New Kelly pseudo FOC controller series

crossbreak

1 MW
Here are the new Kelly controllers, introducing FOC and an Anroid App. Seems like they will be programmable like the older series ones vie RS232-> USB adaper, too

Delivery date is not confirmed yet to my knowlage

SPECS for the smallest modell KLS6018S:
http://kellycontroller.com/sinusoidal-wave-brushless-motor-controller-kls24v-72v-c-105.html?osCsid=tp90c49e1q7oi6l1hmp0mdh2r1
KLS controller is supposed to reduce the noise of BLDC motor,especially for hub motor.The BLDC motor must be based on 3 hall sensors and it is necessary to use a Z-TEK USB to RS232 cable for programming controller.The APP software is based on Tablet with Android OS.

※You may buy Z-TEK USB to RS232 cable from our website.

Download Kelly KLS-S User Manual V1.3

General functions:
(1) Extended fault detection and protection. The LED flashing pattern indicates the fault sources.
(2) Monitoring battery voltage. It will stop driving if the battery voltage is too high and it will progressively cut back motor drive power as battery voltage drops until it cuts out altogether at the preset "Low Battery Voltage" setting.
(3) Built-in current loop and over current protection.
(4) Configurable motor temperature protection range.
(5) Current cutback at low temperature and high temperature to protect battery and controller.The current begins to ramp down at 90℃ case temperature, shutting down at 100℃.
(6) The controller keeps monitoring battery recharging voltage during braking.
(7) Maximum reverse speed is configurable to half of the maximum forward speed.
(8 ) A 4pin connector to RS232 port and a Z-TEK USB to RS232 cable allows for configuration,programming and software upgrades using the tablet which must be based on Android OS now.
(9) Provision of a +5 volt and +12 volt output to supply various kinds of hall sensors.
(10) 5 switch inputs which are activated by connection to 12V. Default to throttle switch, brake switch,reversing switch,forward switch and Boost switch.
(11) 2 analog 0-5V inputs that default to throttle input, and motor temperature input
(12) Copy signal of one of hall sensors.
(13) Configurable boost switch. Enables the maximum output power achievable if the switch is turned on.
(14) Maximum reverse power is configurable to half power.
(15) Configurable 12V brake signal input, in lieu of motor temperature sensor.
(16) Optional joystick throttle. A bi-symmetrical 0-5V signal for both forward and reversing.
(17) Configurable motor over-temperature detection and protection with the recommended thermistor KTY84-130.
(18) 3 hall position sensor inputs. Open collector, pull up provided. Caution! The regen is not a safe function.Usually you may use the mechanical brake.

Features:
1) Intelligence with powerful microprocessor.
2) Synchronous rectification, ultra low drop, fast SVPWM and FOC to achieve very high efficiency.
3) Electronic reversing.
4) Voltage monitoring on 3 motor phases, bus, and power supply.
5) Voltage monitoring on voltage source 12V and 5V.
6) Current sense on all 3 motor phases.
7) Current control loop.
8 ) Hardware over current protection.
9) Hardware over voltage protection.
10) Configurable limit for motor current and battery current.
11) Low EMC.
12) LED fault code.
13) Battery protection: current cutback, warning and shutdown at configurable high and low battery voltage.
14) Rugged aluminum housing for maximum heat dissipation and harsh environment.
15) Rugged high current terminals, and rugged aviation connectors for small signal.
16) Thermal protection: current cut back, warning and shutdown on high temperature.
17) Configurable 60 degree or 120 degree hall position sensors.
18 ) Configurable high pedal protection: the controller will not work if high throttle is detected at power on.
19) Current multiplication: Take less current from battery, output more current to motor.
20) Easy installation: 3-wire potentiometer will work.
21) Standard Tablet with Android OS to do programming. Need a Z-TEK USB to RS232 cable for connecting the controller to user program in Tablet.
22) User program provided. Easy to use. No cost to customers.

General Specifications:
•Frequency of Operation: 20kHz.
•Standby Battery Current: < 0.5mA.
•5V or 12V Sensor Supply Current: 40mA.
•Controller supply voltage range: PWR, 18V to 90V for controllers rated equal or lower than 72V.
•Supply Current, PWR, 30mA Typical.
•Configurable battery voltage range, B+. Max operating range: 18V to 1.25*Nominal Voltage.
•Standard Throttle Input: 0-5 Volts(3-wire resistive pot), 1-4 Volts(hall active throttle).
•Throttle Input: 0-5 Volts. Can use 3-wire pot to produce 0-5V signal.
•Main Contactor Coil Driver<2A.
•Full Power Operating Temperature Range: 0℃ to 70℃(MOSFET temperature).
•Operating Temper ature Range: -40℃to 100℃ (MOSFET temperature).
•Motor Current Limit, 10 seconds boost: 240A ,depending on the model.
•Motor Current Limit, continuous: 100A ,depending on the model.
•Max Battery Current :Configurable.

