BLDC Motor Integration w/ Motor Controllers

nikohaukebo

1 µW
I am trying to integrate the following two parts to work together:

Motor Controller: MDC151-050301 (Anaheim Automation BLDC Motor Controller)
BLDC Hub Motor: https://lunacycle.com/fat-ebike-kit-1000-watt-waterproof-connectors-4-inch-rim/ (link to the exact hub motor I am using)

I am trying to control the above Lunacycle BLDC ebike hub motor using the above motor controller. We have bypassed (cut the wiring) the motor controller that came with the hub motor, and wired it to this Anaheim controller. I have the motor running successfully, but its operation is extremely glitchy and not smooth. The motor makes a clicking noise while rotating when operated from this controller. It also seems that the motor is not receiving full power seeing as I can easily stall the wheel with my hand (then it makes even more intense clicking noises). Judging by other forums I've read, this behavior might suggest incorrect hall effect phase wiring or other hall effect phase problems. I've gone through every different configuration of hall effect phase wiring (several of which were able to power the motor), and cannot get the motor to operate in any of the configurations without making a clicking noise. When spinning the motor by hand, the hall effect indicator LED on the controller lights up. Also, the clicking noise only happens when powering the hub motor from the Anaheim controller. The motor doesn't make the clicking noise when using the original Lunacycle controller, or when spinning the wheel by hand with the motor controller powered off. The problem with using the original controller is that it cannot power the hub motor in reverse, which is essential for my application. I am using this hub motor to design a wheelchair, and I absolutely have to have reverse functionality. It's only when trying to run the motor from the controller that the "fault" indicator LED is tripped. To me, this suggests that the hall effects are wired correctly. The noises seem to me like the motor is quickly snapping into each angular position during operation, and so when it happens at a fast pace it essentially sounds like clicking. Part of the difficulty with this application is that I do not know the specs of the Lunacycle hub motor extremely well, so it is a bit hard to troubleshoot. I have attached a URL below for a picture of the internal wiring for the hub motor we are using. Is there anything obvious that I have completely overlooked? If there are any BLDC engineers/experts that could suggest any solutions to this problem or maybe any alternative motor controllers or hub motors that they think might work easily in two directions, it would be greatly appreciated. I would be happy to abandon this system if somebody knows of an additional hub motor (it can't be a regular BLDC shaft output motor) and motor controller that work well together for this type of application.

Thanks.

Wiring Picture:

https://www.google.com/search?q=lunacycle+hub+motor+internals&rlz=1C5CHFA_enUS731US731&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZxp3b0OjSAhVil1QKHfgIDy0Q_AUIBygC&biw=1404&bih=731#imgrc=aesDASq8XDYdYM:

Is it possible your new controller is not three phase? Will it work sensorless? Have you tried swapping the phase wires around in different combos? More info on your Anaheim controller would be helpful.

(the following is from the Anaheim Automation website)

The MDC151-050301 driver is designed to drive DC brushless motors at currents of up to 30A (peak) and 50V. Using hall sensor feedback, a constant velocity mode can be selected. The driver is protected against over current (cycle-by-cycle or latched), hall sensor error and under voltage. When an error occurs, a fault light notifies the user. If the fault latch is enabled and an error occurs the fault output goes low to notify the user. Included on the driver is an internal potentiometer to control the maximum phase current allowed into the motor and an internal potentiometer to control the speed of the motor. An external voltage (0-5VDC) can be used to control the speed as well. The direction of the motor can be preset by the direction control input.

The controller is for sure three phase, but I don't believe that it can operate in a sensor-less configuration. Is that essential to controlling the lunacycle BLDC hub motor? Honestly, if you know of any other controllers that would do the same thing, but with less hassle I would highly consider just using a different controller. Also, I have tried swapping the hall effect wiring many times in multiple configurations with no success.

Your description does sound like hall timing problem. If you have a voltmeter, verify all 3 hall signals are toggling when you turn the motor. Measure at the controller. Is that controller programmable? Some have a setting for 60 or 120 degree hall sensor spacing. Virtually all bike motors use 120 degrees.
Do you have a way to measure the current draw from the battery? This is also very helpful to find the problem.

There are lots of controllers out there with a reverse function. It may be worth finding a different model if this one refuses to work.

I confirmed that all three hall effects are toggling when the motor is turned, by measuring their voltage readings at the controller. The hall effects toggle between 0 - 6.25V, which corresponds to the motor controller user manual. Also, the motor controller is for sure set on 120 degree hall sensor spacing. The no load current draw from the battery (right now I'm actually using a 48V power supply for testing instead of a battery) is about 1.25A for each of the three motor phases when operating at full speed. Any idea what's going on? I'm leaning towards a new controller

Seems like the controller.

I've been real happy with the little 12FET version from PowerVelocity (guy on the forum here). There are many similar ones out there.

Back