Sevcon Gen4 Problem - any tips?

Electric Motors and Controllers
querlenker   1 W

1 W

Sevcon Gen4 Problem - any tips?

Post by querlenker » Mar 05 2013 12:24pm

Hello,

I have a problem with a Sevcon Gen4 controller, all is wired and then I was turning the inigtion on the contactor closed and I could go with the Sevcon Calibrator into the settings of the controller. I checked the inputs, everything was fine, only error was the motor encoder. Than I did some changes, stored and went in operation mode. Than the led starts to flash once repeating and i could not go back in the settings. The calibrator shows the Gen4 as slave after conecting but than I try to go into the settings or test, it says no device and I should check the CANbus.

Has anyone had the same problem and/or a solution?

I only have the calibrator for the Gen4, I also have a Millipak with PowerPak software and interface, but this seams not to be compatible :cry:

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sebastian

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Re: Sevcon Gen4 Problem - any tips?

Post by querlenker » Mar 06 2013 10:06am

Hello again,

maybe someone knows which Can intefaces are suported by the controller and support CANopen?

Regards,

Sebastian

bearing   10 kW

10 kW

Post by bearing » Mar 07 2013 3:07pm

Send an email to Sevcon and ask?
Since it's their product, they should be more than helpful.

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Mar 08 2013 3:43am

I did, seams the calibrator is limited and not the way to go. I ordered an IXXAT CANopen interface and installed the DVT software. Worst case can be that something went wrong and the settings of the controller are currupt, than i need to reload the standart settings with DVT.

Anyway I cant understand why the calibrator can display the controller as a note and says no faults. But you cant go into the controller :?

Sebastian

charlesb123   10 mW

10 mW

Post by charlesb123 » Mar 17 2013 1:22pm

Hi Sebastian
I've been playing with the DVT software for my motorbike, and it's working very well now. I understand the hand controller is quite limited on which parameters can be adjusted. The DVT software is pretty straightforward, once you get the hang of it. The Configuration files are in txt format, so quite easy to read and edit manually as well.

Your fault almost sounds like a baud rate problem, and it's stuck in pre-operational mode.
If I can be of any help, give me a call

Regards

Charles

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Mar 17 2013 1:32pm

Hello Charles,

thanks for your answer. Seams you are right, stuck in pre-operational and now I cant connect with the handheld. Now I am waiting for my IXXAT usbtoCAN adapter.

What motor you`re using? I have a PERM PMS 120 with sin/cosine encoder.

charlesb123   10 mW

10 mW

Post by charlesb123 » Mar 17 2013 2:31pm

I have a Mars ME0907 motor with hall sensors, so I think easier to set up, but the sin/cosine are much more accurate.
I've noticed with the Gen4, it's very easy to make a slight adjustment to a parameter, and the unit will fault, and so stay in pre-op. It's not a problem if you have a backup file that you can revert back to.

Charles

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Mar 17 2013 2:38pm

Thats my problem, I dont have..

charlesb123   10 mW

10 mW

Post by charlesb123 » Mar 18 2013 5:33am

The DVT software gives good fault explanations when you do a settings check, or get fault information, so hopefully, you should be able to sort it.

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Mar 25 2013 6:00am

Hello again,

today my canOPEN device arrived, I made a cable and was happy to be able to connect with the Gen4 again.

I have 4 faults displayed in the attached image.

faults:
#0 & #1 i should use 5621h to identify the object being out of range, how is this done?

#2 check encoder wiring - this i made several times. is it possible that this accurs because on my analog inputs pin 35 is not mapped and this is the pin for my cos-input?

#3 no idea why

I hope somebody can help me. Its very hard for me as a newbe to get this managed and for me this is not very intuitive software..

Best Regards, Sebastian
Attachments
fault.jpg
Faults
fault.jpg (157.83 KiB) Viewed 4978 times

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Mar 26 2013 5:40am

I eliminated the source of the encoder fault and found that the node-id was 0, range is 1-127. This caused the internal fault. After this i have no fault in pre-operation mode. So far so good, but than i set to operation mode and recycle key, i get a HeartBeat fault from the canBus, LED flashes 12 times and you are again not able to run the motor. I get mad this time..

Biff   100 W

100 W

Post by Biff » Mar 30 2013 11:33pm

When you launch the DVT program can you see messages in the CAN message window?

IF you query flts what is the response?

-ryan

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Mar 31 2013 3:28am

Hi Ryan,

which window do you mean? The one in the middle? If so this is mostly empty..

charlesb123   10 mW

10 mW

Post by charlesb123 » Apr 01 2013 4:33am

HI Sebastion

You probably have worked this out, but there are several useful functions in the GUI (DVT Top) Menu which is the H on the drop down list.
Get Fault information is the same as the FLTS command.The codes should link to the master list I sent you. and then in the settings command, the two functions find range error and settings check, give a load of detail.

