ESC thermal management and thermal resistance

Vanarian

10 kW
Hi,

Better ask than fry components :D

Could somebody explains how thermal resistance works ?

I'm currently looking for ways to dissipate heat through passive conductors from my VESC FETs. I was thinking of putting caloducs to use with an alu heatsink or plate. FETs are on a separate board so cooling the bare side and soldered joints is possible.

I browsed on Farnell site and found 3 main types of passive dissipators :
-aluminium heatsinks
-copper
-ceramic

Ceramics appear to have high thermal resistance,does that means that more thermal resistance means less heat can go through the part ?

Where should actually be the sweet spot to choose a dissipative component ? Usually laptops and graphic cards are pairing copper caloducs with alu heatsinks ( + fans and thermal chambers, oh well). Small PCBs do use directly alu heatsinks directly stuck on the warm parts.

Is the logic |FET|=>|copper caloduc|=>|alu plate/heatsink| any good to dissipate the heat all the way through the alu plate ? If so, how should I choose the thermal resistance of my components to not get burnt if I touch the alu plate yet get effective cooling through air & wind ?

A great introduction to heatsinks, thermal resistance etc: http://sound.whsites.net/heatsinks.htm

Back