Another SMD lebowski PCB

Electric Motors and Controllers
sparkiesweden
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:24 am

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by sparkiesweden » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:23 am

minimum wrote:
whereswally606 wrote:1) a kit containing all the parts for making a Lebowski bob carter brain board + PCB for about £25

or

2) a fully made brain board. more like £50 or more cause I don't have the experience to know how much this might cost yet.
I'm definitely interested, in either case.
Same here! ;-)

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by whereswally606 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:09 am

Ok, due to some enthusiastic pm's this morning from Sweden and ES user: Minimum expressing interest in the kit/fully built boards I have ordered 10 sets of components through ebay (this took a while to compile the list but I think its correct) anyway the parts are not likely to arrive any time soon as they are coming from china almost exclusively.

I will also order the PCBs for both SMD and through hole so that I have a stock of both boards.

haven't settled on a price for either yet. I will let you know once I have got the kits sorted and ready to post.

just remembered I need head pins too but will order some now.*done*
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

User avatar
ElectricGod
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by ElectricGod » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:16 pm

whereswally606 wrote:Ok, due to some enthusiastic pm's this morning from Sweden and ES user: Minimum expressing interest in the kit/fully built boards I have ordered 10 sets of components through ebay (this took a while to compile the list but I think its correct) anyway the parts are not likely to arrive any time soon as they are coming from china almost exclusively.

I will also order the PCBs for both SMD and through hole so that I have a stock of both boards.

haven't settled on a price for either yet. I will let you know once I have got the kits sorted and ready to post.

just remembered I need head pins too but will order some now.*done*
LMK when you have the SMT boards. I'll take 2.

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by whereswally606 » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:43 am

Ok so far I have a few prospective customers for smt boards and kits


Whereswally606 (me) *2
Minimum
Sparkiesweden
Snowchyld
Electric God *2
coleasterling
Mobilis (smd or through hole)
progrock *2

11 so far...

Will keep updating this list as I get more pm/posts requesting a board/kit.

Will place a PCB order today for both smt and through hole

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Last edited by whereswally606 on Mon Nov 13, 2017 11:37 am, edited 4 times in total.
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

coleasterling
10 W
10 W
Posts: 94
Joined: Tue Sep 21, 2010 3:37 am

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by coleasterling » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:22 am

I'm in

minimum
1 W
1 W
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by minimum » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:00 pm

Can you post dimensions for SMT and TH PCB's?

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by whereswally606 » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:36 am

bobc wrote:6) the board is about 1" x 2" on 2 layer PCB (35mm x 53mm)
page one post one,
and through hole board which has drivers and current sensors on board is (160 x 100)

thanks for the interest guys, just ordered a new batch of 30 through hole boards and will be ordering some SMD ones today too.

** ordered the pth x 30 ***
** ordered the smt x 200 and a stencil ***

also I won a toaster oven for £6 so that will be my reflow machine once I get the solid state relay and the Arduino. Picking the toaster up tomorrow night.

wow, learnt a lot today.
Bob never needed to buy a paste stencil as he was intent on doing the soldering by hand. Took me a while to realise there wasn't a gerber file with related to the frontside pads which the fab house would need to make the stencil. Now I have produced a f-paste.gbr, I have past it onto Nancy at PCBWAY to make sure they can provide me with a stencil.

Non of this is hard but then none of it is easy, just a lot of things to keep track of.
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

minimum
1 W
1 W
Posts: 51
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:53 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by minimum » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:43 pm

whereswally606 wrote:page one post one
I guess it was too obvious. But thanks.

sparkiesweden
10 mW
10 mW
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:24 am

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by sparkiesweden » Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:22 pm

whereswally606 wrote: also I won a toaster oven for £6 so that will be my reflow machine once I get the solid state relay and the Arduino. Picking the toaster up tomorrow night.
Tips: https://hackaday.io/project/27900-reflo ... controller

(Unless you're already aware of it ;-) )

User avatar
ElectricGod
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by ElectricGod » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:46 pm

whereswally606 wrote:Ok so far I have a few prospective customers for smt boards and kits


Whereswally606 (me) *2
Minimum
Sparkiesweden
Snowchyld
Electric God
coleasterling
Mobilis (smd or through hole)

Will keep updating this list as I get more pm/posts requesting a board/kit.

Will place a PCB order today for both smt and through hole

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Put me down for 2 of them.

User avatar
ElectricGod
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by ElectricGod » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:55 pm

sparkiesweden wrote:
whereswally606 wrote: also I won a toaster oven for £6 so that will be my reflow machine once I get the solid state relay and the Arduino. Picking the toaster up tomorrow night.
Tips: https://hackaday.io/project/27900-reflo ... controller

(Unless you're already aware of it ;-) )
cool idea except they are sold out. I just googled for reflow controllers and pretty much anything out there is currently sold out.

marcos
100 W
100 W
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:38 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by marcos » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:56 pm

if you already have the toaster and you can look at the solder paste when its inside the oven... give it a try without a PID controller.

I use my oven every week in open loop, I just turn it on and look at the pcb while its heating. When I see the reflow I turn it off. Never had an issue, the reflow takes about 4min in my case.

User avatar
ElectricGod
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by ElectricGod » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:33 pm

marcos wrote:if you already have the toaster and you can look at the solder paste when its inside the oven... give it a try without a PID controller.

