Hub Motor that works with a wide voltage range

Stu Summer

100 W
I want a 1000-1500w hub motor with regeneration capacities that will work with voltages from roughly 28 to 60. This is because I would like it to work (for educational purposes) directly off of a 37v solar panel I have and I would also like it to work with the 52V batteries I already have. I do not know where else to turn to find this information.

Thanks!

The motor doesn't care... It's the controller that needs to handle the wide input range. But it's going to spin a lot slower on the lower voltage as the rpm is pretty voltage based. Maybe if you use a mid drive system where you can change gears you could get around that problem....

I'm assuming you want a brushless pm motor. Basically any direct drive ( not geared and clutched) will work on any voltage with regen capabilities. It's output will vary according to the voltage and amps it's fed. Your question will be what controller should i use. The standard 36v/48v controller ( available everywhere) will work from around 30v to 58v. it is possible to get a broader range but you might need a programmable one the works on say 72v and set the Lvc way down.
What battery is it? as in chem and cell count, whats the application? This info will help

A solar panel is primarily a current source. The voltage fluctuates wildly with the load current above a certain point which depends on illumination and the cosine of the panel angle. Controllers are designed for a relatively fixed voltage, so this variation can be a problem.

The max RPM of the motor is dependent primarily on the voltage, and then at some point the available power. So this setup will be capable of about double the speed on the 52V battery compared to the panel.

The current depends on the motor load, the available voltage, and throttle setting. How much power can your panel(s) deliver?

At light loading the Solar panel voltage may be stable enough, as the load and/or throttle increases things will go south as the voltage plummets. Essentially it will cut out easily with a panel as power source (unless you have a large array). For best operation with a panel a battery can be used to accept and/or provide current as solar conditions and motor loading change.

To choose the motor start with the minimum voltage you are going to run at (perhaps slightly below the maximum power point voltage for your panels), and choose a motor which develops the speed (RPM) and power you need at that voltage. Then at higher voltage you can throttle back appropriately to avoid excess speed.

The LVC (low voltage cutoff) of the controller is usually used to protect the battery, but in this application it will need to be set very low so the battery will not be protected, or it will have to be reset for different power sources.

You will want to select a controller that has wide range switching regulators, many controllers do these days.

The regeneration settings include a max voltage. This protects the power source from excess voltage. The solar panel cannot accept regen power so the voltage will rise to this level during regen, will your solar panels accept 60 volts? In this condition there will be no braking available from regen.

Thanks, guys, that was very helpful! My project is on a bikeE and I am still trying to decide between a rear hub motor and cyclone. Any opinions?

Definitely silence.

And if it's for education purposes, you'll spend less time working on a hubby, and more time doing whatever you're sposed to be doing! in fact other than the initial instal, in 5000k I've done zero work on my hub motor. I've replaced a spoke or two and brake pads, and a bunch of other stuff like lights tyres etc but zero on the motor, controller and battery and CA.
Now that I've said that I'll probly go and find it dead- ha!

kdog said:
And if it's for education purposes, you'll spend less time working on a hubby, and more time doing whatever you're sposed to be doing! in fact other than the initial instal, in 5000k I've done zero work on my hub motor. I've replaced a spoke or two and brake pads, and a bunch of other stuff like lights tyres etc but zero on the motor, controller and battery and CA.
Now that I've said that I'll probly go and find it dead- ha!

Kdog, What is your set up? What hub motor, controller, voltage?

That one is a nine continent DD rear hub (8x8 winding with cooling mods), an 18fet em3ev controller paired with a v2.3CA, and my own 20s5p battery.
It's a commuter for me, hasn't skipped a beat. It's on a Kona dr dew hard tail, which get a bit jumpy at speeds over 60kph
Currently building an adaptto/mxus type of thing.

Every mid drive except the BBSxx are noisy. Even with my hearing aids off. No reason to ever have a mid drive unless we need to climb, even so a Mac is preferred for low maintenace anc quieter than those clunky fussy noisy cyclones. Those that like them are passionate. Its the only motor i really have no taste for. Other than the really pricy mids. IF and a big if I had to have another mid it'd be and LR. If i have to hear it i may as well hear it with class and a fair price. Not to mention custom fit.

Back