TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

I don't know if in 860C the data is stored in the flash memory of the micro (eeprom emulation) or in an external eeprom, the "endurance" is different, approximately 10k cycles with flash or 100k cycles with eeprom.
In any case I agree, it is important to limit the number of writes.
In the code there is no cyclic writing in flash / eeprom, the parameters are saved only when the display is turned off, so difficult to reach the limit of cycles. I don't think it depends on that.
We should have some more information about the death of the displays, but if it does not turn on anymore, it is difficult to establish the cause.

If it literally doesn't turn on, no power at all, it's not likely a flash problem, it's more likely to be the LVPS (low voltage power supply) in the display (since like the controller it has it's own converter from battery voltage to the 5v/etc used inside the display).

Have any of them been tested for this?

Hello All :thumb:

Massive thanks to mbrusa and all the developers and testers who have created this ingenious firmware :bigthumb:

I've managed to get pretty much everything working as I want on my 48v VLCD5 with v20.1C.2. The field weakening is exceptional - the limited cadence was my biggest gripe with the original firmware.

I've searched for answers to every question I've had so far, and always manged to find the answer somewhere in this forum, or the mbrusa manuals - which are very good, if hard to work out in some places - probably caused by the translation.

However, I'm stumped on this one...

How can I reset the consumed Wh counter? I assume it is related to the manual or auto battery SOC% reset, neither of which I can reset.

The manual SOC% reset is done via display - level 4 turbo, light x2, within 5 seconds of power on. For me it does not reset, it only shows e02 and the SOC% level (which often seems to never change, it's been stuck at 60.4 this time, but I have seen other "stuck" numbers.

The auto SOC% reset is done via the Java config voltage levels and related SOC settings - no matter what I set the SOC never changes when I charge or use the battery.

I'm not too bothered about the SOC% itself, its the consumed Wh I really want to reset.

Any help appreciated.

eTrek
Trek 7400 Hybrid circa 2007
Nexus 8 speed internal gears
TSDZ2 48v 10Ah battery

OK, so I just fully charged the battery overnight to 54.2 - the highest it has been in a while.

The Wh consumed has reset itself :thumb:

But... the SOC% was showing 62.4 when battery full - it was 28.8 before the charge. Also, it is now stuck on 62.4 - and has been for the last 10 miles...?

When I powered it on after the 54.2v charge, there was an e0.1 error flashing - I cannot find any references to that error. Motor worked fine though and error went after a few mins.

My relevant config is below. The cell voltages for each display bar are not quite right yet, but they are not far enough out to explain the 62.4% SOC when full (there are 6 bars when full)

Capture.jpg

eTrek said:
...... for the last 10 miles.......
...... an e0.1 error flashing - I cannot find any references.....
..... explain the 62.4% SOC when full (there are 6 bars when full)....
That is because of the Miles conversion (62.4 miles = 100km)
The display use the speedunits for displaying SOC%
For MPH you must set the speedunit inside configurator and display settings. (page 8 of the Parameter manual)

Error E01 flashing is Error_OverVoltage (page 6 of the Operating manual) In your case > 4.25V
Strange enough inside the configurator the reset Voltage is lower than the "full" Voltage (4.00V vs 4.10V)
imho it is better to keep the default values. (4.35 - 4.10 - 4.10)

Thanks Elinx,

Both my display and the config are set as miles, I though that was OK now and the KM only thing was an earlier release? (I have wheel diameter set to max on display).

Is it only the SOC% that's affected by using miles? I've not noticed any other problems using miles..?

Thanks for advice on voltages - I will tweak them a bit.

I'm wondering how accurate the internal volt meter is. I have used the % calibration to tweak it, but it seems to drift over its range, certainly by the odd 0.1v - that's probably why I got the overvolt error, it certainly was not as high as 4.25.

On the contrary, it is the SOC% display that affects the miles.
From the manual:
"Attention, keep in mind that the display always interprets the data received as speed and consequently increases the odometer value, even when the bike is stationary."

For reasons that I do not know depending on the display (verified with XH18), the displayed speed does not follow a linear scale, there may be a difference of up to 2% / 3%, between the center scale (50.0) and the extremes (00.0 - 99.9).
However, it is an acceptable mistake.

OverVoltage (V) is set at 4.35V, to avoid false interventions, caused by voltage surges.
The purpose of E01 Error_OverVoltage is to intercept programming errors in the configurator (for example, set battery cell = 10, with 48V battery).

mbrusa said:
... it is the SOC% display that affects the miles.
"Attention, keep in mind that the display always interprets the data received as speed and consequently increases the odometer value, even when the bike is stationary."
And that is why ODO compensation is preferred if you want to have a secure distance

mbrusa said:
.... a difference of up to 2% / 3%, between the center scale (50.0) and the extremes (00.0 - 99.9).
However, it is an acceptable mistake....
Correct, that is not to worried about.
But in case of eTrek the display shows 62.4 instead of 100 for full charge.
imho that has to do with km to mile conversion of the display itself.
I think that couldn't be solved with OSF

Hi Elinx, first of all thank you for your always clear and relevant interventions. By now you know the firmware better than me!
I believe that if at eTrek the display shows 62.4 instead of 100, it is because it is set in miles in the configurator but not on the display, there is no other explanation.

mbrusa said:
I believe that if at eTrek the display shows 62.4 instead of 100, it is because it is set in miles in the configurator but not on the display, there is no other explanation.

