FEMM Simulation Help

Folks,

I just took a crash course video on YouTube about FEMM software to simulate an axial motor I'm working with. The flux distribution looks about right, I was expecting something like that, however the force generated is too little, around 50 N, I was expecting a lot more based on the dimensions for this motor. I was wondering if any of you guys can help to see whats wrong and why that little force is being generated. I tried to attach the FEMM file but it doesn't let me attached files other than images. So I can provide the FEMM file upon request via email.
Here is how the flux looks like

Attachments

• FEMM_Test.jpg
    FEMM_Test.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 262
If I'm reading the graphic right, you have essentially no magnetic flux encompassing current carrying conductors except for minor leakage. In other words, no interaction between flux and current.
Regards,
major

I don't know this software, but the flux lines should pass the coils vertically and return on the adjacent coil, as on figure 1 here:
https://www.mdpi.com/1996-1073/10/10/1492
You may just need to reverse the polarity of the magnets on one side.

Fellas,

Here was the problem: The magnets in the rotors were not a mirror of each other, so I have front rotor N,S,N.... then back rotor was S,N,S, so the fields were cancelling each other out, as pointed out by Peters and Major. Here is a picture with the flux no that both rotors are mirror images of each other.

Attachments

• flux distribution.PNG
    flux distribution.PNG
    26.2 KB · Views: 208
Back