Powerfull front fork hub motor

born49

100 mW
Hello guys,
I am looking for some direct drive hub motor with power around 3kW which
fits into 100 mm dropouts fork. I don't intend to actually use it front fork
of bike, but in rear fork of my downhill kick-scooter. So far, I found that
some of the Crystalyte HSxx motors are made for front fork, but they are
around 1500w which is not enough for me :)

Thanks for any tips !

Cheers
Petr

Just came across this 5303 front hub for sale. It needs hall sensors or a sensorless controller but the user says it works fine other than that.

https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=79781

Last i knew user Steveo had a 5304 front hub for sale. I think these 53xx are about as powerful as you are going to get without modification or ordering custom.

Ebikes.ca had a sale on the new 9c front motors with statorade added for heat dissapation. Probably still going. They had some fast winding options too. They were $175. Bet you could torture one of those for short bursts if you watched the heat.

There is also the muxus front motor that might do well with some light mods. I think they offer it with the aluminum stator support. Its not the 3k watt rated motor with 45mm stator but might do ok.

Dont let the ratings fool you. Most of these motors will do many times the rating. Motor choice is more based on how long you want to get away with it. Short high power bursts are easy with cooling mods.

Where are you located? Just realized i was only giving north america options.

Hi Dan !

Thanks for tips ! I looked over sphere forums a lot last night, but I somehow missed that
the 53xx motors are made with 100 mm dropouts (front fork). I am from Europe and
I found Crystalyte HS3540 front-fork-version for what I thought to be good price ~250e in Austria.
As impatient as I am when ordering components for exciting build I ordered it already. Yes, I have
read mixed reviews on local forums, but it seems, one should be able to draw 2kW continously
and 4kW in short bursts, especially when venting holes are present. I hope, that this
motor will not disappoint me to much :) Maybe I'll have to reevaluate my expectations, but
I was after 'brutal' acceleration just for fun.

I also ordered MXUS 3000w V2 from E4Bike about month ago, but unfortunately it got stuck
somewhere and I see real chance that it will never come to me. Also, it has 135 mm dropouts
and I am not sure if it is moddable to 100 mm dropouts somehow.

I will check the 53xx front motors specs and will probably get one, when 3540 will not deliver :)

Thanks again !

You would not be the first to take a 35xx over 2kw. I'm not sure what your scooter fork specs are but some of the fat-tire bikes used 135mm hub spacing for the front wheel. You can find used forks from bikes like the Surley pugsley to use rear wheel 135mm motors on the front of a bike. There are also a few 20" wheel fat-tire bikes on the market so if you need a small wheel fork that could be an option as well.

Good luck with your build.

This is kick scooter I am going to motorize :

mibo_rozmery%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Rear wheel (now std bike 20") will be exchanged for 16" moped rim with HS3540, so hopefully there will be some good torque. The frame is from steel and with torque arms it should be robust enough. I would rather not use front wheel drive, even if it would be possible to find forks with 135mm dropouts. Thank for your suggestions anyway - I really appreciate your help ! :)

Oh yeah, forgot you just needed a front width but not for front mounting. That scooter looks fun. The dropouts look really easy to modify/bolt to. It would be tempting to try and adapt it to 135mm. I like making extra work for myself though.

born49 said:
This is kick scooter I am going to motorize :

mibo_rozmery%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Rear wheel (now std bike 20") will be exchanged for 16" moped rim with HS3540, so hopefully there will be some good torque. The frame is from steel and with torque arms it should be robust enough. I would rather not use front wheel drive, even if it would be possible to find forks with 135mm dropouts. Thank for your suggestions anyway - I really appreciate your help ! :)

that looks awesome :D

I like that kickbike/footbike frame. Do you have a vendor link?

Won't be easy finding large powerful 100mm front motors but it would be worth it if you do.

I've powered a few Sidewalker brand kickbikes with 9C front hub motors in rear dropouts. 2kW or so is pretty fun.

The frame is 'Mibo Dextro' : http://mibospace.com/specs/dextro/dextro.htm

from Mibo : http://www.mibo.cz/?lang=eng

I believe they make Dextro per-request as there is no big market for it in our country. I finally went
with Cystalyte HS3540 (front version placed in rear fork of frame). I plan to apply all useful mods to it which I found on
sphere forums and pump 4-5 kW peaks through it :) Hopefully, I'll post results soon :)

Cool, thanks for that. Probably not much USA option but I like standup escooters.

I also like this “rental” frame - http://mibospace.com/specs/gigant/gigant.htm Not a fan of drum brakes but cool “Ruckus” looking frame.

However, the biggest problem with this mode of stand-cycle IMO is where/when the front wheel drops into a pothole and the frame contacts the road. Also the area just behind where the steer tube meets the flat deck suffers from extreme loading and eventually metal fatigue. And as mentioned, approaching 20 MPH wind resistance really picks up.

I’m still trying to find a good close up picture of the Mibo’s where the steer tube meets the front lower deck? I do like the slightly upward curve. Wow, just noticed the Dextro is kinda heavy into 40lbs range?

In an ideal configuration, that leading edge area would resemble something like a smooth faced stake driver or sledgehammer. Something that can survive related bashings into pavement and shaped in such way that it doesn’t “catch” and merely deflects off of whatever it strikes.

Seems like a slanted plate extension of the foot board would be a nice safety measure. Looks really easy to feed your foot or butt to the rear wheel on a hard launch. Would be nice to have something more vertical to brace against.

I bet that is going to feel way faster than an equally powered bike. Please post vids when you get it going.

Yes, the scooter is very heavy. It has around 18-19 kg. Also, frame is made from steel
and feels very robust. I believe it can take some beating. Here is video, where
one guy is taking pretty deep jumps with dextro: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55HUGfzR97Q

I hope that potential pothole hit should be somehow reduced by front fork suspension. However I'll try to avoid
such collisions. If you tell me exactly what part of frame you want to see, I can take picture
with no problem :)

Torque arms will be there for sure. I have 3 x 6s Multistar 16 Ah lipo batteries, which will be
used in series.

Dan - you are right with the protection measures in rear wheel area - I'll try to come up with something.
Videos will be there :)

I almost finished the build and created thread about it here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80651&p=1188486#p1188486

The promised videos will be placed there, when available :)

Ykick said:
I like that kickbike/footbike frame. Do you have a vendor link?

Won't be easy finding large powerful 100mm front motors but it would be worth it if you do.

I've powered a few Sidewalker brand kickbikes with 9C front hub motors in rear dropouts. 2kW or so is pretty fun.

Jeez, sorry for the Nero post, bug you’ve already what I’ve been toying with for 3 years! Nice scoots!

Hopefully I can have dropouts quickly, BUT what did you use? I have a couple of each Grin design. Will. Need another Solution? Seems Doc and another similar dropouts are made of unobtanium.

Back