There has to be another explanation, definitely set to miles on display and in config.

Something I have noticed, which may help explain is...When set to miles on display, if I look in the hidden display menu, the speed limit is shown as 25mph, but it is actually limited to 15mph (which is 25kph). Similar for the walk speed limit.

it seems the display, even when standard, does not fully correct when you switch it to miles.

All other info sent to display by OSF seems correct - torque, watts (consumed and current), volts, current. It's just the SOC% that is out by 5/8

I'm not too bothered about the SOC myself - its the watts consumed that I want, and is working just fine :thumb:

Top work mbrusa - thank you! :bigthumb:

Hey,

I have been using OSF for 200km now without any problems.
I am using current v20.1C.2-VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18 with a VLCD05 and a 36V Motor, 15.6 Ah Battery.

I am very pleased with it, but today I had the problem that while riding at about 25 km/h the motor stopped supporting me.
I tried to restart the software and the display turns on, but it does nothing after its torque sensor initialisation.
Normally it would show me the percentage of the battery left, but the display stays at 0.0 km/h.

The motor was not warm (also have heat pads installed) and the battery itself shows me 75% capacity.
It doesn't show me my speed and the motor is not supporting anymore.
I removed the battery and put it back, but unfortunately that didn't help either.

Can someone help me?

I think it's a controller problem.
When I was driving back today, the motor immediately started working again, but only for about 12km. After that, i felt like loosing more and more power every second until there was none. The display showed me the correct battery status and i could change modes, but I had no motor support at all.
I did not touch the wires or anything.

I ordered a new controller that should be here next week. Hope the new one fixes that issue.
If this does not work, i have a spare KT LCD3 lying around somewhere...

Thanks for your suggestions! I will report back as soon as i have changed the controller.

HughF said:
I'm currently running the latest 1.1.1 from Casainho with SW102 displays, on two bicycles...
Thank you for your post HughF. I purchased a TSDZ2 ('new version') spring 2022, along with the beautiful and compact SW102 controller+display.

I have read posts claiming "the OSF firmware can't be used on the new motor controller'.
But I would very much like OSF to graph/log the motor energy output, and my own pedaling output in watts.
How old is your TSDZ2?
I have ordered a spare motor controller and SW102 display for the OSF experimenting.
Thank you.

Ciao,

I'm from Italy and this is my first post in this interesting forum and first of all I want to thanks all the developers and people who made this project available to everyone in particular Casainho and Emmebrusa, I'm really grateful for all your hard work!

I want just to clarify a specific part of the procedure for installing the last emmebruse version v20.1C for VLCD5 VLCD6 XH18 display about installing ST Visual Development in C:/ as it's written in point 3 of the wiki page (https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1/wiki). I used Windows 10 and VMware Fusion Professional 11.5.6 and Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 and also I tried with Windows 10 with a laptop PC but at the end of the installation process I got the same message error: "Cannot change C:/bootmgr to non read-only. Check the drive where you are performing the installation". I tried to change permission of C in propieties but I didn't solve that problem so I had to install it in the standard position and then I changed the directory path of the compile_and_flash.bat file as written in the wiki instructions.Now I want just to know if I did it in the right way (see pictures).

Can please someone also confirm if it's possible to use a virtual machine like VMware Fusion for flashing the firmware? I'd read somewhere in this forum that is possible.

Thank you so much in advance!
Directory.pngDirectory C.pngError.pngNew path.png

PXL_20220514_172441824.jpgPXL_20220514_172548971.jpgi just wanted to drop here some pictures with the warning, don't use 18S li-ion battery on the SW102 screen.

i did have old OSF on motor (and of modified it with 100V caps) and had alternative SW102 firmware, not this one from the forum post.
but it does not matter, since it was a hardware problem.

usually i charged my 18S battery till like 75-80% , and the bike worked all fine. but today i thought lets charge it fully to 100% 75,6V and turned on the BMS and saw magic smoke coming out the screen. funny though, i can still turn on the screen as you can see, but it hangs on the boot animation.

and the reason why i am posting it in this thread, because i was already looking at my old "original" XH18 screen, to get it working with this newer firmware. but i better dont risk magic smoke again, need to find out what i should do to prevent it. maybe step down converter before the screen . (i can still check battery SOC on the BMS app)

hermes127 said:
Ciao,

I'm from Italy and this is my first post in this interesting forum and first of all I want to thanks all the developers and people who made this project available to everyone in particular Casainho and Emmebrusa, I'm really grateful for all your hard work!

