New Kelly pseudo FOC controller series

Electric Motors and Controllers
casainho   100 MW

100 MW

Re: New Kelly FOC controller series

Post by casainho » Jun 27 2017 5:59pm

Hi everyone.

I would like to know what is the microcontroller used on this FOC Kelly motor controllers. I implemented OpenSource firmware for a electric unicycle commercial board, implemented FOC with SVM as this Kelly controllers does... I am looking for controller that is capable of FOC and with a well known microcontroller like an ARM STM32. Can someone please take pictures to the details of the board and show the microcontroller reference??
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and LCDs (KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD).

If you like my work, you can consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

Merlin   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Merlin » Jun 28 2017 7:07am

wonder always where you guys buyed your controllers?!
if from kelly why you ask not the source of the controller?

iam sure you get better answers because if kelly changes firmware or hardware in the acutal series your answer from here may not be actual as you need.

casainho   100 MW

100 MW

Post by casainho » Jun 28 2017 7:53am

Merlin wrote:if from kelly why you ask not the source of the controller?
iam sure you get better answers because if kelly changes firmware or hardware in the acutal series your answer from here may not be actual as you need.
IMO things don't work like that - they will not change the products, instead they may created a new products. But I will ask them anyway.
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and LCDs (KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD).

If you like my work, you can consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

Merlin   100 kW

100 kW

Post by Merlin » Jun 28 2017 3:04pm

sounds like you never dealed with the tiny china ppl yet :D

on the kls series the first buyers had an non upgradable firmware.*boom
you got an sorry from fany or a sry but you can buy a new one :D

casainho   100 MW

100 MW

Post by casainho » Jun 30 2017 8:14pm

Merlin wrote:wonder always where you guys buyed your controllers?!
if from kelly why you ask not the source of the controller?

Got the answer from Kelly that was expected:

NO.We only provide the existing parameters for customers to adjust in the user program.
But customers can not debug the source code or their own firmware.

Thanks,
Fany

atarijedi   100 W

100 W

Post by atarijedi » Aug 24 2017 2:02am

I've been looking at the KSL-H controllers, I am wondering if anyone else has used them before? Specifically, the KLS8430H. It seems to have all the features I want in a controller.
casainho wrote:Hi everyone.

I would like to know what is the microcontroller used on this FOC Kelly motor controllers. I implemented OpenSource firmware for a electric unicycle commercial board, implemented FOC with SVM as this Kelly controllers does... I am looking for controller that is capable of FOC and with a well known microcontroller like an ARM STM32. Can someone please take pictures to the details of the board and show the microcontroller reference??
I was looking at another controller that exists, the Mobipus, and I stumbled upon the owner (or someone related to the company) looking for developers that know STM32s. So, the Mobipus controllers might use an STM32. You should ask them.

casainho   100 MW

100 MW

Post by casainho » Aug 24 2017 2:36am

atarijedi wrote:I was looking at another controller that exists, the Mobipus, and I stumbled upon the owner (or someone related to the company) looking for developers that know STM32s. So, the Mobipus controllers might use an STM32. You should ask them.
Thank you. Meanwhile, I found, bought and programmed one EBike controller that uses STM32FEBKC6T6 and does FOC, the same microcontroller used on hoverboards: https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbuck ... W-675.html

Ingo   10 mW

10 mW

Post by Ingo » Feb 05 2018 3:11pm

hi,

i have some questions to the KLS 8080IPS Controller + ME1302 Motor:

what should i do when the identification angle is finished (still showes me 170 in user programm) but the motor does not turn correct. struggles to run...

someone else here where the controller puts out at pin 8 (meter) constant 12V while the motor is turning?
and my temp sensor at my ME1302 showes me values between 30 and 246 when the motor is turning in user programm.
when the motor is steady the values are steady too.

next strange thing: the motor gets very hot (when he was still running) in ca. 3-4km it gets over 130°... despite water cooling

Allex   1 GW

1 GW

Post by Allex » Mar 07 2018 4:17pm

Is there any good guides her on ES on how to wire up/program the KLS7230S?

