large brushless motor for car sized EVs?

PhoenixOSU

100 W
I've been looking at motors for doing car conversions and all I can really find is brushed DC motors and separately excited DC motors, but no BLDC in the 25-50 hp range. Does anyone know of one such motor? I guess an alternative is to use 8 of those large 12kw RC motors with some kind of crazy cooling dropped into a vehicle with a manual transmission. While that "should" be 128hp, I know from experience that RC motors are rated at peak output and not continuous, the nice thing about sensor-less motors is that they I think they parallel well no?

A Hybrid Synergy drive from a wrecked Prius perhaps. It would require significant repackaging.

Apparently there *are* 3-phase motors of various sorts in the very high power ranges for EV use, but the companies that make them will only sell in large numbers to OEMs, and generally will not even talk to you unless you are one. That's based on what I have read over on DIYEC forums.

That said, there are some nice things out there in junkyards if you look carefully. On DIYEC someone found an electric bus with a giant 3phase motor and controller in such a junkyard, and has been working on putting it into something.

I can vouch for the electric bus motor method, mit's current electric car project has a seppex motor from a buss that fits right where the engine would be and has a single stage reduction that ties right in to the front wheel drive shafts. It's pretty simple and clean, the motor uses an oil cooling system.

Back