KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW)

Electric Motors and Controllers
Aeron   10 W

10 W

Re: KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW

Post by Aeron » Jun 19 2019 6:34am

stancecoke wrote:
Jan 23 2019 1:55pm
Marv1337n wrote:
Jan 23 2019 12:13pm
I saw that you can modify the LVC, so would that fix my problem or is it a hardware problem?
No hardware problem, you can define any LVC with our open firmware. But I don't know, if your LCD works with lower voltages, as a special "high voltage" version of the LCD3 exists.

regards
stancecoke
I have quite the same question but the other way around : I have a 36/48V version, but I want to run it at 52V.
The FETs and caps were changed to their 80V counterparts to accomodate higher voltage (and I am thinking about changing the LM317 regulator*), but is there any hardware modification to make this controller work with 14S battery ? (voltage limits or other)

*edit : original LM317T replaced by TL783CKCSE3.
Last edited by Aeron on Jun 25 2019 1:57am, edited 2 times in total.

bushido   1 µW

1 µW

Re: KT motor controllers -- Flexible OpenSource firmware for BMSBattery S/Kunteng KT motor controllers (0.25kW up to 5kW

Post by bushido » Jun 19 2019 9:36am

Aeron wrote:
Jun 19 2019 6:34am
stancecoke wrote:
Jan 23 2019 1:55pm
Marv1337n wrote:
Jan 23 2019 12:13pm
I saw that you can modify the LVC, so would that fix my problem or is it a hardware problem?
No hardware problem, you can define any LVC with our open firmware. But I don't know, if your LCD works with lower voltages, as a special "high voltage" version of the LCD3 exists.

regards
stancecoke
I have quite the same question but the other way around : I have a 36/48V version, but I want to run it at 52V.
The FETs and caps were changed to their 80V counterparts to accomodate higher voltage (and I am thinking about changing the LM317 regulator), but is there any hardware modification to make this controller work with 14S battery ? (voltage limit sor other)
+1

i would also love to have higher voltage on a small 6FET/9FET controller. because i will use it with high geared hub motors, i would max out @ ~45km/h. i dont need more power (A), just higher voltage.

i just want to know if its an "easy" mod. if i have to replace one third of the components its not worth it

geofft   1 kW

1 kW

Post by geofft » Jun 20 2019 2:36pm

geofft wrote:
Jun 15 2019 3:33am
davideserin wrote:
Jun 14 2019 2:37pm

I'm using the Sempu torque sensor and i have it working, but is it possible to use a throttle in addition to this?
I'm currently using a Sempu T4 torquesensor and also have a throttle connected. My method was to connect both throttle and torquesensor signal lines in parallel to the controller i/p via a couple of blocking diodes, I used shottky diodes here to reduce the signal voltage drop. You'll then have to alter the Throttle min/max settings to suit.

This works well enough for me, there's a little lag in the throttle response due to the averaging function applied by the torquesensor code but not too noticeable in use.
I think I need to add a little more to this. I'm using a version of the firmware that dates back to last October - with this version the motor would operate from rest with torquesensor input only (i.e. without pedal rotation/pas pulses).

I now realise that the current fw downloads also require pas input before the motor will drive. This is the safer method of operation but unfortunately means the throttle method described above won't work in any useful manner. I don't know if the requirement for pas input can be switched off, I can't see anything in the configurator that would do this - maybe there's something in the app..?
BBS02 V2 48v 750w, 12s lipo.
Q128H (36v 201rpm), KT36/48SVPR, LCD3, 48v 12s lipo.

Xnyle   10 W

10 W

Post by Xnyle » Jun 20 2019 5:31pm

No, that would be an experimental and dangerous option we could add though.

What changed since October is ACAsetpoint 282.

In the past apparently someone blew up his motor by tilting his pedal against a wall or something. Without this new protection the bike then wanted to move but couldn't.

What I would suggest though instead of yet another option nobody understands is to just change this protection so that it's always on (you could also think of someone leaning his thumb throttle against something) but more lenient

For instance allowing X seconds of throttle without cadence input (just a quick thought).

Low processing power solutions welcome.

