Newbie Specialized Globe 1 Conversion

chazkato

1 µW
Background:
I have had a Specialized Live 3 for several years now
IkuwE75.png

It's a great city bike, with a belt drive and a Shimano Alfine 8-speed internal hub and a large front rack. It's great for slow rides, running errands and it's nice to have to worry a bit less about the drive train, here in the great salty north. However, it's heavy as hell, and I'm interested in converting to expand my errand range and to enable it to be used more as a true car replacement (we recently downsized to a one car, two person household). I also have a Burley flatbed trailer, that I would like to haul around more easily.

I weight about 165.

Goal:
I'm hoping in achieving at least class 3 speeds, it's not too hilly here (though I would like to be able to tackle reasonable hills) and get a range of at least 30 miles.

Current Plan:
Ebikeling 1200watt front hub conversion: https://ebikeling.com/collections/w...of-kit-48v-1200w-700c-direct-drive-front-rear
With the Luna Wolf: https://lunacycle.com/luna-wolf-v2-52v-battery-pack/

Questions
1. Does this sound reasonable? Any suggestions/advice?
2. Better alternatives?
3. Is this a dumb bike to try to convert? It seems like it would be fun... but I know next to nothing.

Thanks!

Everyone seems to have good reports on ebikeling and the "1200", which has a 30 amp controller, should go at least 30 mph @ 52V IMO. Luna Wolf @52V, 12 ah (600 or so wh) should provide 30 miles @ 20 mph with you pedaling; faster = more consumption.

added after oldwahoo54 - really good point about forks; looks like they're aluminum, and I wouldn't consider putting a front motor unless you change them.

I think the usual advice is to make sure your front fork is steel, not aluminum. Also, I can't tell from that page whether or not the front kit is disc brake compatible. I'd check on that. You should be able to mount a battery on the downtube with no problem.

Perfect bike for a front hub conversion. But I would shy away from a heavy DD motor on it. A larger geared motor, like the MAC. or E-bikekit, perfect. Pretty sure luna has that motor too. Should get a legit 28 mph at the start from such a motor, and 25 mph cruise half way through your discharge.

I just got sent a Luna wolf battery. no charger for it yet, but just looking at it I'm pretty impressed. I got the clear one, so you can see everything. First really waterproof e bike battery I will own. Definitely a cut above the cheap duct tape wrapped batteries.

Thanks so much for all of the advise guys. The aluminum fork issues are definitely good to know about. This bike has what seems like a very beefy fork, so I am still tempted to explore that option, but I will certainly opt for very substantial fork arms if I go down that route. Thanks again!

Probable you'll need to remove the "lawyer tabs" on the fork too. I would consider two torque arms (look at Grin - ebikesca).

Back