Most durable motor specs

W1R3D

1 mW
Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
Hi All,
I am starting this topic as I want to know what makes a motor durable and reliable. Basically a offroad motorcycle but runing on electricty.
So please add your links below and assist me on finding the most durable motor setup known to man...

Take 50KW combo and run in 10KW with all temperature kickback stuff and you almost got it. To be sure let it stand in the garage and it gets bulletproof then! :D
You could also give more details of what you need (do not be shy but very detailed) and get some real answers from real users.

I was at the Finke Desert Race and the idea of running a bike/buggy on electricity came to mind.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finke_Desert_Race

Its roughly 230 kms down and the same 230 kms back race over 2 days. Plus a run at Prologue, a full day before to build the starting grid for the race down.

I know the fastest bikes and buggies can complete the down and back just under 4 hours. It is one of the harshest offroad races you can do in Australia.
Personally i would pefer a buggie than a bike.
There are stops along the track where the bikes fuel up.

I was thinking how cool it would be to just finish it, with the idea of doing so without fuel.
The vehicle would need to be durable and perform just like the current vehicles so to be competive.
But we all know the petrol BHP is not the same as electric BHP with the added advantage of 100% of torque available when ever.

Holy smokes batman! That race is nuts... I can see why you are thinking durability. Last time I was out in central I was dreaming electric too... But more on-road dreams....
I think the motor is easy compared to a battery that is going to be able to withstand even a few minutes of the hell you'll put it through!!!
Put your battery in on of those paint shaker things ( think the Simpsons ) and see how long it lasts LOL! If it does 5hrs- you're ON!! :mrgreen:

Yeah sadly i dont think the engineering or technology currently available for electric vehicles is upto the demands for finishing even 1 of the 230km legs of this race. To just finish the race in the set time of 4 hours you need to maintain an average of 80 kph and to be competive to win a class its something more like 100kph.
Put aside the durability needed for the motor and battery I think the biggest hurdle is battery capacity and weight.
With motorbikes there are fuel stops, which give the chance to swap out batteries however with buggies or cars there are no fuel stops.
It is a shame that we cannot take on the petrol burners in races like this or even the Dakar.
Its just a dream for now..

Well if you build a 4 wheeler you get more room for batteries. [strike]Add a stack of sevcons and as many as needed of the Zero motors tuned to running dual controllers.[/strike] Edited: Man that race is so long, and so tough that just finding the right amount of horsepower and torque needed will be a daunting task. We are talking worst battery conditions all the way. Dessert heat, prolonged hi power drain from prolonged WOT, max acceleration and lots of breaking. Meaning your battery pack will need to be over the top constructed from the get go. I really think you need a Tesla MS 90D P and a second hand race chassis and make a fusion :)

But the challenge will be to do 230 km in one go, I am guessing that race is more or less WOT where possible and as fast as possible the rest of the way. So you will need a lot of batteries. Then again do as Tesla and have the batteries under the frame and you will get low center of gravity. At least that is something.

What is your budget? Unless you sink a large amount of money into batteries and heavy duty racing parts I don't think you will make the race. Could you possible arrange to do as many road side fast charging as needed? If you get as many used gas generators as needed in parallel. If you can do quick charge say in 30 minutes or less will that work?

I would imagine a crazy idea like this holds a big potential to harvest sponsors if you start knocking on doors. If you are the only one running electric just coming across the finish line will be a victory on its own. And between everyone else below the winner on the result list and you, I am certain you will be the one with most press coverage. Who cares about number three in a race if one vehicle truly stands out among the rest?

Edited:
Wow I just watched a highlight of last years race, that race is insane. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lk1z8kA6-Fc

I think your best bet would be to find a used custom build race vehicle, ie with blown motor or scrapped transmission and strip out everything gasoline related. You need serious racing parts to be able to make that race. Like hi quality racing shocks. Hi qual brakes, light as possible chassis, but strong as fcuk. Then you need to fit a big ass battery case underneath and that will make for a lot of weight. Man you need to start gathering a team of mechanics, sponsors, builders etc. That race is no one mans task to prepare and get ready for if you are not familiar with race build.

Have you heard of "Accionia" ...or drive eO ?
They develop EVs to compete in the Dakar type Rally Raid events
http://www.acciona.com/news/acciona-compete-dakar-rally-first-ever-zero-emission-electric-car
http://driveeo.com/oscar-eo/
That may give you an idea of the amount of equipment, effort and development needed to even compete in an off road event in an EV.

Back