Unite 1020 brushes.

rumleyfips

1 mW
I'm using 2 Unite 1020, 48 volt, 1000 watt DC brushed motors for the cutting blades on my Ariens Amp riding mower. The brushes have worn completely , ruining the commutator, in about 200 hours of mowing. Is this common ?

Thanks
John

To many amps the brushes arc heat gets to intense, 60amp on same motor i just got about 2 hours run time but it went like the clappers arc flash lighting up bright white in the dark, i had all intension of breaking it but i did hope for a bit more than i got.

The brushless versions take around 4kw peaks before they overheat i run one of them for 20 mins flat out on 3.4kw and traveled 12miles topping out at 48mph on a stand up scooter screaming away just over 7krpm

The ride on mowes at 45 amps split between the traction motor and the two deck motors. The blade motors areat about 10 amps each. That doesn't seem high to me but maybe I'm wrong.
The season is almost over here. Over the winter I'm going to enlarge the battery box to go from 55ah to 85ah.Maybe I should be looking for better motors too.

Any pictures of your build, intended use case etc.

I got a 10s chainsaw im upgrading now i tend to run 30 seconds or so at a time with a long pause so i can dump a bit of heat into the motor and get away with it, my plan is to run a skatboard controller so i can take away the slow ramp up and i can implement a kickback feature as i believe its just an overcurrent protection the saw would watch the amps rise and the controller needs to be programed to say thats to many amps slow your roll.

This number has to be selected carefully so the saw has enough power to still cut effectively but not to much it can carry on full torque in a stall situation and burn itself up so it will take testing on my behalf differing cut scenario and see how much juice it really takes to cut and dont allow the saw to exceed it by much.

DSCF0759.JPG

So we got 2 my1020 brushed motors running the blades and the a 3 phase motors for traction, i only see 3 wires on that motor so theres no rotor detection its sensorless i imagine it runs through a high reduction to spin the wheels so been sensorless is not much of an issue and i imagine your happy with how it drives just want to increase the cutting power while using a bit less ppwer while your at it.

If thats the case id get 2 brushless versions of the same motor and swap the controllers to ebike and join the throttles.

Those motors spin faster for the same given volts so the blade rpm will have to be watched so its not spun dangerously fast.

Back