TSDZ2 OSF for all displays, VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18, LCD3, 860C-850C-SW102.

mbrusa

10 kW
I start this new thread to share the new versions of TSDZ2 OSF.
In common they all have the same base firmware, v7 of mspider65 which derives from 20beta1, to which I have added other changes.

The most important news are:
Field weakening function that allows you to pedal at high cadence. Optimizations to the motor control, the torque sensor and the cadence sensor (from mspider65 - v7).
I added in "Power assist" mode, a very effective boost function, with only two parameters it is possible to modify the response curve of the assistance. Makes "Power assist" mode suitable for all uses.
I also added a new "Hybrid assist" mode, it is a combination of "Torque assist" and "Power assist" modes.
The result is excellent low cadence assistance typical of Torque mode and the extension of Power mode to high cadence.
For a complete list of new features, please read the changelog.txt files and manuals.

Version for VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18 with Java configurator:
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-1/releases/tag/v20.1C-VLCD5-VLCD6-XH18

Version for KT-LCD3:
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-LCD3/releases/tag/v20.1C-LCD3

Version for 860C-850C color display and SW102:
https://github.com/emmebrusa/TSDZ2-Smart-EBike-860C/releases/tag/v20.1C-860C

English manuals are translated with Google translate, if someone of good will wants to check and improve them there are editable odf files. Thank you.

Have a good time

Wow, great work... Does this version switch from torque mode to power mode above a certain cadence?

Does it support sw102 also?

HughF said:
Wow, great work... Does this version switch from torque mode to power mode above a certain cadence?
It is like this in "Hybrid assist" mode, but for me "Power assist" mode is better by enabling "Startup boost", much better. Then you choose your preferred mode.

I'm currently running the latest 1.1.1 from Casainho with SW102 displays, on two bicycles - I will try this firmware and swap back to a standard display, to see how it is different. I like to also use a long startup boost, assist without pedal rotation and power mode - it seems to give a good performace off the line. However, I was just wondering how a switch from Torque to Power would feel, I understand that the commercial motors work this way.

Fantastic news! EMTB mode on Buba’s .20 was great. Almost like a torque start and then fade to power mode. Really miss it. If there is better motor responsiveness as well - the icing on the cake.

I'm going to dust out a VLCD6 (or was it a VLCD5, I can't remember) and try this...

mctubster said:
Fantastic news! EMTB mode on Buba’s .20 was great. Almost like a torque start and then fade to power mode. Really miss it. If there is better motor responsiveness as well - the icing on the cake.
Even better MBrusa has now made the number of Emtb levels, the same as the number of levels across all the modes, with each level set to your requirements. You can change now between all 5 modes from the keypad.

The "Boost" setting also now gets over the ramp up problem and lets you start off on hills with as much boost as you want up to the point of shredding the blue gear of course. I would suggest take it easy on the settings for that as I have found that it does have other drawbacks such as knocking a peddle whilst lifting the bike and you get a small motor input which turns the wheels momentarily.

Wow, this looks great. The low cadence performance on my 860c setup is far from ideal. Can't wait for the weekend to give it a go.

Anyone running it yet? What are your thoughts?

Waynemarlow said:
I would suggest take it easy on the settings for that as I have found that it does have other drawbacks such as knocking a peddle whilst lifting the bike and you get a small motor input which turns the wheels momentarily.
Hi Wayne, there is a "Min current ADC step" function (copied from v1.1.0), which combined with "Startup boost" and "Startup assist without pedal rotation", make the starting response really immediate.
Unfortunately there is this side effect, a minimum movement of the pedal is enough to start the engine.
If this inconvenience bothers you, just set the "Min current ADC step" value to zero.

MBrusa, the error may well be on my part. I've just checked and in the LCD3 settings I have inadvertantly left the " startup assist " at 10 and not 0 which means I have had both Boost and startup assist enabled. I guess this is why any input to the peddle is so sensitive.

I've reset it and will try to see what the difference is in the next few days.

Thanks for all.

Alfie said:
Wow, this looks great. The low cadence performance on my 860c setup is far from ideal. Can't wait for the weekend to give it a go.

one word "Awesome" :bigthumb:

Alfie said:

mctubster said:
jbalat said:
one word "Awesome" :bigthumb:

Forgive the American expression but Mbrusa "hit it out of the ballpark" with this one. Jeffpagerides and I have been testing this for several weeks now and so far it exceeds our best hopes for the OSF firmware. Regarding low cadence performance, that was never an issue with Buba's v0.20 firmware that this is built on. All of Buba's great features we worked on in 2019 are now on the 860C and 850C displays thanks to some great work by Mbrusa.

I guess those of you that stayed with the LCD3 or stock displays have enjoyed those features all along. It is really nice to now have a single code base that works with all of the popular displays being used with TSDZ2 OSF that contains all of the most important features. Mbrusa has added cool features of his own and rolled some of the best of Casainho's v1 enhancements back in as well.