I use my oven every week in open loop, I just turn it on and look at the pcb while its heating. When I see the reflow I turn it off. Never had an issue, the reflow takes about 4min in my case.
True! I've reflowed this way too, but am wanting to be more accurate at it. Not that it would be overly hard to build my own controller. It's really pretty simple if you don't need lots of bells and whistles.

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by whereswally606 » Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:22 am

thanks for the tips, I will pickup the toaster oven tonight (chap rearranged on me) ssr relay isn't here yet or the PCBs, I will do a few test runs before the actual reflow of the boards. I think there is no harm in doing both. i.e. watching and having the pid work with a feedback loop to control the temp. This way I can mod the code on the Arduino to best suit the toaster oven I've got.

parts are all going to take a while to come from china so will update as and when things arrive.

Please state any interest for kits or reflowed boards here in this thread and I will update the post with interested parties as an when I see the pm/post.
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

marcos
100 W
100 W
Posts: 136
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:38 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by marcos » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 am

My oven used to have a PID but I ditched it. The sturdy thermocouples that could stand the heat had a very long response time and it was different if the oven reflowed something before, coundl't get it to to work with the PID. Quick thermocouples lasted about of dozen of reflows.

So I got tired and discovered that openloop was equally good.

User avatar
ElectricGod
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by ElectricGod » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:50 pm

whereswally606 wrote:thanks for the tips, I will pickup the toaster oven tonight (chap rearranged on me) ssr relay isn't here yet or the PCBs, I will do a few test runs before the actual reflow of the boards. I think there is no harm in doing both. i.e. watching and having the pid work with a feedback loop to control the temp. This way I can mod the code on the Arduino to best suit the toaster oven I've got.

parts are all going to take a while to come from china so will update as and when things arrive.

Please state any interest for kits or reflowed boards here in this thread and I will update the post with interested parties as an when I see the pm/post.
Assuming you do completed boards, then does that means you are going to test them too?

If it's kits, they cost less since the risk is on the buyers shoulders.

any idea what you are going to charge for them?

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by whereswally606 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:24 am

ElectricGod wrote: Assuming you do completed boards, then does that means you are going to test them too?
Yes I probably do this by making up the sensors and drivers on a through hole board and creating a ribbon cable from the outputs on the smd pcb to the required places on the through hole board. I will test by driving my 4k hub with the prototype 6pak powerstage. I could really do with getting an oscilloscope.
ElectricGod wrote: If it's kits, they cost less since the risk is on the buyers shoulders.
If it's kits I cant really accept liability for other people getting things wrong that wouldn't be fair. Its pretty bloody obvious that a kit would be less.
ElectricGod wrote: any idea what you are going to charge for them?
Let me get them in and working and ill let you all know.

well a bit of an update...

I've had quite the back and forth with Nancy at PCBway.

Basically Bob thought hes 5v psu area was a bit cramped on his pcbs that he ordered. He shifted 3 components about in the kicad project to make a bit more space.

I sent the original old PCB files and then plotted the new paste layer for the stencil which PCBway picked up and held off doing the stencil. This was my mistake as I'm new to kicad and pcb design but I'm learning rather quickly.

I sent them a consistent set of gerbers once I realised the mistake.

Unfortunately they had already run the smd pcbs before confirming with me about the stencil so now I have 200 of the original design bob did (which should be ok). I then had to use gerbview to look at the two masks and see how far out the 3 parts Bob moved had gone to reproduce a paste layer gerber for the original file (bob never needed a paste layer having not intended to reflow them). Through trial and error and lots of checking i've managed to get close enough so i've ordered a stencil for the old design.

I will be checking this design works before sending any out in kit form or final product. Hope some of this makes sense to folk out there but basically the parts will be on there way to me from china soon via DHL as I have combined postage with the through hole boards.
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

progrock
100 W
100 W
Posts: 142
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:47 am

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by progrock » Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:56 am

I'm very interested. LMK dates, and where/when to send the money, and you got it.... likely in for 2.

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by whereswally606 » Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:26 am

Pcbs have left China now via DHL. I also received my nano Arduino and SSR for doing the control loop on my £6 toaster oven. Might get that made tonight. Have a thermocouple on my old Anet A8 printer heater block. I've since upgraded that to an e3d clone so it's surplus.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

User avatar
ElectricGod
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1282
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:24 pm

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by ElectricGod » Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:15 pm

whereswally606 wrote:Pcbs have left China now via DHL. I also received my nano Arduino and SSR for doing the control loop on my £6 toaster oven. Might get that made tonight. Have a thermocouple on my old Anet A8 printer heater block. I've since upgraded that to an e3d clone so it's surplus.

Sent from my ALE-L02 using Tapatalk
Post pics when you get the boards please.

whereswally606
100 kW
100 kW
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:11 pm
Location: Cheshire, UK

Re: Another SMD lebowski PCB

Post by whereswally606 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:42 am

Lots more things arrived in the post today, I was out walking the dog and they couldn't fit one of the parcels through the letter box. Probably the PCBs or my new 12g spokes. Anyway will get those Monday.

Lots of components have already arrived from China. Mostly the passives, non of the IC parts yet. Everything is tiny and I still need solder paste for the reflowing. Anyone with experience want to suggest any solder pastes?

Need to order an aluminium can electrolytic since I've reread bobcs post on the tantalum ones being too good and increasing the IC temp by 50°c

Anyway progress is slow but faster than I expected.
Distributing "Lebowski" FOC Controller PCB (Through hole) since 2016
Moped: Emax 110s 2009

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests