Are Leaf 1500W and Edge 1500W the same motor?

Stu Summer

100 W
Is the "Updated 20 inch 48V 1500W rear hub motor" from Leaf now the same as the LAEbike 1500 Edge? More specifically, does the Leaf motor now have an aluminum stator? My use is on a BikeE CT recumbent ( 20" rear wheel) to make a 25-35 mph cruiser/commuter. I do have hills but I don't need to race up them. Which would be the better motor?

Not that I am aware of. The 'new' leafbike 1500w, as I understand it, was larger phase wires (which mine didn't get when I ordered it). I believe it still uses a steel stator. Lamination thickness is the same between the two. Not sure if thr Edge achieves the same efficiency as the Leaf though.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Anyone have info on those phase wires? I was looking at mine today and they are thin as hell although it hasn't really kept me from making power.

I think I read here somewhere that the edge 1500w has 40mm magnets and 35mm stator.

I have the edge and the phases are 14 or 16 gauge iirc. The weird thing is they didn't get hot at 135 phase amps for such small wires. The motor overheated before they got warm.

The wires are teflon insulated which is thin and high temp plus they cool really fast in the air. You will feel the wires get really warm if you put them across your skin while using that 135 phase amps.

Baron said:
I think I read here somewhere that the edge 1500w has 40mm magnets and 35mm stator.

I have the edge and the phases are 14 or 16 gauge iirc. The weird thing is they didn't get hot at 135 phase amps for such small wires. The motor overheated before they got warm.

^-- this man speaks the truth.

Also there has been nothing really new with the leaf motor since i brought it to your guys' attention in 2014. Just phase wires, a front version, and a cassette version from what i can see. Still a good hub motor to buy today.

The edge motor may put out a little more power but is also heavier. I have not seen a dyno sheet on the edge motor but my suspicion is that the leaf might be a little more efficient. It is kind of a tossup as to which one you buy.

Leafmotor thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=66489

Edge motor thread:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=81757&hilit=edge+1500w

Back