Please think about it and come up with some pseudo code.

casainho   1 GW

1 GW

Post by casainho » Jun 20 2019 5:37pm

Xnyle wrote:
Jun 20 2019 5:31pm
No, that would be an experimental and dangerous option we could add though.

What changed since October is ACAsetpoint 282.

In the past apparently someone blew up his motor by tilting his pedal against a wall or something. Without this new protection the bike then wanted to move but couldn't.

What I would suggest though instead of yet another option nobody understands is to just change this protection so that it's always on (you could also think of someone leaning his thumb throttle against something) but more lenient

For instance allowing X seconds of throttle without cadence input (just a quick thought).

Low processing power solutions welcome.

Please think about it and come up with some pseudo code.
That issue wasn't on TSDZ2 firmware??

What I did was motor shutoff if torque sensor > 0 for like 15 seconds and wheel speed == 0. Throttle or torque sensor activated means bicycle wheel should move otherwise something is stuck which should not happen.
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and LCDs (KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

Xnyle   10 W

10 W

Post by Xnyle » Jun 21 2019 2:47am

Not sure where it was, stancecoke reported it to me.

I'll probably just implement a counter that counts when throttle/torque override is present:

if erps <3: down
else: up

if counter reaches 0: disable override
init 127 or something.

geofft   1 kW

1 kW

Post by geofft » Jun 21 2019 3:24am

For me there are just two situations where you need throttle capability in the (current) torquesensor mode:-

1) Pulling away quickly from a standstill,
2) In awkward 'feet down' situations where you are manoeuvring at slow speed around obstructions.
....I guess this could be a problem in situation 2.
What I did was motor shutoff if torque sensor > 0 for like 15 seconds and wheel speed == 0. Throttle or torque sensor activated means bicycle wheel should move otherwise something is stuck which should not happen.
....this seems a good option to me, would you allow brake input to disable this protection? - maybe this is already implemented.
BBS02 V2 48v 750w, 12s lipo.
Q128H (36v 201rpm), KT36/48SVPR, LCD3, 48v 12s lipo.

casainho   1 GW

1 GW

Post by casainho » Jun 21 2019 4:04am

geofft wrote:
Jun 21 2019 3:24am
....this seems a good option to me, would you allow brake input to disable this protection? - maybe this is already implemented.
Yes sure, brakes simple keep motor disabled as also keep that counter reset. Also if wheel_speed > 0, the counter is reset.

We send to KT-LCD3 (and the others) a specific error code so users know when this error is active other way they will not understand why system is not working. Some users do not install brake sensors and keep pressing slightly the pedals/resting feet on red lights and the torque sensor is activated and will trigger this issue.

So, this is a kind of feature that can create frustration to some users if they do not have visual feedback from the system.
Developer of the Flexible OpenSource firmware for EBike motor controllers (TSDZ2 and KT) and LCDs (KT-LCD3 and Bafang 850C color LCD).

If you like my work, please consider making a donation. I am being using the donations to buy needed resources for my developments. My paypal: casainho AT gmail.com.

kuririkura   1 mW

1 mW

Post by kuririkura » Jun 23 2019 9:57am

Hi All,

Sorry if I'm asking very stupid question.

My goal is just to remove 'speed limiter' in my ebike.
Currently my setup is 900s led with KT48ZWS 1000watt(previously is KT36/48 500 watt)
With both controller I'm hitting barrier on the same 43kph (on gps). Even when i feel the bike still have more juices to get higher

1. What's the diferences of setting up the maximum speed in the firmware/controller, than setting it up through the LCD3?

2. Seems my bottleneck is the RPM limiter, but i didn't see options for that on the firmware GUI

3. How to get/read the default parameter value just for recovery plan? Will it load the default when i connect the controller for the first time?

Thanks

Aeron   10 W

10 W

Post by Aeron » Jun 25 2019 1:57am

Aeron wrote:
Jun 19 2019 6:34am
The FETs and caps were changed to their 80V counterparts to accomodate higher voltage (and I am thinking about changing the LM317 regulator*), but is there any hardware modification to make this controller work with 14S battery ? (voltage limits or other)

*edit : original LM317T replaced by TL783CKCSE3.
Noone knows ?

