Controlling a brushless hub motor with arduino

I have several hub motors with 3 power leads and 5 sensor pins. I'd like to drive these motors from an arduino.

I ordered the open source motor controller ( osmc) for burshed motors, and I'd like the same thing for brushless...

http://www.robotmarketplace.com/products/0-OSMC.html

Thanks!!

Glenn

There's a number of threads around here about open-source controller designs, some of which include code you might learn from and build your own code from. Maybe even port over directly.

Everything with arduino is bloated. If you want to controll a motor, you need to know what to measure, when to measure it and how the controller should react. Setting pwm triggered adc sampling is next to impossible in an arduino environment, but is certainly doable with a TI or ATMEL microcontroller.

Arduino are great for a number of things, but that does not include efficient motor controll.

If you are to build a controller, start from the powerstage and work up. A lot of features can be implemented straight into the gate drivers (at the same price).

You do want to make something more complex than trapezoidal controll, else I wouldn't invest much time into making something you can buy from china for a small price.

Check out buck converter application notes, they work the same way a three phase inverter does (same principles apply).

Back