KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

Electric Motors and Controllers
Xnyle   10 W

10 W

Re: KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW

Post by Xnyle » May 25 2019 6:20am

different gaps between magnets, chipped magnets and etc
The OS FW already has options for compensating "different gaps". I had this last year and can tell you it feels completely different than the resonances. So maybe you fixed some additional problem with the motor.

But the main problem seems to be a resonant circuit with certain controller/motor combinations, not software related. If the original FW has resonances and our own which shares zero code as well, there is a high probability it's simply a hardware "bug" with the KT controller setup.

I'm starting to wonder if XF15 is maybe working fine with KT 6FET controllers but not with 12FET (which are mostly sold for use with direct drive motors)

Xnyle   10 W

10 W

Re: KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW

Post by Xnyle » May 25 2019 6:38am

Regarding controller reset:

could you comment out the GPIO_Write in gpio.c and try again:

Code: Select all

// added by DerBastler - Light
void light_pin_set (void)
{
  GPIO_WriteHigh(LIGHT__PORT, LIGHT__PIN);
}
// added by DerBastler - Light
void light_pin_reset (void)
{
  GPIO_WriteLow(LIGHT__PORT, LIGHT__PIN);
 }
Maybe it's not a good idea to constantly GPIO_Write in fast loop.

FedeleC   1 µW

1 µW

Post by FedeleC » May 26 2019 11:07am

Hi guys, I'm a new user from Italy. :thumb:

I followed silently this thread a for months, since I had the idea to build an ebike from scratch by myself.

My goal was to build a pedelec with just some assistance (not exceding EU legal power), minimizing weight, and experimenting ways to maximize trip distance.

I finally succedeed to build a lightweight 13kg 26" ebike, based on a Xiongda YTW 06 front motor powered by a 7Ah bottle battery.
I added a Sempu T2 3d gen TS, that's the (first) reason I began to follow this thread, because the stock controller FW obviously doesn't manage it.

In these days, I'm getting familiar with OSEC and BluOsec setup: thank you for the fantastic work, and I would like to (try to) contribute a little.

Since from the beginning, for distance maximizing I wanted to experiment with automatic gear shifting, so I built the bike only with rear derailleur (it's a 1x10 config, with a HUGE&SEXY Sunrace 11-46 cassette :D ).

I want to investigate on my thought that in some situations (hilly journeys), the power saved by auto shift (letting the driver legs/motor work with the most adequate gear) is more than the power consumption of this sub-system.

I noticed, in fact, that many ebike drivers tend to underuse the gear shifters, insisting in higher gears than usual and asking the motor to balance it.

The mechanical part is ready: derailleur is driven by a 25KG digital servo, fixed on a 3D printed PLA support.
The servo has its standard 20 mm diameter round alu pulley which wind up the shift cable: I was VERY lucky when I realizedthat the 172° servo travel + pulley diameter cover perfectly the travel needed by my Shimano SLX derailleur!

I verified briefly the forces involved, a standard derailleur needs about 12kg to retain position, and some more to move. For position keeping, I've noticed that most of the 12kg are sustained by the internal reduction gears of the servo, so it doesn't need too much current to stay in idle in some gear.

Initially I imagined to use a separate Arduino Mega platform to drive the servo, sharing sensors (cadence, speed, torque at least) with the KT controller...until I opened my spare KT controller I bought and compared to the STM8S datasheet: the KT board (at least my revision) is plenty of free pads other than famous X4 one, which could be used to my needs...yeah!

