600 RPM HUB MOTOR 1KW

Lagoethe

10 W
Hello

I'm looking for a 600 (approx.) RPM HUB motor 1KW, likely fed by 48V.
I have difficulties to find such a motor. In fact the only one i find is the KELLY MOTOR here are my questions:

-Why is it so hard to find a 600RPM HUB motor?
Is it because hub motors were made for bicycle (so 25km/h) initially?
Then Why HUB scooters motors have a such less RPM ?

-I understood that if the voltage goes up, then the speed will go up too.
Can an approximation like this be made: 48V/100Rpm => 72V/x x=150Rpm ?
How can we know the limits of RPM of a motor (and its efficiency)?
Why not using a BOOST converter to increase the voltage and then the RPM ?

Thank you

The reason is probably safety! mainstream manufacturers and resellers don't want deaths on their hands, so it should come as no surprise that they won't readily offer motors that are really fast out of the box.

Also, most countries have a 1 horsepower limit or even lower. That would be about 750w. I believe Australia only allows 200 or 250 watts?!

It is also well known that adding more volts & amps = more speed. So what most folks on here do is take a motor designed for 20-25mph and juice the hell out of it so that it will do 30, 40, 50mph or more.

For example, cell_man is selling a MAC puma that will do 24mph on a 26" wheel on 36v.. give it 48v and it'll do 30mph... just imagine 52v, 60v, 72v speeds :mrgreen:

That's kinda how things work in the hub motor world.

But as I wrote before why make so slow RPM motor for electric small vehicules. I am thinking of mopeds, scooters,.. 45km/h limit (and I'm not thinking of e-bikes)
For example:
What is the use of crytalyte motor 5000 series motors:
rim of 10 inches with a maximum RPM of ~400 at 48V. This motor is made for a scooter. This scooter will have a maximum speed of 20km/h. Even in town this scooter is crap (first time I use this word :D )

Have I missed something ?

The thing is, it seems that there is a gap between
-e-bikes motor (25km/h max, hub motor)
-e-"big" vehicules (high RPM+ speed reducer)
I can't believe that it would just made from concioussness of suppliers.

Thanks for the answer

I read on crystalyte website that 400 motor series starts after reaching the speed of 5-9km/h.
Would it be also true with a 1KW motor. And why this speed?
-Because of the little torque at low speed: I don't think so
-Because the controller don't recognize the position of the rotor (speed too small for hall effect to work): Maybe.

Is there a way that this type of motor work instantly at 0km/h?

The motors will start from 0 km/h, using Hall sensors...

Some " Controllers " !! however will only start after 5~7 km/h because they are sensorless and need the motor to be spinning in order to determine power sequence of the 3 motor power wires...

If you use an instant start controller on a clyte 404 it will go from a dead stop.

The 404 is meant for 16" wheels so that at 36v it moves a bicycle at 20mph..

One of my bikes ( the chaos ) uses a 409, made for a 26" wheel at 36v for 20mph.. but i laced it in a 20" wheel slowing it down and pump 100v into it !.. so it goes 55 km/h ! :wink:

You could also take a common slow motor and rewire it from star to delta. That gives you 1.7 times more RPM at the same voltage. Thats what I did and it works fine for me. Together with a higher voltage ( 44 instead of 36 ) and an added shunt resistor in the controller ( to raise the current limit ) I squeeze 2.6kW out of a 700W motor.
Max speed is 50km/h with a 20" wheel.
Search this forum for detailed description, how to do it.
-Olaf

That is the kind of rpm for hubmotors on the larger scooters. Bike hubmotor rpms need to be lower because their tires are larger diameter. Your issue will be finding one that is only 1kw. Also, the motors aren't sold as kits and are harder to find. Here's a pretty good deal on a 3kw motor with free shipping. http://www.x-tremescooters.com/electric_mopeds/xm-3000/parts.html. You might give them a call to find out what parts they have.

Back