Pros/Cons of a 44t/22t vs 32t/16t on a mid drive?

azneinstein

100 mW
So I've been wrapping my brain around this but there are so many factors that I wanted to see if I'm correct:
Affected Areas:
- Motor RPMs
- Cadence
- Top Speed
- Climbing Ability/ratio
- Motor Efficiency
- Motor Power Draw
- # of teeth engagement
- Wear/Maintenance

So I built a 29er SS currently with a lekkie 42t/20t but I have 38t-36t narrow wides along with a bunch of 20t/18t/16t rear but trying to figure out, at a equal "ratio" what would be better for a mid drive?

44t/22t:
- Higher top speed
- Lower Cadence
- Lower Motor RPM - More heat
- Less efficiency
- ***More power draw? I'm not sure on this one yet cause the initial at stop draw might be higher
- Climbing should be the same, just less cadence
- Less efficiency overall?
- More teeth engagement so less/no slippage and slightly more power transfer?
- Less maintenance cause less torque and more teeth to wear on

32t/16t:
- Less Top speed
- Higher Cadence
- Higher Motor RPM - Less Heat!
- More Efficient cause more spinning
- Less Power draw? But I think the initial at stop might be more
- Less teeth engagement
- More maintenance

So I know I can't have everything, but this is mainly a city cruiser/some slight hills but what sizing would you go with if it was you? I think a 25mph top speed is fine for this bike.

Bigger cogs with same ratio. Less frequent replacement of chain and cogs. That's the reason I went with 30/50t instead of 24/40t

All depends on your riding, and what your rear freewheel/cassette is.
For more speed then climbing, then a large front gear, like a 52 to an 11 rear, but if you want hill climbing then a 22 front to whatever rear you want, spend big bucks on a 36T+ or keep it reasonable with a 11-34T rear. What is the balance you want to achieve. Cruising speeds vs hill climbing speeds, and the amount of time your doing each.

Any front sprocket under 42t, like the lekkie or Luna, will significantly change your chain land and likely you’ll lose a few gears.

Back