Attachments
Hxm_750W_Thru_Axle.jpg
what the falco
Hxm_750W_Thru_Axle.jpg (95.24 KiB) Viewed 1079 times

ScooterMan101   10 MW

10 MW

Re: 20mm thru axle grin tech and green motion geared motor 1

Post by ScooterMan101 » Oct 09 2016 11:39am

A rear would have more people interested, ( More Buyers )

I do realise that R & D does take time, However , Rear Through Axle Hub Motors are a necessity in the Future, and seeing all the Through Axle Bikes in the Bike Shops That Necessity is here , .... Now.

A couple of considerations need to be met,
First
A Set of ( Custom ) Rear Adaptor Plates/Torque Arms will have to be made for the exact bike you are converting to electric, That Means you will have to make a mold / one for each side, and send to them to
Grin, etc. .
( other places are years behind Grin from what I am seeing in regards to improvements on e-bike conversion products.
It is easy enough to make a mold of each side of your rear through axle bike frame , just make a mold of each side, and send them in.

Then also factor in that most of the Newer Bikes use 11 Speed Cassettes, even 10 Speed is being Fazed out, there are 12 speed bikes now, however 11 speed will be the norm. So designing a Rear Through Axle Hub Motor will have to be designed to accept up to a 12 speed Cassette ( with spacers to accept 8/9/10 as well )
99% of people doing conversions do , not , want to have to change out the entire drivetrain as that would cost unnecessary expenses and time wasted . ( Shifters , Derailleurs, Chain, Crankset Chainrings )

Justin ?
melodious wrote:Hmmm. Wondering after the initial trials and tribulations are over if the transition to a rear through axle version would be in the picture.
My first conversion ... Sold

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=71378&p=1077497&hil ... 1#p1077497

It's 2018 already, ( now 2019 ) lets get some real , improved e-bike / e-velomobile / e-motorcycle designs .

John Bozi   1 MW

1 MW

Post by John Bozi » Nov 21 2016 4:12pm

Although I know the torque adapter is on the cards,

In relation to design Justin posted on the last page, I do wonder what would stop the clamps wanting to twist around when at an angle. (apart from being clamped tight as hell and the friction wont gouge) it would nice to see a pic of from the inside view (adapter was hidden behind the fork) In essence the design looks like an extra lever point and wonder if that is essential for under 3kw. (I really don't the point of more power / torque than that in front ever since traction would not allow it and doubt the motor would have the copper mass either with hubsinks and FF)

I am hoping that temporarily that the torque arm can be positioned in the 12 o'clock / vertical position closest to the arm and as mentioned either tube clamped or P clamped to the fork without more bits to possibly twist and maybe even into a spinning set of spokes.... ouch.

I was thinking of doing the p clamp and then stuffing as much polymorph into the gaps as possible to get a mould and then design it up in some metal.... will see.

Finally for some bed time reading, less about this motor but more about the concept of front power, I was looking for info about things which don't come intuitively.
I came across this from a guy writing about a 2wd MC..
Conventional telescopic fork front suspension is not suitable for 2WD. With the front wheel pulling the angle of the forks makes them extend and it interferes with the suspension action. It places extra stresses on the forks. The forks can cope with a lot of force under hard braking but that is also the time when the forks are compressed reducing the leverage on them. But with the front wheel driving the forks extend increasing the leverage on them.
f

I am hoping my fox 40s are tough enough to handle this...

Only one way to find out and very excited :) but also cautiously scared.

macribs   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by macribs » Nov 22 2016 5:19am

John Bozi wrote: I came across this from a guy writing about a 2wd MC..
Conventional telescopic fork front suspension is not suitable for 2WD. With the front wheel pulling the angle of the forks makes them extend and it interferes with the suspension action. It places extra stresses on the forks. The forks can cope with a lot of force under hard braking but that is also the time when the forks are compressed reducing the leverage on them. But with the front wheel driving the forks extend increasing the leverage on them.
I am hoping my fox 40s are tough enough to handle this...

Only one way to find out and very excited :) but also cautiously scared.

I think the way you use the front wheel power will play a big role in both the handling and how much/little strain you put on the fork. If you ride offroad you might put more strain as the riding conditions tends to be far bumpier then on smooth pavement. If you are ON the throttle the instance the natural movement of the fork would be to compress and you roll on the throttle with full power sure that might be a problem over time. Or similar after big jumps or air time. Also the amount of power in the front wheel would matter. As more power also give increased weight and more torque to "pull fork legs out when they really should be compressed".

What is more is that I think most riders will naturally find when it is right to roll on the throttle for the front motor in a 2 wd setup, just by noticing what makes a smoother ride. And there have been several 2 wd builds here already. The Duty Cycle AWD build was full suspension. I don't remember the builder expressed any problems with the forks.

bionicdan   1 kW

1 kW

Post by bionicdan » Nov 22 2016 5:43am

I had a 6kg 500w conhis motor on the front only. I used it for around 1200 miles and used three beefy tyres up and had to retire it due to oil leaking from the fork seals. My fork is renowned for leaking anyway but I feel 500w of forward motion made it worse.

The bike also tried to stand itself up on corners over 20mph and skipped about uphills, very low speed corners and take offs. From my experience I would never want more torque than I have tried upfront on its own. Im sure 2wd would help things.

I ride hard and fast so 6kg up front was no good to me hence my Gf getting it. But if I built a more sensible long range cruiser I would be happy with justins new 4kgs motor. I just personally wouldnt recommend any more power than that on a fwd.

On a positive note I even tried a 40a controller with 56v lipo and the axle never slipped. I have no torque arm just one 6mm allen bolt per side.

Sometimes I go 100 miles and would be nice to have two of justins motors on one bike just incase a controller or motor died. You would still get home fine.
GEARS? Where we're going we dont need gears!

Due to metal plates and a body full of nuts and bolts I am as bionic as my bike. Mxus 4t 120v toshiba fets and 16ah 24s nanotech.

hjns   100 kW

100 kW

Post by hjns » Nov 28 2016 8:28am

Hi all,

Just wanted to let you know I have one of Justin's Grin Hub Motors on my bench in a test fork, connected to a PhaseRunner, CAv3, and a 50V battery. Next step is building it into my Fox 34 front fork on my Haibike.

With my FS Haibike with midmotor (Front Grin Hub is NOT yet built in), I do single trails with small (1 feet) jumps. Nothing special.

build post

KR
Henk

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence