Um... how do you handle all the handlbar mounted accessories?

Pinesal

100 W
Hey, I am planning out my bike build I am looking all the accessories I want and I feel like I am going to have so much stuff on my handlebars, I won't be able to grab onto them.

The bike will have the gear shifter, the throttle, turn signal switch, 3 speed switch, cup holder, mirrors and phone mount. All of these things attach to the handlebars with that loop thing in about the same spot. Seems like I'll have a huge line of stuff that goes all the way the stem.

Am I overthinking this? Or underthinking?

I have a half twist throttle, 2 switches and 2 brake levers. Nothing I need to think of, nothing I need to look at, to handle. Nothing to rub when I flip the bike upside down for servicing. Nothing to break in a crash.

Controls on the handlbar. Lights and display forward and lower on an accessory bar. Phone mounted to stem. Short riser bar so it protects everything when flipping the bike over.

Cup and phone are for when you get to where you're going. If you give in to those things, the next thing you know you have a Bluetooth stereo, child seat, Peltier fridge, bobblehead Buddy Jesus, radar detector, and concealed carry suicide pistol. Don't live like a car spud.

If you have enough stem spacers, you can put a stem in place of some of them (BMX stems usually have the smallest stack height), and mount a short dummy bar to attach extra stuff.

I have taken bars that have some rise to them, and added a pvc pipe top bar, with two screws into holes drilled in the handlebar. Rode hard, never broke the bar because of the hole.

That crossbar can hold a CA, and two lights. Or, a speedo and a phone mount.

Chalo said:
next thing you know you have a Bluetooth stereo, child seat, Peltier fridge, bobblehead Buddy Jesus, radar detector, and concealed carry suicide pistol. Don't live like a car spud.

This sounds good to me!

dogman dan said:
I have taken bars that have some rise to them, and added a pvc pipe top bar, with two screws into holes drilled in the handlebar. Rode hard, never broke the bar because of the hole.

That crossbar can hold a CA, and two lights. Or, a speedo and a phone mount.

This is a pretty good idea, thanks.

For what it's worth, the pedicabs I build mostly have these bars, partly for the same reason you're discussing.

33236.jpg

8" of rise isn't for everybody, but you sure can mount a lot of things on them.

butterfly bars

flex but i want that

lotsa room for attachments

I use accessory bars. This was over a year ago. My setup is different (and a bit ridiculous) now.

file.php

For awhile, I had a seat post mount, that had a 1"x1" square tub and two apposing V's for the clamp, I had a 5S2P with a switch and a UniBond light. which worked great for lighting, but it is far too large for my liking. I am going to be building my own light, based on my knowing fuckall and buying CREE COOL WHITE LED 5MM 46100MCD, because all I know is, the more MCD then its gotta be better right? Who knows! I figure test one out for brightness, then wing it and string a bunch together for a decent lighting pattern, brightness and not lots of amps to drain a Makita pack.

What I like to do is put on a forward facing reflector, right next to a mini bell, and next to the the throttle.

You have it better than I do -
ussc3-M.jpg

Luckily I don't need much. I could live without the control with the green button - it has a 3-way for different speed ranges, which is nice but not really needed, and a switch for cruise control which is always on. The thumb throttle placement works great for me. The main loser was the CA display, and a light that has yet to be installed.

markz said:
I am going to be building my own light, based on my knowing fuckall and buying CREE COOL WHITE LED 5MM 46100MCD, because all I know is, the more MCD then its gotta be better right? Who knows!

When a seller or manufacturer wants you to know how much light an LED makes, they use lumens. A high candela rating usually only means it's focused into a very tight beam, because candela is a measure of intensity and not output.

A tightly focused beam in a bunch of LEDs allows you the opportunity to direct all those little spots to where you want them, so that might be a plus.

In general, a cree led is pretty bright. My cheap flashlights have an 80 lumen cree. Most bike lights I see in Walmart, or such like, are 30 lumen.

One of my 80 lumen lights, is brighter than the headlights of my 2000 van. Pretty nice.

But if you spend 56 cents on an led, I bet its not the 80 lumen one.

When I make the crossbar for my bikes, its just done if I don't already have a bmx bar on the bike that has one. When I ride a cheap bike made for teens, I need extra long seat post, and then I need the high rise bars to go with it.

Back