My new Votol controller died. What is a better option

KiefRichards

100 mW
Bought a new em-150-2. Connected to the software and something wiped a bunch of settings. No prob, I saved the inital calibration. I reload that and everything looks good. Ill save, reboot and reconnect, and the busbar currents and overvoltage are still 0. I can change them and save them, but they go back to 0 when I reconnect

Is there a more reliable controller out there? Any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.

No I don't think it died. you just need to reset to factory setting and try again.

Votol controller, if well tamed, is really an amazing controller compared with others in similar price.

the firmware is pretty old, you have to manually set all the parameters to make it work proper (well tamed). it is a pity mosfet Rds on resistance current sensing is applied by votol, make it very hard to develop an open source FW for it, which can easily implement autodetect function to set correct value for it to spin, without figure out the phase angular, pair of poles, phase and hall sequence, etc.

Yeah. I just can’t figure it out.
I tried reloading the initial calibration, it’s still inop.

The problem is when I connect, it often only loads some of the values. When I first connected, I immediately saved a backup to be safe before making changes. I hadn’t realized it only loaded some values. So my saved backup is full of zeros and nonsense values.

Its a huge mess. Ive tried all the drivers and software versions.

KiefRichards said:
Yeah. It’s probably not broken, I just can’t figure it out.
I tried reloading the initial calibration, it’s still inop.

The problem is when I connect, it often only loads some of the values. When I first connected, I immediately saved a backup to be safe before making changes. I hadn’t realized it only loaded some values. So my saved backup is full of zeros and nonsense values.

Its a huge mess. Ive tried all the drivers and software versions.

I'm not sure if you are aware of that, the votol data saving (from PC to votol) is based on the page you are working on, not all pages once. so if you want to change all parameters, you have to save it page by page.

Thanks. Yeah I figured that out. I can save any changes except overvoltage and current.

I can only see rpm in the dashboard when I connect with the CAN enable box unchecked. When the box is checked, i get no rpm when turning by hand.

Its a mess

Vid below of what is happening, if you’ve got a minute

https://youtu.be/FocsbJZgEOw

KiefRichards said:
Thanks. Yeah I figured that out. I can save any changes except overvoltage and current.

I can only see rpm in the dashboard when I connect with the CAN enable box unchecked. When the box is checked, i get no rpm when turning by hand.

Its a mess

Vid below of what is happening, if you’ve got a minute

https://youtu.be/FocsbJZgEOw

it could be some invalid data prevent the parameters to write in. try to modify the other data on the same page like the throttle voltage from 5.3?? to 5.0 or 4.85 something.

also not sure if you need to select em150 or not. I guess there is a parameter checking function before write.

Back