So, I rerouted/created some input/output of my KT36/48SVPR-HRD01:
  • Rearranged some wires to power the Sempu T2 @ 36 V
  • Draw current directly from Vbat +36V pad to a DC/DC Step Down Converter to 6,8V, to power the servo. I reached to connect and enclose it inside the controller box
  • Attached Servo signal output to a pad connected (via a 2,2K resistor) to PIN 43 of STM8S: I want try to use it as a PWM output of Timer 3, not used yet by OSEC, @ about 50 Hz. I've to check if i'll need to short circuit the 2,2 K resistor, I hope not :wink:
  • Attached a passive buzzer output to a pad connected (via 2,2 K resistor, again) to PIN 45: it would be sooo nice to notice the driver of an imminent gear shift...This PIN has to be reconfigured with the STM8 S Option byte to work as a Beep source.
The algorithm could be simple at the beginning, I think I'll create a Optimal cadence parameter (typically 90 rpm) and an Overlapping parameter to manage gears shifts, but it could be made more omplex...I'm thinking about torque value, but also parameters, for example, from BlueOsec: clinometer, FC from a HRM, etc...

I hope there will be some headroom left in STM8S resources... :lol:

(I think that in future BlueOsec could be the gate to share other async sensed values to controller, provided by a common phone: otherwise, most of the sensing modules on the market are I2C or UART based, but the first is not avaible in KT controller, the second is busy...)

After finishing optimizing the OSEC to my motor (it worked at first start!), next days I'll work on FW to create the automatic gear shift function: altough I'm not a programmer I have a past experience in motor controllers...so let's try! :D

Long post sorry, I don't want to bother you anymore: if you want some detail/photos/etc...just ask!

Thank you all!
:D

stancecoke   100 kW

100 kW

Post by stancecoke » May 27 2019 3:42am

Thank you for your detailed report! Of course I am interested in some photos and your software implementation! :-)

regards
stancecoke

haiyi911   1 W

1 W

Post by haiyi911 » May 27 2019 4:12am

Do you have found that the waveform is asymmetrical?
Attachments
Asymmetrical.jpg
Asymmetrical.jpg (79.59 KiB) Viewed 1159 times

vulcanears   1 mW

1 mW

Post by vulcanears » May 27 2019 8:21am

FedeleC wrote:
May 26 2019 11:07am
[...] auto-shifting [...]
This might be interesting to you:
https://www.archercomponents.com/
(Electronic wireless shifter over bluetooth)

FedeleC   1 µW

1 µW

Post by FedeleC » May 27 2019 9:28am

vulcanears wrote:
May 27 2019 8:21am
FedeleC wrote:
May 26 2019 11:07am
[...] auto-shifting [...]
This might be interesting to you:
https://www.archercomponents.com/
(Electronic wireless shifter over bluetooth)
Thank you, I didn't knew this specific vendor, interesting resource!

I know there are suppliers of electronic gear shift systems, both integrated with derailleurs (Sram, Shimano and Campagnolo) and some new productors of independent systems, like this one.

These systems are electronic but not automated, and many muscolar bike drivers (like me) don't catch the benefit from spending so much money to switch from robust mechanical levers to a system based on buttons&batteries...on a full mechanical bike could be a non sense! :wink:

On a ebike, we have already a battery to carry around, and an electronic that acquire cadence, speed and torque...so it could be more interesting to integrate such a sub system.

The only similar system I know is the one made of Bosch Steps and Shimano DI2 integrated...but at a huge cost! :shock:

A digital servo from China costs 14 €, it's worth a try to integrate in OSEC! :D

Obviously, I'm thinking also about a manual shift mode to operate the servo, so I need a "device" with at least 3 buttons (up, down, mode switch)...I have some ideas, I'll tell you... :wink:

Bye!

kdog   10 kW

10 kW

Post by kdog » Jun 04 2019 5:54am

Hi all
Anyone got any insight on Regen blowing these controllers. My mate has been through 3 40amp controllers all dying on Regen.
13s li-ion battery, 500w DD motor, 40amp kt controller with lcd3 display. Regen set to 70% to hopefully prevent big spikes.
It seems Regen on a full battery is killing the controller with mosfet blowing L, R and center!
Is this a known issue? Don't want to put in yet another one only to have it pop.
Thanks!

casainho   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by casainho » Jun 04 2019 6:20am

haiyi911 wrote:
May 27 2019 4:12am
Do you have found that the waveform is asymmetrical?
You will get even more distortion if FOC is not working. That waveform seems very good to me from what I saw when experimenting / developing the FOC for KT controllers.

