cheap 8" ebay hub motors (anyone tested them yet)

jimmyhackers

10 kW
hello

these things are on the ebays https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-Electric-Scooter-24V-36V-48V-DC-Hub-Wheel-Motor-Toothless-Brushless-og/372960758098?hash=item56d6318952:g:VscAAOSwAPpeT2bA

rated at 350w but for 24v/36/48v.......so not that helpful....

my question is are they all the same motor and can take 24v to 48v? or is each a different Kv rating?

also can they be overvolted to 72v? like i have done with my other 48v hub motors?

thanks in advance
jim

I'm running something similar on my dual hub scooter. They were listed as 36v motors but I run them at 18s. If you run 2 they RIP! Top speed is like 36 mph w/o field weakening and acceleration is insane (running lyen 9fet controllers). I'd recommend getting one with a disc brake mount as band brakes are shit. Hell if you live in the U.S I'll sell you mine if you're interested.

If not, here's the one I bought.
https://ko.aliexpress.com/item/1736511255.html

Hope that's useful.

If the different voltage models are wound different, then the version you'll want is the lowest voltage model. It will have the thickest copper and highest Kv.

You guys must have perfect streets and pathways to ride with those tiny 8" OD wheels that I believe are actually 5" wheels. I'd end up taking a tumble guaranteed with wheels that small.

You are correct, not all windings are equal. I contacted that mfg and just asked for their 8" motor that spun the fastest (I wasn't too specific). I was able to hit 36 mph, GPS verified on a bike trail near the house. I also keep it pinned for 1/4-1/2 mile at a time when riding it in SF, some streets have pretty nice bike lanes. But yeah it uses a small tubeless tire that makes riding the scooter feel super rigid as I have no suspension. That combined with twitchy throttle response makes it very fun to ride, it pulls super hard all the way through. Both motors pull about 60A (for a bit) then as speed picks up that drops to about 20A -25A together. Heat isn't an issue, they have never been hot, they're barely warm after a long ride. FWIW

i tried my firends lidl scooer and it seems to have the same kind of motor in that. his was bout 280 quid though.

i was honstly impresed with the speed, power and the comfort. ive had/have bldc hub motors before but i didnt know such a tiny package could be so good/powerful.

for 60 quid for the motor and 30-40 for a controller i thought it might be worth having a go myself at an e-scooter.
would be fun to put it on a roller skate aswell.

Back