I know others have been making contributions too but I have been gone from the forum for a while. So a big thanks to Casainho, Buba, Marcoq, and Mbrusa, and to all others of you who have likewise contributed. This release marks the culmination of many hard-won features and capabilities some of us have long hoped for. Thanks, Mbrusa for bringing it all together.

Really excited to try this out. Have been looking at mspider65's improvements in v7 but didn't have a way to try them out as I have only an 860c display. Now I can - hopefully this weekend. Thankyou mbrusa, and mspider65!

Just tried it on the 750watts mtb, damn. Soo smooth and nice cadence range now. Used the boost option, will try that out when on the trails saturday. Feels very powerfull
Also installed it on the 500watt streetbike but I missed a setting quess, didnt feel as alive as the mtb did. Will look into that later.
The going from street mode to offroad mode e02 to e03 seems a little harder to do then the last fimrware?

w0utje said:
The going from street mode to offroad mode e02 to e03 seems a little harder to do then the last fimrware?
It is no longer difficult, it is different, the parameters are always enabled / disabled in the same menu position.
Read the manual well, EN-Operating_manual_of _display-TSDZ2-v20.1C for stock displays.
At level 1, Street / Offroad always changes with E02 / E02 flashing, while with E03 / E03 flashing, "Startup boost" is enabled / disabled.
When editing a parameter, in addition to the code to identify it, the status of the parameter is now also displayed.
The first time the light button is pressed (on), the current status is displayed, the second time (off) and with a flashing code, the new changed status is displayed.
With XH18, the code and status are in two different fields and therefore are displayed at the same time.
With VLCD5 / 6, the code and status alternate as they are displayed in the same speed field.

Let me check: So at setting 1, push the light button twice to enable offroad mode and then it blinks after 5 seconds to confirm and if I push the light button once it just turns the light on?
With parameters enabled at start on a vlcd5
"Choice of Street /Off-Road mode
Street mode, it is enabled/disabled at level 1, by setting E02 - STREET MODE, lights button twice until E02
flashing.
It is a function that can be configured as a legal driving mode, it is possible to limit the speed and power of
the engine. "
"Usage. Choose the level (item in the main menu), the first time the lights key (on) is pressed, a code is
displayed which, combined with the selected level, identifies the parameter to be modified.
By pressing the lights button a second time (off) within 5 seconds, the change is confirmed and the code
flashes.
At this point you still have 5 seconds while the code flashes, to pass to the next parameter, again by
pressing the lights button. In this case the previous modification is ignored, otherwise at the end of the 5
seconds with a flashing code, the modification is confirmed. "

I'm contemplating a TSDZ2 purchase to use with this great firmware, and I have a question about the 860C display version:

Do user-modified settings remain intact if the firmware is updated to a newer version?

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it would be a HUGE chore to have to go into each and every setting and check/set it every time you do a firmware update.

Most settings u can change in the configurator so u upload that to the motor and display, so no need to change a lot manually on the display.

I found my old VLCD6 (and KT-LCD3 actually, that I never used) so I will try this soon.

w0utje said:
Most settings u can change in the configurator so u upload that to the motor and display, so no need to change a lot manually on the display.
Thank you for the reply, but from what I have read, it appears that the 850C & 860C doesn't use the configurator. The firmware files are pre-built.

Am I incorrect? Can someone with an 850C/860C display confirm one way or the other?

Thanks!

I have an 860c, haven’t loaded this new firmware yet. Am running 1.1.0 currently. I’m expecting to have to reset parameters, as the as the firmwares are quite different in their settings, and I think it would be safer to start from the defaults.

What I would say though is don’t think of firmware upgrades on a bike like that on a computer. The only reason to upgrade or change is if a major advancement in efficiency or response has been made, or you are interested in experimenting. Do you upgrade the firmware on your car or microwave or refrigerator often? If it works and you are happy with it why change it? It’s not like there are security concerns on a bike.

ahagge said:
I'm contemplating a TSDZ2 purchase to use with this great firmware, and I have a question about the 860C display version:

Do user-modified settings remain intact if the firmware is updated to a newer version?

Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it would be a HUGE chore to have to go into each and every setting and check/set it every time you do a firmware update.

It depends on the changes, yes in case the data structure in eeprom has changed, but it is unlikely in the short term.
Otherwise with any other modification, the user data remains intact.
But don't worry, once you have mastered the parameters, with the 860C it only takes 2 minutes to set them up.

w0utje said:

The configurator is used only with the stock displays, VLCD5, VLCD6, XH18.
With LCD3 and 860C the configuration of the parameters is done on the display.

Using hybrid mode at the moment, going for a ride saturday to try it out. But I was used to e-mbt mode on de 750watts en then I had half of the assistance on stock setting 1 ( was 6 went to 3 ) en the setting that stock on 1 (6) I had that on assistance level 2 (instead of 9 I believe).
Is there a way to make the hybrid mode less powerfull in assistance settings 1 and 2? If i change the power in powermode en torque mode will that affect the selected hybride mode?
Cause hybrid setting 1 feels like the old emtb 3 mode on setting 9, its soo fast. Need a little less assistence on 1 and 2 :mrgreen:

Back