Cyclone, Brushless, 7500w motor

nrvwaters said:
Hello,

Has anyone had experience with this motor?

http://www.turbobikekit.com/electric-electronic-parts-voltage/motor/cyclone-7500watt-7.5kw-brushless-dc-motor-48volt-72volt

Thank you.

Just came across this motor on http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order-motors.htm and your post seems only related search result. Also interested on more info about it. :?

The video claims 100-km/h (62-MPH). If its truly capable of swallowing 7500W without overheating (75V X 100A?) then I personally wouldn't use it on bicycle components. I am not a supporter of the "nanny state", and I don't want my government to "protect me from myself", but...this motor (like the 3000W cyclone) is more suited to a left side drive single-speed.

The 3000W Cyclone kit is having difficulty in the rest of the drivetrain surviving already. The only reason to upgrade to a heavier and larger motor is to be able to use more power, yes? The now-common two-chainring freewheeling BB that seems to be at the core of the average mid-drive is getting pounded by the 3000W cyclone, with an expected very short life-cycle. Derailleurs? bent and broken.

If someone truly wants to experiment with this motor, I would recommend #420 chain and sprockets at a minimum.

Thanks for the reply. I AM certainly considering a single speed with heavier chain/sprockets. I am curious that this site is Greek and sells Cyclone products because Cyclone is Taiwan based and doesnt sell this 7500w motor. ??? Do you recognize this company?

nrvwaters said:
because Cyclone is Taiwan based and doesnt sell this 7500w motor. ??? Do you recognize this company?
I believe, you can buy it directly from Taiwan and link is already listed 2 posts above. In "contact us" section you will see a factory in TW and distributors all around the world, including Greece ( http://www.cyclone-tw.com/order-motors.htm , http://www.cyclone-tw.com/contact.htm)

Quite right Parabellum. I missed that somehow. The 7,500w motor didn't show up in my searches on the Taiwan site a couple weeks ago but does now. Still doesn't show up on the USA or North America sites but I guess maybe this motor is new enough that the web development is catching up.
On the link you mention I noticed another motor - the 6,000w. I received a quick response from Taiwan to some questions about it. They say it's not as good as the 7,500 and is actually heavier @ 9.1kg vs 7.8kg for the 7,500w. They also say it has half the torque 50Nm vs 100 for the 7,500. The other issue is that the 6,000w motor is 38mm longer than the 7,500. I sent another email this evening asking:
- if they have North American based distributors for the 7,500w motor so I can save some on shipping vs. UPS out of Taiwan.
- is it water proof
- does it have a temp sensor wire attached
I will post their responses if anyone is interested.
Smiles

If its continuous which it very well might be, then it would max out at 14k+ watts, not 10k watts.
Maybe would probably mean a huge motor. It does not seem logical for a 8k nominal and 10k peak.

markz said:
If its continuous which it very well might be, then it would max out at 14k+ watts, not 10k watts.
Maybe would probably mean a huge motor. It does not seem logical for a 8k nominal and 10k peak.

Peak is typically 1.414x (sqrt(2)) of average/continuous. Continuous would be .707x of Peak.

atarijedi said:
markz said:

Peak is typically 1.414x (sqrt(2)) of average/continuous. Continuous would be .707x of Peak.

its not that quite simple sadly... take a vented vs non vented hub for example. the peak power wont change at all, but the continuous power could increase by 100%. Or a more extreme example is taking a motor and wrapping it up in 3feet of insulation... the peak power wont change at all, but the continuous power is now likely only a few % of the peak, where it may have been 70% in open air...

All the small difference between peak and continuous says is that either
A
They're overrating the motor to a large degree, and the continuous is more like 50% of what they claim (just to pick a number)
B
The thermal path for this motor is very good (ie windings have a good low R heat path to the casing) and thus the cont power rating is very close to the max...
C
Peak power is actually much higher
or D
Some combination of all 3, and maybe some other factors ive not thought of... :p
I wouldn't be surprised if its both A and C actually.

I'm currently talking with them re getting either this motor, or its bigger brother (18kw) - just trying to get more details on the motor sizes before deciding. So we may find out sometime soon just how much power this motor can take :twisted:

minde28383 said:
Hi sn0wchyld,
what did you find out about their 18kw motor?

its basically a larger version of the well known lr/big block motor (as is the 7.5kw version), about 200mm dia and 160mm deep. 10.5kg (vs 8kg for the 7.5kw) So kinda hard to fit on a ebike, but would fit easily on a motorbike.

I have a quote from TW for the 7500w motor, controller and 72v battery and throttle. I am curious about the motor and how the controller reacts to the throttle. If i suddenly back off, does the motor drastically slow down such that a direct drive connection would throw one off the bike?

I am thinking of converting a gas powered ROKON motorcycle to this electric. It has a 7hp gas Kohler motor on it. SO, I am thinking there will be an increase in HP.

I just don't know if I will need a CVT or a free wheel bearing or can go with direct belt drive.

