Reverse and Freewheel? Quad Project

Electric Motors and Controllers
skyeg3   1 W

1 W

Reverse and Freewheel? Quad Project

Post by skyeg3 » Sep 10 2016 6:57pm

I am designing an offroad quad and I want to use motors inline and connected via shaft to each rear wheel. I really want reverse as this vehicle is for disabled people who cannot get out and push so I don't think I can use a freewheel. However I think having direct drive is going to be annoying when I'd like to just coast. So my question is how can I have reverse but not have to run the motors downhill? Maybe running the motors wont be so terrible but it just seems annoying. The motor will most likely be something like the cyclone 3000w which has planetary gears built in the get the reduction needed here.
Last edited by skyeg3 on Dec 12 2016 5:40pm, edited 1 time in total.

Adverse Effects   10 W

10 W

Re: Reverse and Freewheel? Quad Project

Post by Adverse Effects » Sep 10 2016 8:29pm

that is a cool looking unit mate

as for being able to free wheel and still have reverse you would need to have a friction clutch system (if you want it smooth) or a dog clutch system (if you dont mind having to be stop to engage it)

skyeg3   1 W

1 W

Post by skyeg3 » Sep 10 2016 10:35pm

Thank you. Yes its looking like my project is getting more complicated. I need a bicycle weight dog clutch that engages with the push of a button and it needs to be cheap. :mrgreen:

Adverse Effects   10 W

10 W

Post by Adverse Effects » Sep 11 2016 2:11am

skyeg3 wrote:that engages with the push of a button
all you need is it to me a short lever to engage / disengage it no electronics needed