Prius A/C motor, inrunner, bare stator OD 85mm

spinningmagnets

Staff member
The Prius is a hybrid, so there are many times when the car is running, but the engine might not be. Therefore, if you want the A/C on, it is best to run the compressor by an electric motor (instead of the engine, as is the norm).

The rotor air-gap is 52mm diameter. Kv is approximately 40.

It would require a custom aluminum housing, but apparently this build-log shows that doing that is fairly easy. The motor shown to the left is a fairly common RC 63mm diameter Turnigy.

https://www.austin-b.com/prius-motorbike-the-bike-of-motor-science/

IMG_5735-1024x768.jpg

Here are the housing parts, ordered from a CNC

IMG_5872-1024x768.jpg

IMG_5909-1024x768.jpg

What a build! Such a multitude of talents! And on a BMX! I like the guy.

AH! yup, I should have known (thanks for the link)

I had dismissed the project after my initial exposure due to my perception that it would be difficult to find a controller. Apparently the same builder has spent about a year making a DIY ESC for a power skateboard. Now that he has published how to make a controller for the Prius A/C motor, I am interested again, and even though it was already posted in the project pics section, I think it's still relevant to have a post on the motor section.

This is about the same size as Miles' eMoulton motor, which is not in production. Not only can this motor be bought new as a repair part from a Toyota dealer (expensive), but there have been over 7-million made, so thousands have to be rusting away in salvage yards (very cheap).

I had completely forgotten that I had seen this before. Is that an indication of the onset of Alzheimers, my slowly eroding memory due to natural entropy, or the whiskey? (*takes a sip and stares off into the distance...)

spinningmagnets said:
AH! yup, I should have known (thanks for the link)

I had dismissed the project after my initial exposure due to my perception that it would be difficult to find a controller. Apparently the same builder has spent about a year making a DIY ESC for a power skateboard. Now that he has published how to make a controller for the Prius A/C motor, I am interested again, and even though it was already posted in the project pics section, I think it's still relevant to have a post on the motor section.

This is about the same size as Miles' eMoulton motor, which is not in production. Not only can this motor be bought new as a repair part from a Toyota dealer (expensive), but there have been over 7-million made, so thousands have to be rusting away in salvage yards (very cheap).

I had completely forgotten that I had seen this before. Is that an indication of the onset of Alzheimers, my slowly eroding memory due to natural entropy, or the whiskey? (*takes a sip and stares off into the distance...)

Don't blame the drugs man. Drugs don't kill people. People kill people.
Ha! I thinks that a quote! But it's been in my head forever.

Magnetoman... don't be old, keep learning, keep evolving. Alzheimers is all in your head man.

Back