Attachments

• electric motor kit.jpg
    electric motor kit.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 8,594
On the link you mention I noticed another motor - the 6,000w. I received a quick response from Taiwan to some questions about it. They say it's not as good as the 7,500 and is actually heavier @ 9.1kg vs 7.8kg for the 7,500w. They also say it has half the torque 50Nm vs 100 for the 7,500. The other issue is that the 6,000w motor is 38mm longer than the 7,500. I sent another email this evening asking:
Wow thats one big heavy lump... 8 to 9kg lol not suitable to bicycle use i would think.. probably better size is the c3000w only 4kg motor some people like AFT i have seen them run then at 72v 6kw peaks which i would think is more than enough power

I own this cyclone kit w/a 7500w motor. It is FAST on my mongoose 26" MTB. In answer to the sudden stop question(benmc65), when cutting the throttle I have not had the problem of being "thrown over the front" on my bike. I would think the extra weight inertia would keep the bike going even if throttle was cut. Maybe I'm wrong.
I weigh 230 lbs, and I use this as a commuter bike to work with 20lbs of clothing, helmet, and backpack. I've done 55 with it and was scared for my life! Someone spoke of the extra weight vs the 3000 kit (9kg vs 4 kg). I understand that reasoning, but I can tell you it doesn't matter. This thing can wheelie.
I got it from the Greece distributor, turbobikekit.com. He's great to work with and will do right by you. My battery is from Calibike,72v/20AH, the new black triangle one. It's great and has a resettable fuse like a circuit breaker. For Calibike I got the same great treatment, owner is Rafe, he was great to work with, too. Fast response and answers to tech questions.
The biggest problem has been matching battery strength to controller current draw. I'm looking up now whether I can reprogram the kit controller (lunacycle.com rates this controller at 120 max amps!)

https://lunacycle.com/cyclone-XL-7500w-ebike-middrive/

I don't think I can reprogram it. Live and learn-I should have checked the controller max amps to match the battery, but even if I did, this controller/motor combo is so strong I doubt I could find a sellable battery to match it. Anybody know of one? It must be really expensive.

Other than that, the only other issue has been drive chain breaking, predictable due to motor strength. Getting a stronger one speed KMC BMX chain to fix this.

These guys did a pretty good review on the kit. They're right, it is not easy to put in but it's worth it IMHO.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/01/12/cyclone-3000w-mid-drive-if-youre-gonna-build-something-this-illegal-then-it-better-be-able-to-outrun-the-cops/

omeone spoke of the extra weight vs the 3000 kit (9kg vs 4 kg). I understand that reasoning, but I can tell you it doesn't matter. This thing can wheelie.

i don't like 5kg extra , put 5 litres of milk in your back pack and tell me you like it :)

So yeah I responded in the quote but I wanted to ask if BMX chains in general were stronger, and they are all 1 speed. Then I'd assume if you wanted strength out of a 1 speed, from motor to crank gear, a #35 chain and gear would be optimal for 7.5kW motor. To run from crank to rear its about 122'ish links, most chains are 116 links, and I found an ebike chain at 124 links. That link # for links is single speed to rear, if you wanted to use your RD to change gears then perhaps a 135-140 links would be required, I'd assume.

Cyclonefan said:
I weigh 230 lbs, and I use this as a commuter bike to work with 20lbs of clothing, helmet, and backpack. I've done 55 with it and was scared for my life! Someone spoke of the extra weight vs the 3000 kit (9kg vs 4 kg). I understand that reasoning, but I can tell you it doesn't matter. This thing can wheelie. Wow, at 7500W I wonder how long your drive train will last

The biggest problem has been matching battery strength to controller current draw. I'm looking up now whether I can reprogram the kit controller (lunacycle.com rates this controller at 120 max amps!)

https://lunacycle.com/cyclone-XL-7500w-ebike-middrive/

I don't think I can reprogram it. Live and learn-I should have checked the controller max amps to match the battery, but even if I did, this controller/motor combo is so strong I doubt I could find a sellable battery to match it. Anybody know of one? It must be really expensive. There are a few options you can do, one is the 26650 LiFePO4 that can spit out 50+A each, so when you put it in parallel say 5P thats 250A!!!

Other than that, the only other issue has been drive chain breaking, predictable due to motor strength. Getting a stronger one speed KMC BMX chain to fix this. OK this is why I am responding, you are saying the BMX chains are stronger generally speaking?

These guys did a pretty good review on the kit. They're right, it is not easy to put in but it's worth it IMHO.
https://electricbike-blog.com/2016/01/12/cyclone-3000w-mid-drive-if-youre-gonna-build-something-this-illegal-then-it-better-be-able-to-outrun-the-cops/

I'm considering this motor for installation in a lightweight KLR 250 dual sport motorcycle.
My first concern is that the cyclone usually is configured to drive the chain on the right side, while the KLR, like most motorcycles, drives the chain on the left side. I asked LunaCycle's support if the motor could be wired to spin in the opposite direction. They said that it could (which I had hoped and kind of expected) but then added the caveat that it might not be fully functional. That was the really important question, that wasn't answered.

Has anyone on this forum used this motor for a motorcycle conversion?

If the motor won't work properly with reverse rotation, I can think of a couple of possible options:
1)Perhaps a jackshaft set-up to conduct the power over to the left side.
2)Perhaps I could simply flip the rear wheel over to put the sprocket on the right hand side. There is a lever for the rear (drum) brake, which would then be on the wrong side, but I could probably run a cable in place of the rod.

If anyone has done such a conversion with this motor, I'd also like to know where they sourced an appropriate drive gear for the motor and what batteries they used and speeds they achieved.

Thanks,
Mike

Back