Modern, compact and powerfull controller

born49

100 mW
Hello guys,
I managed to somehow corrupt my 12 FET Lyen controller by doing 6 kW bursts on hot day.

Now I am looking for controller which is:
- reasonable powerfull (take 6-7kw bursts without any issue)
- has nice and smooth throttle delivery (this is important :) )
- has compact package (the smaller, the better)
- does not cost absurd amount of $
- work at least at 18s voltage

Yes, I searched forums before asking :) I have my eye on Kelly KLS6018S :
http://kellycontroller.com/kls6018s24v-60v240asinusoidal-brushless-motor-controller-p-1339.html

I am however confused about voltage rating. In title, the describe it as '24V-60V', yet in detailed specs
there is text: "Controller supply voltage range: PWR, 18V to 90V for controllers rated equal or lower than 72V."
Can somebody who understand this decode it for me ? :) Does it work on 18s ?

Are there any widely used and proven controllers with similar specs ? I have seen the Adaptto controllers, but
they are little bit pricey for my taste. Also, I looked at Sabvotons but they seem to be too large to fit my
vehicle.

Thanks !
Petr

18S is 75.5v so it will work no problem.

you will start blowing stuff up beyond 20s.

Thanks !

I was confused by :

"KLS6018S,24V-60V,240A,SINUSOIDAL BRUSHLESS MOTOR CONTROLLER"

Why they specify voltage range 24-60V ?

flippy said:
18S is 75.5v so it will work no problem.

you will start blowing stuff up beyond 20s.

18s is not 75.5V. It would be called a 67V nominal battery. Controllers are named based on nominal voltage. The top of charge voltage comes into play when you're looking at controller specs and their voltage limits.

Sorry to be picky about it, but I've noticed lately a number of people calling their packs by their top of charge voltage, and it's misleading in terms of both power and energy capacity. You can never get power at a pack's top-of-charge voltage, because there is always voltage sag under load and voltage decreases with status of charge during operation. The energy available from a battery pack is it's nominal voltage times the amp-hours of capacity.

John in CR said:
Controllers are named based on nominal voltage.

please tell that to the companies that make the controllers.

Thanks for clarifying this John !

I noticed that aforementioned limits are in 'nominal' voltage in other forum posts / controller manuals, but I still find some
parts of documentation confusing :)

On the other side: do you guys have any tips for approx 6-8 kW controllers with torque throttle control, that are not placed
in huge boxes ?

Kelly controllers seems to be right size-wise, but they are speed throttle and also plagued with some (minor) issues
here and there. Also, not upgradable firmware puts me off.

Sabvoton controllers (SVMC072100, SVMC072150) seems to have right parameters, but they are huge !

Adaptto Midi-E seems to be perfect, except the higher price.

Please give me some tips ! :) What do you use at this performance level ?

After literally two minutes of hard riding, the 4.2V per cell charge will drop down to the nominal 3.7V per call charge. So...

20S X 4.2V = 84V (hot off the charger)
20S X 3.7V = 74V (what your motor kV and performance should be calculated at for 80% of the ride)

18S X 4.2V = 75V
18S X 3.7V = 66V

Capacitors in the controller "should" be rated for a few volts over the maximum they will ever see. "48V" controllers use 60V capacitors. Do the math. Or...blow your capacitors and then complain on endless-sphere about how Chinese controllers are crap (because it couldn't possibly be that it is your fault, simply because you wanted to save some time and a couple bucks)

However I still have hard time finding non-chinese powerfull enough controllers except Adaptto. Will keep searching.

The manual states this clearly

Max operating range: 18V to 1.25*Nominal Voltage
this is 75V for the 60V model. So if your pack has 75.5V hot of the charger, it will stop and tell it has an overvoltage error.

Guess the Caps in the controller are rated 80V or even 100V

We spec our mid-range controllers to have IRFB3077 MOSFETs and 100V Caps, which makes them ideal for 60V (16S) nominal batteries, and capable of 18S as long as you limit the charge to the MOSFET's max of 75.0V.

Lebowski controller. I have a spare PCB, for £10 chip off lebowski. And build your own power stage.

Easy ;) . Well not easy, but maybe best you can get right now.

[moderator edit to fix spelling in drunk text]

I have seen Lebowski controller being mentioned on local forums a lot.
However I did not look into it yet. I cannot design + create PCB board, but
if there exists pre-made PCBs, I think I'll be able to put it together and
make it work :) Also, if I'll be able to tinker with software which is driving
the controller, I'll be very happy. If you have some parts for Lebowski controller
which you don't need, I'll happily buy it from you !

PCB is already printed double sided from PCBway in china, I did a group buy and reserved four for my own purposes but I don't need all four. As for the software it is written by endless sphere user lebowski and is closed source but the parameters are all tweakable which means you can make it work with nearly any 3 phase bldc motor. Anyway PM me your address if you want a PCB £10, the chip from lebowski is 25 chf (swiss franc) I think. Then there is a bom for the rest of the parts on the build thread.

The smallest and most powerful controller for its size that I can think of is the phaserunner controller from ebikes.ca

Should meet your requirements spot on. Size is (L x W x H, mm) 99 x 40 x 34 mm. It will fit in the palm of your hand. Literally.

WScJpwX.jpg

After lot of searching I finally decided & bought Adaptto Midi-E (8 kW). After testing it on my electric kickbike, I can say
it is worth the money :) Their torque based throttle control is exactly what I looked for: precise & smooth.
Also, while enjoying ride with this controller I'll start building Lebowski. Will let you know, how they compare.

Back