What about using the controller as charger.

pm_dawn

100 W
Hi !

I kind of had this stupid Idea.
Would it be possible to use one phase of a controller to input current into the batteries.
Or to use all three of the phases.
I'm thinking about controllers with a higher Volt capability, like 100v or over.
Let the controller adjust the amount of regen that can go to the battery and also sense the voltage of the pack for an upper limit.
I mean the regen of a spinning brushless motor would perhaps be exchanged for a normal power outlet, perhaps just with a stepdown transformer just to ge the voltage in the range of the mosfets or preferrably the IGBTs.
If using a threephase outlet it would be more even on the controller.

Also thinking about this for a DC controller but with full rectification before going into the motorside of a regencapable DC controller. Then letting the controller charge the batteries.
I know this will need the input volateg to be above the pack voltage and that the silicone of the controller can handle the input voltage.

But it sure would be cool to use the controller as a charger. And a highpower charger that is.

I may be way out of reality here but in that case I would like to get to know how and why.

Regards
/Per

The input voltage doesn't matter, since the infineon controller acts like a buck-boost converter.
If one would put a dc voltage between two phase wires of the motor and switch on the e-brake, the controller would start to recuperate. But what would happen, if someone turns the wheel/motor during charge?

The ACP drivesystem we use in our carconversionss , even uses a motor winding and some of the IGBTs to charge the battery with upto 20kW.
-Olaf
<edit> This has to be corrected: the buck-boost converter needs the motor windings to produce a higher regen-voltage.
There is no way, of feeding dc through the backdoor.
Also there is a safety feature that cuts off the controller when the wheel is blocked. Would be the same when we try to regen only through one phase.

Well what about not using the motor at all.
Just using a contactor to switch in the grid straight into the controller instead of the motor?

Would that upset the controller totally ?
Imagine a nice 50/60hz sinewave going into the controller as regen ?

Regards
/Per

pm_dawn said:
Well what about not using the motor at all.
Just using a contactor to switch in the grid straight into the controller instead of the motor?

Would that upset the controller totally ?
Imagine a nice 50/60hz sinewave going into the controller as regen ?

Regards
/Per

The controller needs feedback from the hall sensors to find the zero-V point.
Maybe with a sensorless controller but then again: where does the back EMV come from?

A propper dc voltage on the right phase wires ( depending on motor position ) is the only way to go, IMHO
-Olaf

This is forward thinking. Makes total sense to me, just a matter of what components will be needed, i would love a tuneable for amps, onboard charger up to 1800w or so. AC input 120v.

IT CAN BE DONE, LETS DO IT!!!!!!!

mike

DC from rectified 120V AC has a peak voltage of around 170V. Not many controllers can handle that kind of input.

There are some of the larger EV controllers that do this, but I don't remember which ones. THere has been a discussion about it here on ES, too, but I don't have a link to the thread.

amberwolf said:
There are some of the larger EV controllers that do this, but I don't remember which ones. THere has been a discussion about it here on ES, too, but I don't have a link to the thread.

Here is the tread. Which already discusses this topic

http://www.endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20815

Back