Curtis Controller 1236

mj2412

10 mW
Hi, I'm using a Curtis Controller 1236 for several years. Last summer some water got in the motor and i needed to overhaul it. I used this to add a cycle analyst v2 i got lying around.
No after i ride the bike for about 1 minute and use full throttle, the controller stopps. Then i got a overvoltage error at the brake line (pin 17) and a controller overcurrent in the diagnostics. It is a little bit strange as no electrical brake is installed. No wire at pin 17. Furthermore i have no explanation for the over current failure. Next step is to remove the cycle analyst and then the BMS to find the problem.
Any hint which speed up the search is highly appreciated.
Thanks

If the controller has no internal pullup or pulldown on the brake signal input line, it could be "floating" electrically and receiving RF noise on it (usually from the rest of the controller electronics). You can add your own pullup or pulldown resistor (usually 5kohm to 10kohm) from the brake signal input line to whichever does *not* engage the ebrake--if it's triggered by 5v, then use pulldown to ground. If it's triggered by ground, then use pullup to 5v. (if the controller uses 12v instead of 5v for signal lines, then replace "5v" with "12v" in those sentences). The pullup/pulldown just holds the signal at a steady non-triggered voltage so the controller won't read a spurious signal as a problem.

The overcurrent is read by (and created by) the controller itself, and wouldnt' have anything to do with BMS or CA, which can't communicate with the controller or cause it to draw more current than it is set for.

It means that the current draw the controller itself was creating is higher than the limit programmed into it, for longer than the limit for that allows. Did it say whether this is battery overcurrent, or phase (motor) overcurrent?

In the meantime i solved the problem.

The main reason has been a broken sensor for the rpms. I'm using a sensor bearing from SKF and at higher rotations, the signal started to get out of control. Then the controller reacts with overcurrent failure as it tries to solve the wrong timing of the sensor between A and B signal.

With the change of the sensor and setting up the controller new also the problem with the brake went away.

Maybe someone helps this information with a similar problem.

Unfortunately i got some informations, that the SKF sensor bearings has its problems with higher speeds (up to 9000rpm). May i need to look for an alternative, as my goal are 12000 rpm in the next step. :twisted:

Back