infineon REGEN mod (or what's the max regen you can do)

izeman

1 GW
in another thread i wrote about my idea of a motor test stand. and i've already selected 30x 100w resistors to make them a 3kW load.
but i'd also like to try to use a 2nd controller for the generator in REGEN mode to generate the load.
unfortunately all infineon/xie chang/etc type setup software only lets you choose between 3 different levels.
i'd like to use the controller while doing regen in the same way (power wise) as it behaves while accelerating. so if i have a 12FET rated for 4kW motor load i'd like to enable regen and get 4kW (or any other similar number) REGEN. is this possible, and if yes: how? some kind of hardware mod, or maybe i over looked something in the setup software??

it's always the same. i think about it for days, then open a thread, and then i can see the solution in front of me ... ;)
i think that regen as set in the controller software is just a percentage of the phase/battery amps you set i hope. so if i set those values to very high values it would also raise the regen current? i guess i will have to try out when i have the motor stand built, as i don't own a bike that uses regen.

I don't know much about how the controller uses regen, although I have an infineon and have looked at the software, i've never used the regen. You might be right that the levels are percentages of the amperage, so that's good, but I assumed you wanted a more on/fly adjustment?

If we can add pots/rheostats to chargers and welders, perhaps the same is possible for controllers, for both/either draw or regen? Set everything to max, then have a rheostat or something to limit the current?
Maybe Paul Em3 might know something?

Interesting topic though, I would think it would also make a setup more useful for power generation, like wind or water, which interests me. Someone must have done this right?

thanks for your reply. no. i don't need adjustable regen. i know this is not possible with the infineons. it has to be programmed.
but as this controller is used stationary in a test stand i can re-program it to my needs quite easily.
the real question is: HOW MUCH regen can it do? and on what does it depend, or what determs the maximum regen? does it depend on the operating voltage? on the motor used? on the max phase or maximum battery current programmed?

With the Infineon controllers regen has 2 fixed current limits available via the programming. Shunt modification is how to change it, and then hopefully you have a programmable setup to get your battery and phase current limits back to the real amount you want.

eg Take some thin strand copper and weave it from the base of the shunt legs on one side to near the centerline of the shunts. Then soak some solder into that copper to ensure good contact with the shunt wires. Now your shunt will have half the resistance and the controller will allow double the current through with the same settings, ie double the phase and battery current (unless you reprogram) and double the regen current, so double the braking torque.

I have a 36fet Infineon that SteveO put 12 or 15 shunt wires on to increase current back in the days before we had programming above 100A for Infineons. Even with the regen setting on low the regen force packs a wallop, and you better be prepared when you hit regen with that controller. If I recall correctly I've seen regen as high as 7kw with that rig.

Back