Bricked Kelly KLS controller

Electric Motors and Controllers
HorstFugger
1 µW
1 µW

Bricked Kelly KLS controller

Post by HorstFugger » Apr 17, 2017 9:12 am

Hi my name is Andi and this is my first post :D

I have a problem with my Kelly KLS7250D (http://kellycontroller.com/kls7250d24v- ... -1337.html). I think I briked it by changing the motor spin direction via the PC interface while the motor was running. Now no RS232 communication is possible and the controller does not move the motor. After having a conversation with Fany from Kelly the can't help me because my controller ran out of warranty and I told them that I opened the controller. When I opened the controller I saw two JTAG interface headers.

I think by reprogramming the firmware the controller can be unbricked.
  • So what programming hardware do I need to flash a new firmware via the JTAG interface?
  • Can someone provide me the firmware or read it from their controller?
  • Is there an other possibility to unbrick the controller?
Thanks

catacon
10 µW
10 µW

Re: Bricked Kelly KLS controller

Post by catacon » Apr 18, 2017 1:29 pm

Kelly's are not field-programmable, so I doubt anyone will have a firmware file you can download.

macribs
1 GW
1 GW

Post by macribs » Apr 18, 2017 1:51 pm

I don't know the Kelly. But as a "thinkerer" I have "hacked", improved usability or swapped firmware on various devices, made mad errors and what not. And I got to say the only time I bricked something has been with not paying attention during firmware upgrades. Are you sure the controller is bricked? One would think you should get an error code if bricked? Maybe electro mechanical rather then software?

As you already has it open, is there any blown fets, fuses or other things that might be the source of your problem?

HorstFugger
1 µW
1 µW

Post by HorstFugger » Apr 19, 2017 4:36 pm

Hi macribs, I'm pretty sure that I haven't blown anything so a hardware defect is unlikely. The controller worked as aspected right before I i wrote the spin direction change via the PC softwate to the controller. Now when I start the controller I receive 0x00 in RealTerm and the BREAK Status indicator in RealTerm stays on. The Kelly software on the PC isn't able to talk to the controller and the controller itself shows no reaction to a throttle input. I really don't know if I blew the main µC. It may be possible but this would be really bad hardware design and I don't know how to check if it is dead. So I guess it is a software bug but I'm not sure.

The heart of my controller is a SPC5602PEVLL6 chip http://pdf1.alldatasheet.net/datasheet- ... MLH4R.html
Has anyone programmed the main µC of a Kelly controller via JTAG?
Has anyone ever had a similar problem and solved it?

Thanks
Attachments
OpenedKelly.jpg
opened Kelly controller
OpenedKelly2.jpg
KLS7250D

kristofl
1 µW
1 µW

Post by kristofl » Jan 24, 2018 7:09 am

Hello,

I have the same problem with the same controller. I have changed somerhing in the settings while the Bldc was turning. I contacted Kelly and got a firmware file. Buth i cant write it because there is no RS-232 connection possible. I checked it with a scope and there is no answer from the u-processor.

Is it possible to reprogram it with jtag or something else?

Endy
1 µW
1 µW

Post by Endy » Apr 10, 2018 11:44 am

Hi Kristofl,
I have the same problem with my kelly Keb controller so can you please send me the firmware file ?
Thanks