Scottydog   100 W

100 W

Post by Scottydog » Mar 09 2018 12:18pm

What thoughts are there over why to choose the isolated and non isolated controllers.

You can get a kls8080i
http://kellycontroller.com/brushless-kl ... 5_108.html

or the kls8080h
http://kellycontroller.com/brushless-kl ... 5_123.html

The former uses 12V to be switched on, where the later uses battery voltage.

I'm thinking myself to go with the later, though it means I'll be using up to 96V going through the ignition and kill switch rather than 12V.

SplinterOz   1 kW

1 kW

Post by SplinterOz » Mar 09 2018 4:59pm

Scottydog wrote:
Mar 09 2018 12:18pm

I'm thinking myself to go with the later, though it means I'll be using up to 96V going through the ignition and kill switch rather than 12V.
That is a major reason for selecting the isolated controller. Finding a small switch rated for 96v is difficult, 12v switches won't last and they may not turn off after quite a short number of uses. Also having 96v wiring exposed to the extremities of the bike and and user operated controls is not particularly safe.
SplinterOz
In the Capital of Australia
http://rgelectric.wordpress.com

amberwolf   100 GW

100 GW
Location: Phoenix, AZ, USA, Earth, Sol, Local Bubble, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group

Post by amberwolf » Mar 09 2018 5:18pm

SplinterOz wrote:
Mar 09 2018 4:59pm
Also having 96v wiring exposed to the extremities of the bike and and user operated controls is not particularly safe.
Especially if you're ever riding in the rain.

Not quite so bad in a completely dry environment, but still a risk. (wire abrasion, etc)

That said, you can still use the higher-voltage unit and low-votlage controls, by using relays to operate it. (whcih is probably waht it does internally)

Scottydog   100 W

100 W

Post by Scottydog » Mar 12 2018 11:24am

Thanks guys, so that was my concern. Would the switch hold up over time and is there a safety risk. My electrician mate says go with the isolated type as the contactor won't draw that much to be concerned about. I guess as pointed out could use relays and switch the DC/DC convertor to then turn on the rest of the system.

changeissimple   10 W

10 W

Post by changeissimple » Aug 20 2018 8:43pm

I am having trouble getting my kelly KLS7230S set up with my QS205. They are both new, direct from QS.
So far I have set up all the wiring, as described in their manual. Connected it to an android phone to run the auto identification
I am not able to get past the Auto identfication. by changing to the described parameters and changing the angle from 85->170. Then, powering down and then powering back up.
I had a green light, motor rotated only slightly, in both directions. (not all the way around)
I did that a few times, but kept getting the same result. Then I got a Hall Sensor Error. Then a Motor Temp Sensor error. Then a hall sensor error again. BUT still no results. I am really excited to get this thing running but need a little help. Can anyone help??

larsb   10 kW

10 kW

Post by larsb » Aug 22 2018 8:33am

You might find this thread useful, i did a short description on the identification angle programming:
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=95368#p1398898

gba   1 µW

1 µW

Re: New Kelly pseudo FOC controller series

Post by gba » Nov 12 2018 3:18am

For those trying to connect KLS controller via HC-05 or HC-06 BT modules and getting "open flash failed" error:

The BAUD rate of BT module must be set to 19200,1,0 (AT+UART=19200,1,0) .
Default baud rates on these modules are different and will not work out of the box.

My module (HC-05) works fine on 5V and doesn't need any voltage regulation.

eee291   10 kW

10 kW

Post by eee291 » Nov 13 2018 7:23am

gba wrote:
Nov 12 2018 3:18am
For those trying to connect KLS controller via HC-05 or HC-06 BT modules and getting "open flash failed" error:

The BAUD rate of BT module must be set to 19200,1,0 (AT+UART=19200,1,0) .
Default baud rates on these modules are different and will not work out of the box.

Do I need an Arduino to program it :?

izeman   10 GW

10 GW

Post by izeman » Nov 13 2018 7:31am

eee291 wrote:
Nov 13 2018 7:23am
Do I need an Arduino to program it :?
No. Just a serial adapter connect to the serial pins and power.