Try to disable FOC and increase motor speed and current and then take the screen shoots and show to us.
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and LCDs (KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

stancecoke   100 kW

100 kW

Post by stancecoke » Jun 04 2019 11:51am

kdog wrote:
Jun 04 2019 5:54am
My mate has been through 3 40amp controllers all dying on Regen.
Did you use the stock firmware or our open source firmware?

regards
stancecoke

kdog   10 kW

10 kW

Post by kdog » Jun 04 2019 6:46pm

Stock controller, no changes to firmware.

Xnyle   10 W

10 W

Post by Xnyle » Jun 05 2019 2:51pm

Using 10A regeneration now for ~1000km with the Custom FW, so far nothing exploded ;-)

On a full battery Custom FW prevents overvoltage. Regarding stock FW: wrong thread :)

Imho regeneration is overrated though, you get maybe 10% more range, but you could also just use a geared motor which is about 10% more efficient (at least for my driving profile).

haiyi911   1 W

1 W

Post by haiyi911 » Jun 06 2019 4:24am

casainho wrote:
Jun 04 2019 6:20am
Try to disable FOC and increase motor speed and current and then take the screen shoots and show to us.
FOC was disable and the waveform was still asymmetrical.i tested other brands of controllers,there were all the same. maybe it is normal.
what is the angle interpolation used for?

#define DO_INTERPOLATION 1
#if DO_INTERPOLATION == 1
is the angle used to adjust the rotor position to keep ID=0?
Attachments
disable foc.jpg
disable foc.jpg (51.74 KiB) Viewed 965 times

casainho   1.21 GW

1.21 GW

Post by casainho » Jun 06 2019 4:36am

haiyi911 wrote:
Jun 06 2019 4:24am
casainho wrote:
Jun 04 2019 6:20am
FOC was disable and the waveform was still asymmetrical.i tested other brands of controllers,there were all the same. maybe it is normal.
what is the angle interpolation used for?

#define DO_INTERPOLATION 1
#if DO_INTERPOLATION == 1
is the angle used to adjust the rotor position to keep ID=0?
Go and read the notes I took when I developed and tested the FOC implementation: https://opensourceebikefirmware.bitbuck ... rison.html

Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and LCDs (KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

guancio   10 mW

10 mW

Post by guancio » Jun 09 2019 3:36am

Has someone try this torque sensor?
http://www.forehorse.com/Product?id=FEP1

Seems an interesting product, since can be used for both hub motors and bafang mid drive

stancecoke   100 kW

100 kW

Post by stancecoke » Jun 11 2019 2:27am

Thank you for that information, looks really interesting.

I think the receiver has an analogue voltage output, so it should work with our firmware out of the box. But I can't identify the pinout from the pdf.

The costs are OK, but I don't know if you can buy a single piece as a private person via "made-in-china.com"

regards
stancecoke
Pinout Forehorse Pedal Torquesensor.PNG
Pinout Forehorse Pedal Torquesensor.PNG (19.79 KiB) Viewed 833 times

guancio   10 mW

10 mW

Post by guancio » Jun 11 2019 5:37am

My understanding (using Google translate) is that the pedal transmit via ant, and the receiver converts the info to an analog 5v signal, which can be used in place of a throttle

naimo   1 mW

1 mW

Post by naimo » Jun 12 2019 6:06am

Hi all,

I'm trying to change the controller on an electric scooter (MPman TR100). The motor is a 30 rotor poles /27 stator poles, direct drive, with hall sensors.
(I added the 10k pullups on the hall sensors since the signals didn't go to 5V, I don't know if the controller has them).
MVIMG_20190611_175043.jpg
I bought this controller from http://www.pswpower.com/ven.php?cargo.2016-3f-33c0, since it seemed like it should be able to do sine wave. I flashed the custom firmware (branch master from stancecoke) >> jump to edit
with these config modifications :

#define EBIKE_THROTTLE_TYPE EBIKE_THROTTLE_TYPE_THROTTLE_PAS
#define BATTERY_LI_ION_CELLS_NUMBER 10
#define DEFAULT_VALUE_WHEEL_SIZE 0x12 // for 6''
#define DEBUG_UART
(I'm only running without LCD for now, and trying to make sense of the debug output)

Just matching wire colors between the motor and the controller, for the power and hall sensors, didn't work well initially and I found this combination that worked better for the power wires (keeping hall sensor colors matched):
blue | yellow
yellow | green
green | blue
Even though the motor ran kind of OK at high high throttle, it drew a lot of current, and jumped around at low throttle.

