any pair with the button on the "on" and "off" positions (this is just to make sure). Then, press the button to on, then use an ohm meter between 2 of the 3 wires and look for a zero ohm reading. Once you find that pair, press the button to off, and check to see that it's an open circuit. If it is, that's the pair you can use. There is no positive or negative, the button would be between your light and power source (in my case, my battery).

butters149 said:
this is just a generic half throttle with a button for ignition i think. the button when pressed, does stay down. and pressed again comes back up.

that's pretty much like what my switch does.

E-HP said:
butters149 said:
E-HP said:

To be clear, it sounds like 1) the plug you are referring to is not used at all right now and 2) that plug consists of 3 wires. The switch may support both normally open and normally closed, which may be the reason there are 3 wires.

If this is the case, I'd strip all three, then confirm by pairs to make sure there's no voltage on any pair with the button on the "on" and "off" positions (this is just to make sure). Then, press the button to on, then use an ohm meter between 2 of the 3 wires and look for a zero ohm reading. Once you find that pair, press the button to off, and check to see that it's an open circuit. If it is, that's the pair you can use. There is no positive or negative, the button would be between your light and power source (in my case, my battery).

thanks but from what i can tell there are only 2 wires going to the 3 pronged plug that is currently not being used.

butters149 said:
E-HP said:
butters149 said:
E-HP said:

thanks but from what i can tell there are only 2 wires going to the 3 pronged plug that is currently not being used.

easier. just test the two.

PS. Is this being used with that ASI controller? I was wondering how that worked out since reading Luna's website, it looked like it only works with certain motors? I saw regen, but not variable regen on the spec sheet.

Back