cyclone 18kw???

joby1

10 mW
Holy crap...

Insane Triple chainwheel kit 48/44/24T top speed 200km/h water proof, 150Nm High torque, no over heat ISIS BB only with 18000W 72-120V 150A continue bluetooth programable controller for smart phone Motor size 198x170x170mm...10.4kg

When you cross the 10kw mark, you can easily be outputting torque peaks around what a large 4 cylinder engine can dish out. To design a mid drive to put all that power through a bicycle chain/sprocket cluster/derailleur/freewheel that's designed for maybe 500w of power is just stupid. You are going to go through drivetrain components like mad.

There are no drivetrain components for bicycles that can handle this power.. even the 3kw drive is going to be a chain snapper and stretcher.. no idea why they'd even bother producing such a thing.

i was thinking what the hell kind of battery would it take to run that motor for any length of time...

Do you work at Joby?

joby1 said:
i was thinking what the hell kind of battery would it take to run that motor for any length of time...
Well, 18kWh battery with nice C number would run it for 45 mins eh? ;D

neptronix said:
When you cross the 10kw mark, you can easily be outputting torque peaks around what a large 4 cylinder engine can dish out. To design a mid drive to put all that power through a bicycle chain/sprocket cluster/derailleur/freewheel that's designed for maybe 500w of power is just stupid. You are going to go through drivetrain components like mad.

There are no drivetrain components for bicycles that can handle this power.. even the 3kw drive is going to be a chain snapper and stretcher.. no idea why they'd even bother producing such a thing.

I find that rather intriguing, a 18 kw 10 kilo motor. I wonder what the quality of the motor is like, say compared to Revolt 160.
I couldn't fine any real information about that motor except from an order page. No detailed data. Wonder if the 18 kw is all marketing BS or if motor will actually do 18 kw? I will guess 18 kw is absolute peak power for only a short few seconds, but that is still acceptable.

I agree about the drivetrain/chain issues if mounted like the smaller cyclone kits, but if the 18 kw motor runs ie left side 219# sprockets and chain or even a mx sprocket/chain it should be all right. Does anyone have more data on the this motor?

macribs said:
neptronix said:

I find that rather intriguing, a 18 kw 10 kilo motor. I wonder what the quality of the motor is like, say compared to Revolt 160.
I couldn't fine any real information about that motor except from an order page. No detailed data. Wonder if the 18 kw is all marketing BS or if motor will actually do 18 kw? I will guess 18 kw is absolute peak power for only a short few seconds, but that is still acceptable.

I agree about the drivetrain/chain issues if mounted like the smaller cyclone kits, but if the 18 kw motor runs ie left side 219# sprockets and chain or even a mx sprocket/chain it should be all right. Does anyone have more data on the this motor?

Kinda late, but I've been trying to find info on this, only thing I've seen is a youtube video with no audio, can't really see the motor, it's in what looks like an e-motorcycle chassis. Makes me wonder if the 18kW is just a peak rating for the 7500W motor. Pictures on the Greek vs Taiwan website look the same as the 7500W motor.

atarijedi said:
macribs said:
neptronix said:

Kinda late, but I've been trying to find info on this, only thing I've seen is a youtube video with no audio, can't really see the motor, it's in what looks like an e-motorcycle chassis. Makes me wonder if the 18kW is just a peak rating for the 7500W motor. Pictures on the Greek vs Taiwan website look the same as the 7500W motor.

i emailed them a while back to get some measurements - its defiantly a different motor. the 7.5kw is like a big brother of LR's big block (huge block?), and the 18kw is bigger still (Godzilla block?). the 7.5 is the biggest i'd ever try fitting on a bicycle without major work done on the frame (and even then its pushing it), the 18kw is pretty huge, and heavy.

Back