Making a C120-110

h0tr0d

1 kW
Hey guys and gals!

I'm probably going to buy two C12070 motor to make a bigger motor, 60mm stator.

Uniting the two stators is relatively easy but uniting 2, 7000rpm rotors, is a different matter...

Let me know your ideas!

Thanks,

RNM

Idontwanttopedal said:
Bruno got a 12095 for sale

Thanks but his 12095 has a 40mm stator so it's a 12080 geometrically speaking...

Just fab a new flux can in a size that works. You could buy new-corrected length magnets for it also.

Either way, it would be simple lathe work to modify the existing flux cans & tig weld them together.

I thought of welding but my fear is heat distorting the very thin cans. Apart from the heat possibly affecting the magnet strength...

A new can is a good idea but how do I unglue the Magnets?

What about a aluminium can over the 2 iron cans? Glued or screwed...

You won't be getting the magnets out of the can unless there is a solvent that will work on the epoxy.
The only thing that works reliably in my experience is heat....& that is death to the neo-mags.

If you turned the cans to get the magnets close enough to work...you could turn a well fitting external ring to align them..it could be a press fit, or bonded with high temp epoxy.
Let your imagination run :p

My imagination is good but I value very much well versed opinions in mechanical art like yours Thud... :wink:

Thermal shock was mentioned in a googled article for destroying epoxy bonds. Made me think of using dry ice. Perhaps dry ice inside the can and a heating pad wrapped around the outside for maximum safe (for the Magnets) delta T. I have no idea if this will work.

Found ths later:

"EMBRITTLEMENT OF ADHESIVE BONDS WITH COLD
Hard, rigid adhesives are often easier to shatter upon exposure to very cold temperatures than are more flexible
ones. Dipping the part in liquid nitrogen, wrapping it in dry ice, or otherwise bringing its temperature below -60oC
may embrittle an adhesive. Tapping of the cold part may shatter the bond and allow the parts to separate. Once
separated, a solvent soak may still be necessary to remove residual material."

Don't weld. It is be hard to balance and will break eventually. You'll need a whole new can.
You can remove old magnets by destroying the can: cut it through, all the way from front to back (one side only), spread and unfold. Magnets should fall off.
Haven't tried it, but seems doable.

What do you guys think about some pieces of metal glued between the magnets? Since the stator applies the forces to the magnets

stator bond.jpg

I have 2 options:
1- Aluminium rods and epoxy; lightweight solution?
2- Mild steel rods and steel filled epoxy; more weight but better magnetic path between magnets?

h0tr0d said:
What do you guys think about some pieces of metal glued between the magnets? Since the stator applies the forces to the magnets

I have 2 options:
1- Aluminium rods and epoxy; lightweight solution?
2- Mild steel rods and steel filled epoxy; more weight but better magnetic path between magnets?
The last thing that you want is a magnetic path between the magnets at the gap level. Magnetic spacers, less than 1/2 the magnet height might give a slight advantage as back iron. I think I would use something non-magnetic though and, if not electrically non-conductive, at least insulated. You need to break all possible paths for eddy currents.

Miles said:
The last thing that you want is a magnetic path between the magnets at the gap level. Magnetic spacers, less than 1/2 the magnet height might give a slight advantage as back iron. I think I would use something non-magnetic though and, if not electrically non-conductive, at least insulated. You need to break all possible paths for eddy currents.

Thanks Miles.
I looking at Lebowski's rotors and thought there wouldn't be a problem with something conductive between the magnets...
Can I ask (pretty, pretty please :mrgreen: ) if you can simulate that on FEMM?
Any advice on plastics for this application?
EDIT:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15386__Carbon_Strip_1x3x750mm_5pcs_set_.html?strSearch=carbon%20strip
Would this Carbon Strips be good? I imagine the fibers being parallel to the magnets...

h0tr0d said:
I looking at Lebowski's rotors and thought there wouldn't be a problem with something conductive between the magnets...
There are two issues:

The reason for spacing the magnets apart is that, if the magnets are touching or close, the flux from the edges short circuits and doesn't enter the stator. Using magnetic material to completely fill these gaps is the worst of all cases.

Whilst the fundamental frequency won't generate eddy currents in the rotor, they are generated by the harmonics. This is the reason for the use of segmented poles and insulation between the magnets and back-iron.

h0tr0d said:
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__15386__Carbon_Strip_1x3x750mm_5pcs_set_.html?strSearch=carbon%20strip
Would this Carbon Strips be good? I imagine the fibers being parallel to the magnets...
These will be only slightly electrically conductive but as there's not much advantage to using them as a spacer material anyway.....

Miles said:
There are two issues:

The reason for spacing the magnets apart is that, if the magnets are touching or close, the flux from the edges short circuits and doesn't enter the stator. Using magnetic material to completely fill these gaps is the worst of all cases.

Whilst the fundamental frequency won't generate eddy currents in the rotor, they are generated by the harmonics. This is the reason for the use of segmented poles and insulation between the magnets and back-iron.

In other words: All motors that have 100% magnet coverage of the back iron (like a hubmotor) could be better if the magnets were a bit apart?

In your inrunner you have the back iron slightly elevated between the magnets for easy mounting and better back iron "efficiency", right?
file.php

I don't need magnet spacers per se, I need something to connect the 2 rotors. Those carbon strips looked nice for that purpose...

What about putting magnets (halbach'ish array) to unite the 2 rotors? Little gains, big bucks...?

h0tr0d said:
In other words: All motors that have 100% magnet coverage of the back iron (like a hubmotor) could be better if the magnets were a bit apart?
They'd be lighter for the same active flux, that's for sure....

In your inrunner you have the back iron slightly elevated between the magnets for easy mounting and better back iron "efficiency", right?
Yes, the upstands act as spacers and to some degree as back-iron.

h0tr0d said:
I don't need magnet spacers per se, I need something to connect the 2 rotors. Those carbon strips looked nice for that purpose...

What about putting magnets (halbach'ish array) to unite the 2 rotors? Little gains, big bucks...?

Any thoughts...?

h0tr0d said:
don't need magnet spacers per se, I need something to connect the 2 rotors. Those carbon strips looked nice for that purpose..
Just for alignment, you mean? Or, structurally?

Honestly, forget it... :)

Miles said:
Just for alignment, you mean? Or, structurally?

Both. To align and impede rotation between the rotors...

I would take a mild steel sleeve whose ID is the OD of the existing cans that is the length of the entire twin cans, and use the existing can bolts (obviously longer ones would be needed) to go through both cans

Take a look at my double wide fat arse outrunner if you want some ideas.

endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41576&start=75

I would love to see more people try building double wide motors, as it really is not that hard, and the results can be impressive.

send me all your burned out hub motors.......in two's please. :mrgreen:

Farfle said:
I would take a mild steel sleeve whose ID is the OD of the existing cans that is the length of the entire twin cans, and use the existing can bolts (obviously longer ones would be needed) to go through both cans

Since normally the C120 back iron is too thin, I think I'm going to do that. More back iron = lower kv right (because I started with very thin back iron...)?

Back