Attachments

• kelly.png
    kelly.png
    51.9 KB · Views: 13,527
we can change/reprogram settings from the android app itself..? no need to connecting to PC ?

if able to change settings means,
android only model (with no rs232 or usb connectors, will reduce the size of board/price)-less complex
normal model with rs232 and other options.

ok there WONT BE ANY PC SOFTWARE TO PROGRAM THIS KIND OF CONTROLLER according to fany. only way to program will be the android app through their native USB to RS232 interface.

so i have a big problem since i have no idea of this USB stuff. I own an android phone since 4 years now but never tried to connect any stuff via USB. USB is more like using it for uploading music/video on my phone :? how can this even work? I use my phone as a PC-DEVICE but never as a USB Master?!?

E-RPM limit is 40k erpm just like the KBS-X series

thanks for the infos crossbreak. i wonder if these FOC controllers now work better in combination with direct drive hubs. As example the KBSX are a bad choice if you want serious torque at low RPM.

madin88 said:
As example the KBSX are a bad choice if you want serious torque at low RPM.
I Fear the same as these are sinewave... would be nice if this was not the case..

Motor Current Limit, 10 seconds boost: 240A ,depending on the model.
•Motor Current Limit, continuous: 100A ,depending on the model
crossbreak do you know if the rated current limits are batt amps or phase amps @ $89 im guessing phase amps.

it for sure is PHASE amp. kelly always rates their controllers over the phase amps.
as you already said, if you look at the size (and pricing) as well it can't be battery current.
but they are rated quite high. if even the smallest one can provide 240 phase amps for 10s than this is quite a lot.
i also would like to know how they perform at zero/low rpm. this massive lack of torque is ok for the gears of my middrive, but it's a real fun killer ;). even with 2.5kw (and 100 phase amps) in the lowest gear the controller just cuts off if i want to start on a too steep hill instead of lifting the front wheel.

crossbreak said:
so i have a big problem since i have no idea of this USB stuff. I own an android phone since 4 years now but never tried to connect any stuff via USB. USB is more like using it for uploading music/video on my phone :? how can this even work? I use my phone as a PC-DEVICE but never as a USB Master?!?
i took a look at the kelly homepage. and looked at the rs232 cable they sell. for me this looks like a combination of a "regular" micro usb OTG cable and an usb to rs232 converter. the otg cable can be ordered on ebay for <$5 and usb<->rs232 is what you already use to connect the "old" kellys to your pc's usb port.

edit: this is the complete solution from a german seller http://www.ebay.de/itm/Delock-Adapter-Micro-USB-Seriell-RS-232-fur-Android-62533-/141724896255?hash=item20ff764bff#shpCntId

edit: or this one from china with free shipping http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Z-tek-usb2-0-rs232-serial-cable-original-ic-ze613-android/1709783146.html

i can't see any software download?!
is kelly asking us to buy an usb<->rs232 adapter and an android tablet (together $140 plus p&p, plus import and sales tax) just to configure the controller? or will the software be free for download?
i guess as soon as someone has bought the tablet the cracked app will be available anyhow, so this makes no big sense to me.

izeman i thought so... 2 things i know kelly are famous for is soft starts and exaggerated performance ... not knocking these though they look good.
On performance .... we will have to wait for the first members assessment.

i just read
you can configure controller with a host computer with rs232
or usb port
:D

Edit Update! good news, got a contact from kelly they dont have the windows software ready now, but i have got the android apk, installed it on my android phone and works
As far as i can tell without a controller.
Its a first edition not sexy but quite a few parameters batt volt / motor temp/ halls all that stuff... and i read they will be updating it.
izeman i suppose the tablet option from kelly is for those who dont want to use there expensive phone.

yes. i can confirm that. fany sent me the dl link. everything fine.
and i ordered the smallest cobtroller. good for 100A constant and 240A peak phase this should be good for my 2.5kW bike @50V easily.
i hope it has some decent acceleration and makes the motor whine go away.
they said they have to build it still so it will be some days delay before they send it. np for me.

i received the controller today. normally this is done for new iphones and stuff, but i decided to do an un-pack photo series of the controller for you :)
the box is big, and the controller (being the smallest of the whole series) is BIG as well. and heavy. i was not checking size numbers before, and expected to have something like the small KBS i already have (being tiny). the controller has a HUGE heat sink.
i have NO idea how to mount that thing on my bike. i planned to remove the board and stuff and mount it in my own case. but i'm not sure this is doable now that i see the size of it. we'll see.

here are the pics:

IMG_0038.JPG
IMG_0040.JPG
IMG_0041.JPG
IMG_0043.JPG
IMG_0044.JPG

thanks for posting pics
what model is this exactly?
I'm looking forward to hear how you like it. hopefully it works well together with the MAC motor.

seems like there are 5 models with different sizes:

KLS..12s, 18s, 25s, 30s and 40s
the 12s has same size as KBS-X

I got mine today as well.

BUNxs72HN-L2oOSZi0vH9mVB801N-EcUexqLCk7GBTg=w2195-h1235-no

One 300amp small one and 420 in the larger size.

:)

cwah said:
60 × 240 = 15 Kw.
An adapto max-e is 10KW and the new one will be 12KW. If you drop few KW you can get a much smaller max-e!

no. the equation is wrong. kelly always rates their controllers for PHASE amps. so this is really a 100A current phase and 240A boost for 10s.
but for this there is a MUCH lower voltage than 60V. so basically this controller should be good for 3-4kW.

Back