Belt drive for Motenergy ME1003.

Jayls5

100 mW
I've decided I want to avoid the chain drive route for noise reduction.

Dimensions of motor shaft: 7/8"x 1-5/8", 3/16" key

Random details: Motor will run at 74V nominal load (ball parking 3000 rpm, correct me if I am wrong). Total vehicle weight will be 100-200 lbs max. Not sure of final drive goal yet or even size of driven wheel; it's contingent on what I end up wanting to do.

Regardless, I'm having a really hard time getting ANY toothed pulley setup that bolts directly on this shaft. I'd like to get the drive pulley picked out before I bother with the driven side, but I'm not having any luck. I'd like to start as small diameter as possible and work from there.

What are the best suppliers of pullies, tensioners, and belts that would fit my needs (USA)? Thanks.

This motor can push something like 25 horsepower peak. You are going to need a really really wide belt - what are you trying to drive?

Honestly, we keep changing our minds. We are probably going to put it in a go kart style chassis and drivechain. Yeah... I know the motor can put out some ridiculous 80 ft/lbs torque at stall so I need it to be stout for sure.

Thanks for the link... I know I'm on the right track and everything because I've already been to the majority of those sites.

I think the one thing I can't find is a proper sized keyway. I am fairly sure a set screw is not going to be sufficient and could destroy the shaft on a max torque launch. I'll double check those sites again, but it seems the search continues!

Jayls5 said:
I've decided I want to avoid the chain drive route for noise reduction.

Dimensions of motor shaft: 7/8"x 1-5/8", 3/16" key

Random details: Motor will run at 74V nominal load (ball parking 3000 rpm, correct me if I am wrong). Total vehicle weight will be 100-200 lbs max. Not sure of final drive goal yet or even size of driven wheel; it's contingent on what I end up wanting to do.

Regardless, I'm having a really hard time getting ANY toothed pulley setup that bolts directly on this shaft. I'd like to get the drive pulley picked out before I bother with the driven side, but I'm not having any luck. I'd like to start as small diameter as possible and work from there.

What are the best suppliers of pullies, tensioners, and belts that would fit my needs (USA)? Thanks.

A couple of years later, it annoys me to relive this guys frustration - still there are no pulleys that bolt on this shaft?? That's insane, how the hell can they make such a rare shaft! Anyone have any success anywhere? I have searched 4 entire evenings (2-4 hours each), thats 8-16 hours, searching, contacting companies, etc etc. Certainly someone have used a belt on a motenergy/etek/mars motor? Also chain suggestions are welcome, as a last resort.

Zero motorcycles use a belt that is far from what I consider wide. I would guess 3/4" wide.

I am looking into switching to a belt drive on my emoto conversion as well. Clearance is an issue though. I am using a Perm132 with a 19mm axle. I had a hard enough time finding a chain sprocket. So a belt sprocket - :roll:

It’s easy to put any drive pulley on the Me 1003 shaft.
Simply use a 7/8 taper lock bush with 3/16 key.
Then you can slide any taper lock pulley ( of same bush spec ) into the bush and secure with the grub screws supplied with the bush.
I run a Me 1003 driving a 25 mm toothed belt with 12mm pitch. Coupled to a VolvoPenta stern drive.. It is in stoppable and pushes a 10m sports cruiser.
Spark is supplied by 7x 100Ah 12v batteries ( solar infeed) 84 volts feeding an Altrax 7245 controller.
Motor and controller cooling by 2 x 24v bilge blowers and 6mm 5085 plate heat sinks.
Virtually silent running.
Have replaced the brush holder 2x due to running hard long 200 amps :)

I might be able to offer a couple of tips for the me1003. When I purchased my me1003 I found a couple of brushes not locked into the holder properly. I also discovered how hot it ran under load even with an 8" fan pushing air into the brush housing. I made an aluminum heat sink to go around the motor. With heatsink and fan I was able to lower the operating temperature by almost half.

Back