Winding a 55mm or 65mm stator for high voltage?

apullin

100 µW
Hi folks. I was curious if anyone had tried an idea that I'm cooking up here:
55mm and 65mm stators are available on GoBrushless and in Scorpion motors kits, etc. Has anyone ever wound one up for high voltage, low amperage application? By "high voltage", I mean ~180v , specifically, for rectified 110VAC.

I know that will would require a new controller, probably using IGBT's, and cabling safe for HV DC, but, that aside, any thoughts? This would actually be for a stationary application, not quite an E-bike or anything.

Terrible idea?

If you wound it correctly, it would work just fine.

If you're looking for the power density advantage of an RC motor though, you're going to need to embrace the higher RPMs, and this is going to require embracing faster switching speeds, so I would stick with MOSFETs over IGBTs. You could run just 200v mosfets, and IXYS actaully makes some really damn good stuff for the 200v range. Or, you could just half-wave rectify (and spend a little more money on caps, lol), and go with some of the killer 150v mosfets available in the TO-247 packages.

Well, the idea was to simplify the power supply down to just a single rectifier, so no huge transformer is needed.

Would it have to be high-revving necessarily? The stall torque "should" be the same if my (# of turns)*(current) is the same between the low voltage configuration and HV config ... so to have a similarly performing motor, I'd be pushing just a few amps. I'm reading back through my Electromechanical Device Design textbook right now ...

Continous torque potential will be equal if the copper fill is equal, no matter the wind.

However, power is not torque, but equally the product of torque and rpm.

Hence why if you need high power, rpm is equally important as torque.

Back