Motor Design Software

Pedrodemio

100 W
Hello guys,

I will shortly start a work in a research in my university to develop and manufacture a hub motor for electric skateboards, my goal is to optimize it as much as possible, since the application requires it or i will step on problems like overheating and huge consumption.

So to the point, what's softwares do all of you use? I fell in love with MotorSolve from infolytica since I've done a 4 day trial, it has everything I need, but after contacting them I discovered that even with a student license it's $1000 a year. Expensive? For what's it's capable I don't think it is, but the truth is that my research will probably no get that amount of funding and I don't have the money to pay from my pocket or it's not going to have money left for all the material and manufacturing costs

Any suggestions? I've found some open source softwares and MatLab routines, but neither of them comes even close in functionality

Thanks

That would be a way, but my mais objective is to learn something new, if in the end i can make a good motor that's great, but if the motor its not so good but i know what to improve or where i've screwed, that's even better

I've been following all the hubs on eboard section, from what i've seen from the DIY guys whats lacking is theory behind the design, application of engineering, the goal is not to make a lots of blind tests and by feeling decides whats worked best, but to design and test on the paper first and them, only when the design is mature go and make the real version

Typical software used in industry would be MotorSolve, Speed, RMExpert, JMAG-Express, and YES motor design software. There are others, but those are the main ones I've seen. A lot companies develop their own software. And, of course, in addition to this motor design software, most companies use general electromagnetic FEA software to complement these tools.

There is quite a bit of difference between some of these. For example, MotorSolve basically uses a simplified 2D FEA to solve the magnetics and then incorporates that into motor models. YES, on the other hand, uses lumped sum magnetic circuit analysis to solve the magnetics. Both have their place and their limits.

MotorCAD is the industry standard for thermal analysis of motors but they now have an electromagnetic module that works in conjunction. All the commercial software is extrmely expensive. I would rough out the design in Emetor before choosing anything more sophisticated.

nieles said:
have you seen this?

https://www.emetor.com/

Miles said:
MotorCAD is the industry standard for thermal analysis of motors but they now have an electromagnetic module that works in conjunction. All the commercial software is extrmely expensive. I would rough out the design in Emetor before choosing anything more sophisticated.

Nice, i've been playing with it in the last few hours, i think it's everything i need at least, as you said, in the first stages of this project

One thing i didn't figure out is to obtain a torque vs speed curve, it's not possible? so i have to run various speeds for a given design and interpolate?

learningrc said:
Typical software used in industry would be MotorSolve, Speed, RMExpert, JMAG-Express, and YES motor design software. There are others, but those are the main ones I've seen. A lot companies develop their own software. And, of course, in addition to this motor design software, most companies use general electromagnetic FEA software to complement these tools.

There is quite a bit of difference between some of these. For example, MotorSolve basically uses a simplified 2D FEA to solve the magnetics and then incorporates that into motor models. YES, on the other hand, uses lumped sum magnetic circuit analysis to solve the magnetics. Both have their place and their limits.

Thanks a lot, it's what i wanted to know, unfortunately i guess most of them will be as expensive as MotorSolve. Ansys AIM have a promise to incorporate EM simulations on the student version, i will keep waiting

2D FEMM software is not accurate use a 3D solution look here http://www.cvel.clemson.edu/pdf/ACES09-736.pdf ofcourse you could use a wrong solution I've seen some motor designs in thesises that don't work.

spinningmagnets said:
I'd just pay Miles $100 for his advice, or...check out what the hotrodders are breaking over in the power board section. Many here find out what works by overloading several different types of available motors, and see what works, and what breaks (The Lotus method of design?).

"Stand-up E-scooters and E-skateboards"
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=35

I'd love to throw hundreds at miles to finish off A 15 tooth stator I've been doing in motorsolve. I somehow got a couple free trials but even still I don't know much about how to run it and their guide and YouTube videos aren't enough.
Other than finding the 15n14p combo having very low cogging torque I'm at a loss for how to go about designing and just modeled it on another stator I was using that was off the shelf and could afford.

Place will do a laser cut, so they say, prototype to confirm before doing the die.

Back