Parallel BLDC Motor connection

Pegasus195

100 mW
I'm building a kind of electric skateboard, and I want to put dual motors instead of one, to give more stability and power. And I'm only using 1 motor controller for this project, other skateboards with dual motors have 2 ESCs/controllers. So are there any possibilities for me to parallel 2 motors(paralleling each 3 phase, and sensors) and make it work? I can understand the motor will need twice the wattage, and reduce the battery life drastically. Has this been done? If so are there any other posts with his discussion? I wouldn't wanna risk my motors right now

This will only work if both motors are locked together with their rotors in exactly the same position. Otherwise one motor will be getting its pulsed phase current completely out of time with its actual rotor position.

if you can't lock the rotors/motor axles together, then you'd need to used brushed motors rather than brushless to be able to parallel two on one controller.

amberwolf said:
if you can't lock the rotors/motor axles together, then you'd need to used brushed motors rather than brushless to be able to parallel two on one controller.
And how do I make sure I have locked those motors correctly?

You make sure the shafts are literally physically connected, AND the motors have to be exactly in phase.

flat tire said:
You make sure the shafts are literally physically connected, AND the motors have to be exactly in phase.
How can I know if the motors are in the same phase? I'm using the exact same motors found in the "hoverboards"

I believe you can apply a modest DC current to the same single phase on both motors. This should cause the rotors of both motors to align and hold position while you lock their shafts.

Punx0r said:
I believe you can apply a modest DC current to the same single phase on both motors. This should cause the rotors of both motors to align and hold position while you lock their shafts.
alright, I will try that method, thanks for the input

Back