Infeon controller too much torque

Tordnado

10 mW
Hi. I have this MAC-motor kit http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=244

I use it on my commuter and it is front wheel drive. I also have this http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_57&product_id=144 and this http://em3ev.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&path=41_59&product_id=104

The controller is applying to much amps at the start so that the front tyre slips. It is pretty "cool" once or twice but it is rather annoying and it is wearing out my expansive studded tyres. I can turn down the amps with the PAS level thingy above but it also lowers the speed so that I need to adjust continuously. If (when) I forget to turn the PAS all the way down after a stop the tyre slips and even in the lowest setting on a slippery road it will slip. It becomes dangerous if I was to turn and at the same time and there is too much power. I can handle it ok but I would never lend this bike to my wife or someone else who dont understand how it works.

My demands: A PAS assisted controller that I can run without having to fiddle with the PAS-settings to stop slippage. (the buttons are small and riding in subzero with mittens makes it hard) And I also need to be able to set a max speed. 48V. Some 20-25 Amps to feed the MAC. A slow start like there is on the BBS02 would be ideal, where it ramps up slowly.

I have tried lowering the phase amps but it also effects the hill climbing ability in a negative way. I have been looking at the controllers at BMS battery. Would the simulated torque be any good for my intended use? https://bmsbattery.com/ebike-kit/55...ulation-square-wave-controller-ebike-kit.html

It would have been nice of you told us which Infineon controller you have but, in general, they are hard-hitting controllers.
You are wrong to think the PAS controller/display limits Amps. It only limits speed and if it reduces climbing ability, it probably is because you are going slower when you start the climb.
The "torque imitation"/sine wave controllers do limit Current, but if you don't like "fiddling" with little buttons w/ your current display, you will like it even less w/ the SLCD-3 type displays.
Your best bet is to add a Cycle Analyst to what you have now and limit Current w/it.

The controller is in the link. Its a 25 amp 6 mosfet controller.
The PAS "display" does indeed control/change amps as well as top speed, it is clear both in terms of acceleration and visible in my wattmeter https://lunacycle.com/batteries/chargers/watt-meter-battery-gauge/ maybe you are thinking about the 3 speed switch?

Can I set a delay in the CA? With my current setup I can program and change the amps but I need all the amps for uphills so all I need is a slowstart function.

The torque simulation could work if it does not change the speed (other then not being able to reach 25 km/h due to the need of amps.) It is annoying that my current PAS display changes the speed and not only torque.

I think the CA does let you set ramping up of the power levels so it doesn't start off too strong. Do you have a throttle in the system too? Could you start rolling with some light throttle then pedal, or does your PAS override the throttle?

I have a throttle but I removed it since we are not allowed to have throttles here in EU. I know my power is over the legal 250W but I have limited my speed and power is not so easy to measure for the cops.

Any input on the bmsbattery controllers? Are they not as hard hitting as the Infeon? I really need to make a change, like I told you it is cold so I am using mittens and it is dark so I cant see the buttons and these buttons are not tactile so I cant feel them. I have to look down in the dark and at the same time keep an eye on traffic and that makes it quite dangerous and not relaxed.

If kelly controllers do pas, one of their torque based ones might be more acceptable. Supposedly they are smoother off the line for throttle than speed based infineon types.

Otherwise I'd say CA too for huge tuning potential. I'm almost certain their ramp up adjust and torque based simulation apply to both throttle and pas.

The Kelly ones I found were pretty expensive as well as the CA which I understand is based on Infeon right?

Would be nice to get input on the cheaper BMSbattery controllers. Otherwise I have to go lower on the phase amps but it does reduce climbing capability.

If I have control of the max A drawn to be sure not to go over the max recomended A. It might be an idea to increase maximum Amps of the infeon and decrease the phase amps. Do you think it will work? I realized that when I pulled down the phase amps to have more controlled starts I would not pull the maximum amps despite riding up a steep hill but during that test I left the max amps at 25A.

That's true, you wanna be careful with dropouts, esp front, esp aluminum. Gotta have the d/o's properly secured and keep an eye out.

It might be an idea to increase maximum Amps of the infeon and decrease the phase amps.
That's a great place to start. The first thing you notice should be less twitchy/jumpy starts.
The CA maker info is @ ebikes.ca if you wanna have a look. It is good at recording/displaying a bunch of info and can 'spoof' controllers' throttle signals to do all kinds of fine tuning. If you want to avoid further cost/complication your idea is the best place to start though, then I'd investigate the CA. I don't buy from Bmsb, I don't care for the way they do business.

I am getting there :)

Last test: "Phase current" 38A and "rated" 30A. It is a lot better without feeling weak. The max A draw during my ride was 25A vs the original settings 30A so I should be fine.

i will turn turn down the phase even more and turn up the rated amps. I believe this is the way the controller should be delivered. Front wheel slipping is no fun. Being a mechanical engineer I am having problems with jerky movements from a durability view point as well, and the high amps=max torque at low RPMs should be the most stressing factor apart from putting too much amps in and overheating the motor.

Thanks for the tip on the CA as well. Paul at EM3V recommended it to me as well but on my commuter I just want to ride and not care about details once it is set up and is running well.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Grin offers this simpler display for use w/ their Grineon controllers and it offers true "Amps" control;
http://www.ebikes.ca/shop/electric-bicycle-parts/cycle-analysts/ezeeled.html
It doesn't say that it only matches the new sine wave controllers, so one would assume it works w/ the older Infineons.
But I would ck. w/them first.

Back