Aeron   10 W

10 W

Post by Aeron » Jun 25 2019 9:26am

I don't have a good understanding of the electronics behind LVC so I thought it would be a good idea to ask first.
If I were using a lower voltage, I guess I'd still be in the mesurement range of the LVC circuit.
But when overvolting, isn't there a risk of falling out of that range and saturate the chip ?

The answer I'm looking for is whether or not the LVC circuit needs any modification (in addition to a setting change in the firmware), like change a resistor value, to shift this range (hence adjusting to a slightly higher battery voltage). Wouldn't it be "too easy" if it were already compatible with higher voltages ? Maybe it is already good enough to set LVC to 42-44V, but I thought I'd check.
bushido wrote:
Jun 19 2019 9:36am
+1

i would also love to have higher voltage on a small 6FET/9FET controller. because i will use it with high geared hub motors, i would max out @ ~45km/h. i dont need more power (A), just higher voltage.

i just want to know if its an "easy" mod. if i have to replace one third of the components its not worth it
If you are interested, I'll let you know how the 6fet I have behaves @52V (stock amps, I'm like you and don't want to up the amps for now).

bushido   1 µW

1 µW

Post by bushido » Jun 27 2019 10:22am

Aeron wrote:
Jun 25 2019 9:26am
I don't have a good understanding of the electronics behind LVC so I thought it would be a good idea to ask first.
If I were using a lower voltage, I guess I'd still be in the mesurement range of the LVC circuit.
But when overvolting, isn't there a risk of falling out of that range and saturate the chip ?

The answer I'm looking for is whether or not the LVC circuit needs any modification (in addition to a setting change in the firmware), like change a resistor value, to shift this range (hence adjusting to a slightly higher battery voltage). Wouldn't it be "too easy" if it were already compatible with higher voltages ? Maybe it is already good enough to set LVC to 42-44V, but I thought I'd check.
bushido wrote:
Jun 19 2019 9:36am
+1

If you are interested, I'll let you know how the 6fet I have behaves @52V (stock amps, I'm like you and don't want to up the amps for now).
thanks, but its to late, i have just bought 2x S12SNN 72V from BMS Battery. initially i have planned a stealthy build with DIY bottle batteries. but after thinking through how to best setup the cells configuration , i have decided its not worth it, and i know myself, the limit of 45-50kph (48V) with the Bafang RM G310 & FM G370 would annoy me and i would probably upgrade it later anyway for higher V.

in the end i will build somethink like this

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47631

or this

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2d/2d/45 ... eddc07.jpg

and place my battery(20S11P NCR18650PF) and controllers there. i will just put a ~40A phase current limit to the controllers so i don't overload the nylon gears with to much torque. anyway, with 2 motors i should still have good torque. with oil cooling and maybe some heatsinks in the future, i should have no problems running like 2000-2500W continuously. although i will end up with like 1000W most of the time.

its like with the internet speed. sure 20mbit might be good enough for the most time, but there will be times when you need more speed for a short period of time.

kdog   10 kW

10 kW

Post by kdog » Jun 30 2019 12:57am

Hi KT gurus
Before I destroy another kt controller :( I thought I'd ask first this time!!
The output on the controller that is at battery voltage, I'm assuming it is for lights. Is this regulated at all? Am I safe to chuck in any old led (rated for 6-60v) front and rear combo or do I have to worry about current draw etc
Thanks in advance

Nixunen   1 mW

1 mW

Post by Nixunen » Jun 30 2019 1:39am

kdog wrote:
Jun 30 2019 12:57am
Hi KT gurus
Before I destroy another kt controller :( I thought I'd ask first this time!!
The output on the controller that is at battery voltage, I'm assuming it is for lights. Is this regulated at all? Am I safe to chuck in any old led (rated for 6-60v) front and rear combo or do I have to worry about current draw etc
Thanks in advance
Kt controllers light output (that output which can control on-off using display etc) has battery voltage, like you say, but current you can draw only 100mA so in 52v it is only 5.2W. I simply use that output to control relay, so i can use any led's / lights after that.

kdog   10 kW

10 kW

Post by kdog » Jun 30 2019 3:26am

Ah good idea, I'll do that. Cheers