how to use 2 pairs of hall sensors

naeemdotcom

100 µW
Hi everyone
In the hub motor 5kW, 72V there are 2 sets of hall sensors, so total 6 sensors on the hub motor.
Can anyone tell me how can i utilize both the pairs of hall sensors so that if 1 pair gets faulty then the other pair can work seamlessly?

any help is appreciated.

So far, the controllers I have seen can only read one set at a time. If you experience symptoms that suggest a bad hall sensor, the common method is to unplug one set, and plug the controller into the other set (assuming there are two hall sensor cables exiting the motor case).

Some controllers have a sensored/sensorless mode. This is where it starts out using the hall sensors, and once moving you immediately begin using the sensorless mode. In that case, a bad hall sensor would not strand you. You'd simply have to start pedaling up to the sensorless speed, which should happen fairly quick.

That being said, if you use authentic Honeywell halls, and never overheat your motor...hall sensors have proven to be very reliable.

Thanks 'spinningmagnets' for a detailed reply.

I was wondering why the hub motor manufacturers provide 2 completely independent sets of hall sensors?

Yes they are Honeywell sensors, digital with open-collector outputs.. so i hope its possible to common the sensors phase-by-phase that is same colors connect together.
Will it work or not any idea?

Most of the large hubmotors that we here at endless sphere are using were never designed for electric bikes. They come from the Chinese scooter market, and have been adapted with a minor modification to the axles.

Scooters do not have a pedal option, and...even if they did have that, they are heavy. Many large hubmotors around here have the slots for a second set of halls, but the factory only installs one set when they ship that stator to an electric bike kit wholesaler.

With many cities in China banning gasoline mopeds due to the horrible smog, there has been a boom in electric conversions of mopeds and scooters from gasoline to electric, plus, many new scooters are being sold as electric right from the factory. There are very few electric bikes, kits, and E-scooters sold in north america compared to China, they literally sell millions each year. If you want to import parts from China, you will get no respect or customer service unless you are ordering at least 100 pieces at a time, and even then, 100 pieces is a small order for them.

Some Chinese hot rod their scooters and get them hot, or just load them down with too much cargo. when the motor gets hot enough to fry the halls, they want to be able to unplug one set and plug in the other just to get home.

Scooter in the pic below is gasoline, but...the electric ones are used the same...

6161289029_27d574cd16_b.jpg

Back