Reading through the forum, I figured I'd try changing MOTOR_ROTOR_OFFSET_ANGLE, and values around 220 seem to help a lot, the motor can now run at slow speeds.
Still I feel like it's pulling a little too much current (36V ~7A full throttle), and I'd like to understand better how to set this angle value, especially since the config-example.h states that it should be close to zero.

Any ideas where to start ? and other config parameters to play with ?

>> edit 13/06/2019 : Apologies, I hadn't pulled the latest stancecoke branch for some reason. Flashed it and after changing a few parameters, my first impressions are that it runs better out of the box, I'll dive in and see what kind of tuning can be done.
Last edited by naimo on Jun 13 2019 2:34pm, edited 2 times in total.

simben88   1 µW

1 µW

Post by simben88 » Jun 13 2019 8:35am

Hello everyone,

I would like to use this firmware with a higher voltage and current limit.

The advertised limits of the controller linked below would be good for me but I can not find a confirmation that it is compatible with this firmware.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3280918 ... 79cbzTPtTS

Is there a way to tell before ordering? If not, could someone post a current link to the highest powered compatible controller? The 24 MOSFET KT/BMS Battery version is mentionned but I am struggling to find a current source for them.

Thanks

davideserin   1 W

1 W

Post by davideserin » Jun 14 2019 2:55am

Hi, i'm new to this, but have it working with the app and the motor spinning!

I've got the hall order (starting from 12 oclock on the donut, running clockwise) in the right order for my YTW-06.

I've set the gear ratio as the effective pole pairs, which is 17.5 * 8 = 140. But the speed is slow. I increase the gear ratio and it's faster, but still not reaching the correct rpm for the voltage. What other setting might i need to change to get the target rpm?

I only see a very slight sine wave in the graph when spinning the wheel backwards, i can't determine the angle from this easily. I've adjust until it runs smooth at a level of 20. Should i see a big obvious and perfect sinewave?

When i turn the motor backwards, it feels like regen kicks in, is this normal? I appear to have regen functions off, but maybe i missed a setting. I'm using X4 for temp sensor and have it set to digital regen. I can't see a setting for regen on/off.

Also, the Java documentation describes a 'cell number' option, but i can't find this?

Is there a way to change the app to display mph?

I've also tried to use my Sempu torque sensor with the setup. I've got the PAS and throttle connected to it and switched on Torque Sensor, but it just spins up immediately. Any tips anywhere on getting the right settings for this?

I've got the temp sensor linked up to X4 and set to digital Regen, but can't see where i can get a readout on the software, any suggestions on the best way to display that calculated temperature and in Celsius?

Thanks for all the efforts.

Xnyle   10 W

10 W

Post by Xnyle » Jun 14 2019 4:27am

Gear ratio is really only needed for determining the correct speed, motor will not turn differently if you change it, only the set speed limits work different then.
I only see a very slight sine wave
That's ok, amplitude is proportional to current, no automatic upscaling is done.
I can't see a setting for regen on/off
Can be adjusted in 5 steps just as power assist in the app.
Also, the Java documentation describes a 'cell number' option, but i can't find this?
Cause nobody bothers to update the documentation. Voltage related logic has been replaced by overvoltage/undervoltage settings.
Is there a way to change the app to display mph?
Not going to happen. Don't want to invest time for SI refuseniks :wink: But you could think a moment about what I wrote about Gear ratio.
any suggestions on the best way to display that calculated temperature
App Settings -> Motor temp?

