my1020 problems when parried with kelly controller

Hello im doing my first little electric project and i ran into a problem.
At full thottle the motor is cutting in and out when going from full thottle to 1/4 throttle it is jumping.
i think the right word for the motors behavior is cogging. i ran auto identification on it and no error codes. i tried swapping hall wires. one compination let it rev out like crazy but ran generaly worse.
my setup
kunray my1020 2000w 48v
kelly kls 7230s
4x 6s 5000mah 25c lipo in 12s series and parralel for 10ah 12s
here is a video without loud
https://photos.app.goo.gl/nkCgpGeUJJe9w3dx6
and road test
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3B8LjGpsSmdiK4Vb8
when i realease throttle and give 1/4 trottle see how its jumping/cutting

Attachments

• 20221028_164850.jpg
    20221028_164850.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 370
This is not unusual when dealing with these motors, pretty much no sine wave controller will run this motor properly.
You need a square wave or trapezoid controller, like a greentime or Kelly KBS series.

My Vevor kit came with a no name "sine wave" controller. It ran horribly. So I tried a Vesc controller...and it runs horribly. At this point I am considering selling off the whole Vevor kit and starting with a better motor platform (no my1020 of any brand). It turns out the crazy low price is too good to be true.

Yeah i read about it when i tried researching my problem but i got inspiration from a guy on youtube with same controller and a my1020 not kunray brand maybe stock and it seems to run it perfectly i havent yet been able to contact. maybe its just the motor that is a quallity. his only problem beaing overheating but that thing is crazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uP9ly2xBTo8&t=25s

okay i found out the motor he is using is not like all the other my 1020 i can barrely find any sites to purchase these my1020 this on this one the wire is coming out of the site. this could be my solution if i can find a place to buy this motor its more expensive tho. but still just a theory because i haven't been able to contact the guy yet but as i can see thats the only differens is he is using that motor
https://www.elektroller.shop.hu/img/63541/elektromotor48v_1600w_my1020_altpic_2/elektromotor48v_1600w_my1020.jpg?time=1654803303

Funny thing. This evening I tried running the VESC controller again and I got it to run smoothly in FOC! It seems to have a decent top speed and it runs great through the whole range. The only problem I have now is that it accelerates very slowly. Hopefully I can solve this with more tweaking. I'm not sure this helps you but I can verify that it is possible for the motor to run smoothly with FOC style control.

Im so dumb when it comes to electric i dont know what any of it means still trying to learn. But one thing is for sure im not going to buy a new controller. this controller was very expensive for me. and this dude from youtube is running his perfect with wheelies and lots of speed.

Hey guys- I have several thousand miles on two of these 3000w motors and am building a third bike. I think they're great for street ebikes and an excellent value. Both the motors and the trapezoid controllers they come with have been 100% dependable, and they will push my rides to 45 and 50mph respectively running downwind on the flat.

You have to use the 3 speed switch to avoid jerky starts off the line- low speed to get rolling, then immediately hit hi speed.

I did put a Flipsky 75100 on the white bike, as described in that thread on I believe page 13... had a hell of a time with firmware or some glitch in vesc-tool, but once it took it's silky smooth, just poor starting torque as Braddudya has commented. This is at 15s with a 225A capable battery, which that tiny controller can't handle. It will thermal throttle a bit when pushed hard, but impressive nonetheless. If you have pedals, or kick your scooter that'll help from a standing start. Once you get rolling it's game on :thumb:

Attachments

• 20221204_193707.jpg
    20221204_193707.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 217
  • 20221204_193748.jpg
    20221204_193748.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 217
Barncat said:
Hey guys- I have several thousand miles on two of these 3000w motors and am building a third bike. I think they're great for street ebikes and an excellent value. Both the motors and the trapezoid controllers they come with have been 100% dependable, and they will push my rides to 45 and 50mph respectively running downwind on the flat.

You have to use the 3 speed switch to avoid jerky starts off the line- low speed to get rolling, then immediately hit hi speed.

I did put a Flipsky 75100 on the white bike, as described in that thread on I believe page 13... had a hell of a time with firmware or some glitch in vesc-tool, but once it took it's silky smooth, just poor starting torque as Braddudya has commented. This is at 15s with a 225A capable battery, which that tiny controller can't handle. It will thermal throttle a bit when pushed hard, but impressive nonetheless. If you have pedals, or kick your scooter that'll help from a standing start. Once you get rolling it's game on :thumb:

Try the 75200 it is night and day better performance for this application. I think you would find it is MUCH smoother than the stock controller and can accelerate even harder. I am peaking at 8kW with mine.

I'm about to get back into vesc-tool to program a 75200 that's paired with a Tiger Motor U-15. Wish me luck...

Hey Braddudya- I'd be curious to see some pics of your ride with the high output 1020 motor. I'm considering putting a 75200 on one also.

hey there i have this 3000w motor running with a kelly KVD trapizoidal controller and am having issues getting it to speeds anywhere near that if your running the same controller can you share your settings please? like motor poles especialy

Combined scooter and rider weight <100kg

I capped the (20S) battery draw to 30A. I don’t know what the peak phase amps are, since I’ve no way of measuring it … but it’s a lot, since I run the controller phase amps unrestricted.

30A is plenty for me, and I prefer to avoid stressing components, but the motor should handle 50A if you gear it sensibly for the weight you haul and terrain you ride.

I capped motor rpm to 6500, again to avoid stressing components, but have pushed it to 7500rpm. I see no benefit to the higher rpm, I’d recommend gearing the motor down for higher maximum speed if that’s what you need, up to the point where the motor’s starved for current.

Back