Charles

Biff   100 W

100 W

Post by Biff » Apr 02 2013 11:15pm

querlenker wrote:Hi Ryan,

which window do you mean? The one in the middle? If so this is mostly empty..
I am talking about the CAN window , it is 2 spaces up and on the left half of the screen from the photo you took.

Take a photo of the entire screen (or save a screen shot by pressing your Print Screen key on your keyboard then pasting in a picture editing program such as MS Paint), and I will be able to help you locate the screen, and maybe trouble shoot your situation a bit better.

-ryan

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Apr 06 2013 5:12am

Hi,

now the controller works, it was set of problems, when I tried to change some parameters with dvt and stored them they were gone after recycle. I had to change all currupt parameters at one time in the dcf file and upload it than. After this it worked. Strange behaviour of the device.. anyway I am happy now :)

tomaj   10 W

10 W

Post by tomaj » Apr 15 2013 3:53pm

Hi guys!

I have the same motor, Heinzmann PMS120, the one from Brammo Enertia.

I bought KHB Kelly controller for it, but now I realized that motor has sin/cos encoder and controller has hall sensor input... :? :? So controller is useless...it is for sale now :D

An option is to buy Sevcon gen4 controller. But I am not sure if I can properly programm it.

Does someone has settings for Sevcon for PMS120 motor, so I can just upload them to controller?

Thanks for the answers.

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Apr 16 2013 5:47am

Hi,

I do have settings for the motor and encoder but I think they don`t match the Brammo stock settings. The encode needs to be set up individually with every motor. There should be a script for doing it with the dvt software, but I dont own this. If you like you can have my motor settings.

tomaj   10 W

10 W

Post by tomaj » Apr 16 2013 8:16am

Hi,

great, I appriciate your help. Motor is used in Husqvarna enduro conversion so I do not need excactly Brammo settings.
Now I am considering, buying sevcon gen4 or other motor that match with Kelly cntroller.
I am also waiting for reply from Heinzmann if there is an option to just add hall sensors to the motor.

Where did you buy your Sevcon? I am from Slovenia and really do not want to order it from USA :cry:

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Apr 16 2013 8:25am

You can buy at Heinzmann I think.

tomaj   10 W

10 W

Post by tomaj » Apr 24 2013 6:00am

Hi,

where did you buy CAN interface? How difficult is to programm the controller?

Heinzmann can not provide me correct parameters for my motor, because it is special production. The only way is to buy sevcon gen4, CAN interface and spend hours trying to programm it :cry:
The worst thing is, that I need it in 10 days :? :? :evil:

querlenker   1 W

1 W

Post by querlenker » Apr 25 2013 2:57pm

Hekko,

I bought the IXXAT usb-to-can from Heinzmann.

http://www.ixxat.com/usb-to-can-compact ... ce_en.html

I had the biggest problems with the can-settings, i/o was easy, motor has a lot of parameters, you should have a similar setup to start from.

h0tr0d   1 kW

1 kW

Post by h0tr0d » Nov 18 2015 5:56am

Hello everyone,

I have a Govecs scooter that was working beautifully until yesterday...

yesterday i was modding some parameters (not the first time) and decided to change the encoder angle (for the 1st time) and, all of the sudden, the controller stopped working.
What I see in the DVT is similar to this: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... 14#p937314

Now, I can't do anything, it seems to be stuck. The contactor doesn't power up, display doesn't work, can't enter bootloader mode...

Any ideas or commands to try?

Thanks in advance!

doc09   1 µW

1 µW

Post by doc09 » May 18 2016 2:50am

Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum.
I'm an Bachelor degree Electrical Engineer currently working on the master's thesis. a Sevcon gen4 has with a PM machine has been assigned to me and since those things can be tricky, I registered to help and get helped. I'm not good with forums (even though I read the rules) so if I do anything wrong, advise me. I'm quick to learn :wink: .

Should I open a new thread or post my doubts here?

Monstarr   100 W

100 W

Post by Monstarr » May 19 2016 3:20am

doc09 wrote:Hey everyone! I'm new to the forum.
I'm an Bachelor degree Electrical Engineer currently working on the master's thesis. a Sevcon gen4 has with a PM machine has been assigned to me and since those things can be tricky, I registered to help and get helped. I'm not good with forums (even though I read the rules) so if I do anything wrong, advise me. I'm quick to learn :wink: .

Should I open a new thread or post my doubts here?
I would suggest you open a new thread otherwise you are hijacking this one.