power stage using SMD and IMS

ElectronS

10 mW
Anyone has considered building a high current (above 200A-400A at 48v or 72v ) power stage using SMD mosfets or IGBTs in to-263-7 package or TO-leadless (ex:IPT020N10N3)

Using an IMS (aluminum substrate board) does help greatly in heat transfer and easy connection to an external heatsink.

something like this : http://www.infineon.com/dgdl/Infine...s.pdf?fileId=db3a30434121a58b01412adf8a0457ab

EvalBoard_TO-Leadless_5KW_FRONT.jpg_472149771.jpg

isnot this kind of SMD design better interms of build quality , size , repeat ability . why is every one still using To-220 and to-247 or the gaint and absurdly expensive Power modules

Attachments

• New Bitmap Im2age.jpg
    New Bitmap Im2age.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 1,392
I am doing something similar with my lebowski controller power stage but i had thought if using these: FDBL0240N100
https://www.fairchildsemi.com/datasheets/FD/FDBL0240N100.pdf

I haven't put linking Caps between the phase output and the rails before, I wonder what the purpose is? they're only 100n as shown. Also, they do not note on their schematic what they have used for the Capacitors between +VBat and -VBat again these look only small, and there is no provision for the DC-Link big suckers that we typically use. but I like a few things about this which is giving me some ideas. :?:

If you can point me to the gerber files of that application note I can get it quoted, I guess aluminum substrate pcb are on the expensive side.

Are they using aluminium substrate?. I just read 30oz copper. Oh yeah... chunky :twisted:

I'll finish my layout and post it on my 3kw micro lebowski thread.

I wonder how much these fets cost I haven't looked at them yet? Anyone have a link to a supplier

ElectronS said:
EvalBoard_TO-Leadless_5KW_FRONT.jpg_472149771.jpg

isnot this kind of SMD design better interms of build quality , size , repeat ability . why is every one still using To-220 and to-247 or the gaint and absurdly expensive Power modules

My guess, for the hobbyist, smd is still abit far from reach, sure you can get small batches of pcb made cheap and build yourself a reflow oven from a toaster. but then placing the smd by hand is more work (I am speculating). There are cool new things like pick and place machine based on 3d printer stuff and a reversed fish tank pump, but again this is all fringe stuff at the moment. for the one off through hole is still more accessible. I think as well when we talk about china, labour is cheap, people are still cheap so they will keep producing what works not what is best, Till they get undercut which will happen eventually.

Bobc and I are using a mti ixys 6 pack smd part which is capable of about 10kw, but he isn't your average hobbyist, he is a pro.

Animalector said:
Are they using aluminium substrate?. I just read 30oz copper. Oh yeah... chunky :twisted:

I'll finish my layout and post it on my 3kw micro lebowski thread.

I wonder how much these fets cost I haven't looked at them yet? Anyone have a link to a supplier

You have not read it correctly , it is 3oz or 105um copper thickness with aluminum substrate , check the new image i attached , taken from the PDF file (app note).

it is really interesting to know that you are working on similar part ( the fairchild mosfet ) which is almost the same performance of the infenon part , i am interseted in seeing your progress ,
1-did you post any ??
2-and how many mosfets are you paralleling ?
3-do you use SMD aluminum /polymer capacitors , or through hole ones on a separate board

regarding the post about assembly difficulty , i think nowadays there are many shops that are willing to work with small quantities ( reflow soldering) especially with such low count of components .

Ahh yup.. 3Oz not 3oz or 30oz.. My bad. That makes more sense, I had never heard of anyone ever having a board made with 30oz copper.

Its funny you ask about capacitors, I think.i have a nice layout, with good current path, nice isolation layout of gate traces positioning of the current sensors, but last night I was stareing at thescreen thinking wtf I.should do about the caps.

I haven't posted anything on my thread yet, ran out of.time last night

Hi All.... I am done one IMS power board with 500 microns custom one... for DC-Dc converter 3kWatts stackable to 10kWatts

Now I am building PMSM / BLDC drive with unique concept

why donot you post some pics on your 3kw design and share your thoughts about the subject :)
and what is the unique custom design you are talking about :twisted: :mrgreen:

another interesting design by infeinon ac motor driver for installing on 150mm Diameter motors

Attachments

• To-Leadless.jpg
    To-Leadless.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 1,588
Back