The Brushless plunge

torqueon

1 kW
So bare with me, I know I have more questions than answers, around here. This will be my first experience working with brush less motors

Ive Been planning and window shopping for a motor, for my next, non hub build for some time. And still not decided as of yet, as the chooses are various lawnmower motors, RC motors, the BMC, MAC, etek type motors. So I figure I will get the controller first, at least that will allow me to experiment. Now this begs the question as to what controller is most versatile I don't mind spending a bit more money to get a controller which can used on a variety of motors.

What would guys suggest

Thanks to all here !!!

well if you are just experimenting, I would start with a small 6 FET one , programmable from Lyen. $79,

"most versatile" would probably be a Sevcon and it's programming software and a PC to do it with, but I dont' think you really need all that. ;)

As NielP said, a little programmable 6FET along with it's USB cable to hook to the PC will probably work for most of your initial experiments, and if you don't need a huge amount of power will probably work fine for continued use. I have one that runs DayGlo Avenger with a Fusin geared hubmotor at up to 1200W peaks just fine, and it's capable of a lot more than that, if I had a bigger motor on there.

An infineon controller, big or small, will run all those big ( for ebikes anyway ) motors just fine.

You can start out with a 6FET but a 12-18FET is more suitable for driving the lawnmower motors.

If you get into eTek/motenergy sized motors, to extract full power, you really want something more along the lines of a 24FET controller or larger.

amberwolf said:
"most versatile" would probably be a Sevcon and it's programming software and a PC to do it with, but I dont' think you really need all that. ;)

oh yes..but mega bucks I seem to think..very nice though

$600.. programming device is $900... no thank you. I'll use an infineon if i can get away with it :p

Hey thanks for the replies.

I should of been more specific sorry about that. The motors are the experiment not the controller. I am willing to spend upward to $300 usd and want something to handle 2500 watts or so in the 48 volt to 72 volt range. I am thinking something like a Kelly, I just don't know enough to make decision just yet, that why I am here,

thanks

$300 not convenient!! You know the drill ! Have money and no time. or have time, no money! Sadly due to lack of time and or money this project may spend most of it time as a glorified coat rack. Will be done before I cease. Plus i am pole volting over molehills due to lack of engineering skills,

Hey all here! I just ordered up a kelly controller, model kbs72121 . Good for 24 to 72 volts at 50 amps continuous. 120 amp for 10 second peaks.

Excited can't, wait to get the rest of pieces, for this moped urban cruiser. Opinions and critics welcome please.

Pete

Oops I just got sucked in to that fantastic web site so easy to buy from. However doing searches on this site seems impossible, you have to admit!!
Part of me says start with something, to jump start the project, . as I stair at the bike, controller and motor in mind.

Now that i step on my dick!! What to suggest.

torqueon said:
Hey thanks for the replies.

I should of been more specific sorry about that. The motors are the experiment not the controller.

No, you were clear enough, you wanted a controller to expire ment with different motors. I suggested a relatively small one , programable, that is relatively cheap, that you could afford to muck around with, still have reasonable power levels even for a little controller like that. Some have reported pushing 90 amps or more ( I doubt continuous though) through them. They ate cheap enough that if you blew it with all the motor experiments, it would not have been a big deal. The Sevcon idea, was similar in that you then had a very versatile controller .., but at a price.

I am willing to spend upward to $300 usd and want something to handle 2500 watts or so in the 48 volt to 72 volt range. I am thinking something like a Kelly, I just don't know enough to make decision just yet, that why I am here,

thanks

6 FET would have done that, and at those lower voltages you may have been better off with the 3660 FETS, not the 4110's . All for a lot less money and far greater reliability. And bigger knowledge base here . I think Liveforphysics has a long thread on the forum here about the Kelly controllers, and why he buys them, but 3 at a time. One for initial testing of their limits, one for use at those limits, and then a spare just in case. Not sure how much you did spend on your kelly, but I guess it was more than $79
If you are experimenting with motors, wanting to compare performance etc, then you need some sort of monitor for current/volts/Ah used/ watts , etc etc. The 6FET or any of Lyens controllers come ready with plug for cycle analyst monitor, does the Kelly have this or are you going go have to wire up a plug for that yourself?

torqueon said:
Oops I just got sucked in to that fantastic web site so easy to buy from. However doing searches on this site seems impossible, you have to admit!!
Part of me says start with something, to jump start the project, . as I stair at the bike, controller and motor in mind.

Now that i step on my dick!! What to suggest.

Once you are done beating yourself up, see if you can get a return :p
I've heard very mixed things about the kelly controllers, also they tend to be less reliable and more expensive.

Definitely do your research before buying next time.

iv got second hand kelly controllers for sale that will pump out 4/5kw wont break, variable regen

can sell you one for $150 18 to 90 volts, 50/60amp amps 100/120 phase amps

runs the pie at 55 kmh and runs it well...

Thanks but I already ordered one up. Whats up with the bad press on these controllers ? I havn't seen any bad reviews on them as of yet
Have to admit that. the lyens controller sound's like they Rock!!

From my reading of the subject here, it is down to the bad layout of them and how current sharing amongst the FET's is distributed.
If you run them at low power levels you will probably be OK, but a controller of better design and layout could run much higher power levels with a reduced number of FETS, in a smaller physical controller without stressing the components as much. Also I believe that the components used and build quality is a bit poor.

To use a petrol engine comparison, you could build a car with a big high power fuel guzzling engine from the 70's and have a fast vehicle or you could a modern engine that is smaller, lighter, uses less fuel and puts out more power in a smaller package

I like my bullet proof kellys..

To be perfectly honest i have 6 kelly controllers.. x1kbl x3 ebike brushless and x2 mini series...

None have broken,, only my 1 gm controller blew up...

My kbs series is the size of a coke can and can put out as much power as some of the large infinieons.. they use massive fets, and not as many.

You guys have been left behind, kelly has come along way since random blowing controllers...
they are very reliable... very easy to use, easy to program.

To me thats good news. sense I ordered the mini unit. It may not be the ultimate unit, for extreme power, but sound's to be user friendly.

Still have yet to find that illussive low KV brushless motor

nechaus said:
I like my bullet proof kellys..

To be perfectly honest i have 6 kelly controllers.. x1kbl x3 ebike brushless and x2 mini series...

None have broken,, only my 1 gm controller blew up...

My kbs series is the size of a coke can and can put out as much power as some of the large infinieons.. they use massive fets, and not as many.

You guys have been left behind, kelly has come along way since random blowing controllers...
they are very reliable... very easy to use, easy to program.

What do these new ones cost..seem to remember they were far more expensive

Back