davideserin   1 W

1 W

Post by davideserin » Jun 14 2019 2:37pm

Thank you! :) duly noted
Xnyle wrote:
Jun 14 2019 4:27am
Gear ratio is really only needed for determining the correct speed, motor will not turn differently if you change it, only the set speed limits work different then.
Strange as this totally alters the behavior of my motor, works great at 126, if i change it to 140, starts to stutter, practically stops at 70 and starts working again at 40.
Not going to happen. Don't want to invest time for SI refuseniks :wink: But you could think a moment about what I wrote about Gear ratio.
:wink:
App Settings -> Motor temp?
I'm not able to determine how to adjust these settings correctly.

If it's useful, i would be happy to spend some time updating the documentation. Just let me know the best workflow. I'm a tech journalist and made instructional videos professionally. Happy to update.

I'm using the Sempu torque sensor and i have it working, but is it possible to use a throttle in addition to this? I have wired in additional connector so both can be plugged in at once, but the throttle no longer works when the setting is switched to Torque Sensor unless i'm pedalling, which i presume is intentional so the torque sensor isn't triggered when not rotating, but since the Sempu is measuring the twist of the crank, perhaps i can have it working regardless of the rotation of the crank.

I also noticed that the motor wouldn't stop if i stopped pedaling, but If i pedal backwards a turn it stopped, i'm guessing that's not intentional as it stopped when i changed the PAS poles from 12 to 24.

Is there any documentation on what the main App display is reading, such as the multiple blue meters and the three red meters?

Thanks,
David.
Last edited by davideserin on Jun 14 2019 4:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xnyle   10 W

10 W

Post by Xnyle » Jun 14 2019 4:02pm

140, starts to stutter, practically stops at 70 and starts working again at 40
Strange indeed. Take a look at the code where the gear ratio is used. Maybe you find some explanation/bug. I'm unable to explain it right now.
I'm not able to determine how to adjust these settings correctly
Debug the X4Value in the left panel, normally it goes more or less linearly down when temp goes up. Then you have to calculte 0 point and gradient and that's what you have to enter.

What you want to do with the torquesensor would require a bit of work on the software. If you have the skills, you can do that yourself, but I don't see any benefit in implementing that for the main branch. You then can't use X4 for temperature though (or you find another free and usable gpio on your board)
Is there any documentation on what the main App display is reading
Someone asked the same question(s) in the German forum, he also started with some annotated screenshots, but I'm not sure if he's still working on it. Maybe you could contact him?
https://www.pedelecforum.de/forum/index ... st-1204135

If you have experience documenting things, I guess you know better how to write stuff in a way so that it's not a reference / cheat sheet for those who already understood but a really newbie friendly guide.

You could start by creating a few alternate / new pages here
https://github.com/stancecoke/BMSBatter ... mware/wiki
and rework what's already there.

If you have questions, feel free to ask.
After you fully understood a chapter the ultimate goal is to rewrite it in a way so that nobody will ever ask again :)

geofft   1 kW

1 kW

Post by geofft » Jun 15 2019 3:33am

davideserin wrote:
Jun 14 2019 2:37pm

I'm using the Sempu torque sensor and i have it working, but is it possible to use a throttle in addition to this?
I'm currently using a Sempu T4 torquesensor and also have a throttle connected. My method was to connect both throttle and torquesensor signal lines in parallel to the controller i/p via a couple of blocking diodes, I used shottky diodes here to reduce the signal voltage drop. You'll then have to alter the Throttle min/max settings to suit.

This works well enough for me, there's a little lag in the throttle response due to the averaging function applied by the torquesensor code but not too noticeable in use.
BBS02 V2 48v 750w, 12s lipo.
Q128H (36v 201rpm), KT36/48SVPR, LCD3, 48v 12s lipo.

davideserin   1 W

1 W

Post by davideserin » Jun 15 2019 4:47am

Thanks both, i'll look into these in my next session and I'll make sure to keep notes. :thumb: