BESC-G4

galp

100 W
The new BESC format is here. I started designing G3 but later scrapped it and went straight to G4. This version will be capable of even more serious current and higher voltage.

At first glance:
  • 12x IXTN400N15X4 in SOT-227 housing
  • 700A phase current
  • 30S capable
  • 90 mm^2 phase busbars, 60 mm^2 battery busbars, aluminum or copper
  • Hall phase shunts
  • Integrated capacitor bank
  • Advanced signal conditioning for voltage and current sense
  • Hardware protection against:
    • Short circuit (desat)
    • Overcurrent
    • Overvoltage
    • Overtemperature
  • Easy thermal management
  • Self powered with shutdown mode
  • Automotive sealable header for IO connection
  • BOM ~500€
  • Fairly easy to assemble

Take a look at the PDF files for more details and also mechanical dimensions. On a side note, this motor controller will probably be my master thesis next year.

I've recently acquired Yamaha quad bike that I'd like to convert to electric. This controller should pair well with ME1616 or with EMRAX208 LV. We are also developing scalable BMS solution for this quad bike project. We are planning to build 30S36P pack with Samsung INR21700-30T cells.

Attachments

• besc-g4-1.png
    besc-g4-1.png
    45.9 KB · Views: 2,380
  • besc-g4-2.png
    besc-g4-2.png
    28.9 KB · Views: 2,381
  • besc-g4-3.png
    besc-g4-3.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 2,380
  • besc-g4-4.png
    besc-g4-4.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 2,381
  • besc-g4-5.png
    besc-g4-5.png
    41.4 KB · Views: 2,381
  • BESC_G4_specsheet.pdf
    340.6 KB · Views: 227
What about a separate power stage, so one could use different MOSFETs for even higher voltages. Of your the sensing and the whole board has to be capable of the higher voltage.
Just think about the first VESC with SiC technology!

I'm currently looking for a controller for my next project and this is exactly the controller I need! Following this

Great to see that the BESC is still evolving! Been reading up a bit on the G2 which I plan to do a simpler variant of, i.e closer to the VESC 100/250. Did't find any footprint libs at your git though. Do you have any suggestions where to look? The easiest would be to get the sch+footprint lib from the 100/250 project, but I guess that's private to the Trampaboard guys (at least it seems so). Cheers

I've been unable to find the 100/250 schematic either.

You can deduce the pinout etc from the VESC config file.

As for what parts they use, who knows, but you can probably use the same stuff as the 75/300 for most things, just update the voltage rating where appropriate.

Do you have any files to share? Will you be open sourcing this? I design with kicad and would love to learn more about speed controllers

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Looking good. 12 gate drivers, one per mosfet?
I was eyeballing SOT-227 for my build a couple years ago but it was a non-starter pricewise at least then. Ended up using TOLL package on metal substrate. Keeps it compact and cooling is direct through the board.

Can't tell if you are using power isolation but I'd highly recommend that you do for reliability. Above 300A things get extra noisy to the point that MCU restarts, USB stops workings etc. For that reason, I also have the control board separate from the DC link and as far away as possible from phases and power.

Whoa!

galp said:
700A phase current
30S capable

Somewhere a motor is shivering in horror and disbelief. Sounds more like a weapon to me, than a controller.

I'll be watching this thread like one does a good science fiction series. (meaning I will surely never build something thelike, but nonetheless it's awesome to watch)

How's the progress?

Br,

Back