I want just to clarify a specific part of the procedure for installing the last emmebruse version v20.1C for VLCD5 VLCD6 XH18 display about installing ST Visual Development in C:/ as it's written in point 3 of the wiki page (https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1/wiki). I used Windows 10 and VMware Fusion Professional 11.5.6 and Mac OSX Mojave 10.14.6 and also I tried with Windows 10 with a laptop PC but at the end of the installation process I got the same message error: "Cannot change C:/bootmgr to non read-only. Check the drive where you are performing the installation". I tried to change permission of C in propieties but I didn't solve that problem so I had to install it in the standard position and then I changed the directory path of the compile_and_flash.bat file as written in the wiki instructions.Now I want just to know if I did it in the right way (see pictures).

Can please someone also confirm if it's possible to use a virtual machine like VMware Fusion for flashing the firmware? I'd read somewhere in this forum that is possible.

i also got these errors all i did was install everything in C program files and then i copied the installation folders to C and it worked

Matze_Senpai said:
hermes127 said:
Ciao,

i also got these errors all i did was install everything in C program files and then i copied the installation folders to C and it worked

Hi Matze_Senpai,
thanks for your response, do you mean that I have to install SDCC and ST Visual Development in the default directories and then copy the folder installed in those directories in C;/ ? I can't install both in C:/ with the default installer: the install button is grayed out when I put C:/ as directory for installation. I don't kwon why I'm the only one with this problem...anyway the other "official" option is to change the directory path in the compile_and_flash.bat file (present in _TSDZ2-Smart-EBike/src/controller/compile_and_flash.bat) but no one here showed how to do that. I really appreciated your help but because the official way is to change the directories for both programs I would like to know if someone can help me so maybe it could be useful for other people with the same issues.

Because with the default installation the directories for the programs are:

For SDCC 64bit:
C:\Program Files\SDCC

For ST Visual Development:
C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics

I would like to know if this is the right way to change the paths in the compile_and_flash.bat file:

@echo off
PATH = %PATH%;C:\Program Files\SDCC\usr\local\bin;C:\Program Files\SDCC\bin;%~dp0..\..\tools\cygwin\bin

make -f Makefile_windows clean
make -f Makefile_windows
if errorlevel == 1 goto FAIL

PATH = %PATH%;C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvp;"C:\Program Files (x86)\STMicroelectronics\st_toolset\stvp"

STVP_CmdLine -BoardName=ST-LINK -ProgMode=SWIM -Port=USB -Device=STM8S105x6 -FileProg=main.ihx -FileData=data.ihx -verbose -no_loop -verif -no_warn_protect
if errorlevel == 1 goto FAIL

:pASS
goto EXIT
:FAIL
pause
:EXIT
@echo on
exit
[/color]

yes install everything to default folders then copy those installation folders to C, then extract the OSF and put that folder also to C. now you can run the configurator

mbrusa said:
There appears to be a communication problem between the display and the motor controller.
It could just be a wiring problem, check the cables and connectors.
If not, problems with VLCD5 or controller, to check you need to replace the display.

Short update:
It was the controller.
Yesterday I switched to the new controller version and holy cow what a difference! :shock:
It seems like the controller was faulty from the beginning, cause I never got that much motor support in any mode (stock and OSF).
The Tour mode is like the old controllers Turbo mode...

rudy74 said:
HughF said:
I'm currently running the latest 1.1.1 from Casainho with SW102 displays, on two bicycles...
Thank you for your post HughF. I purchased a TSDZ2 ('new version') spring 2022, along with the beautiful and compact SW102 controller+display.

I have read posts claiming "the OSF firmware can't be used on the new motor controller'.
But I would very much like OSF to graph/log the motor energy output, and my own pedaling output in watts.
How old is your TSDZ2?
I have ordered a spare motor controller and SW102 display for the OSF experimenting.
Thank you.
I have three units now, all are the old controller. First one delivered Dec'19, the other two delivered mid '20

Short question:

The OSF doesn't work with the new controller, does it?
My switching to the new controller model vs. the old faulty model was a success and i like the stock firmware, except:

-The motor stopping behavior when I stop pedaling is really bad. It stops immediately which feels not very natural
-The stopping behavior when i reach speed limit (25km/h) feels very unnatural too

Just wanted to thank mBrusa here. I tested C3 than C4 for a couple of hundreds kilometres. It is simply amazing. I don't know what to improve in this version :) It's quiet, customisable, it's not overheating. everything works :) Thank you for your amazing work! I'll build next bike for my girlfriend now.

For all of you using tsdz2 in mountains, I recommend you update to c3 or c4. Previous versions (and all different branches like 1.1.0 etc) were heating the engine more.

C4 is complete for me! Thanks once again

Hello forum,

more than pleased with this motor and OSF. But I had to change controler after approx 1200km cause it stopped assistance. Found some rust traces on the motor also : obviously I will have to better waterproof for next winter season.

New controler works perfect, but I have a weird issue : my XH18 screen now shows speed divided by 10 :-(

Obviously it shows also torque values divided by 10 when I do torque calibration.

It's related to the screen. When I plug a unused VLCD6, speed is shown normally.

Any idea how to solve this ??

Ben

Back