Raced all day with my MXUS 3k at 105C. Bad??

DanGT86

100 kW
I competed in a really fun race at a Kart track in Pevely MO on Saturday. It was 85-90deg F and sunny with high humidity. Just what every hub motor loves. I was running a MUXUS 3k version 1 with the steel stator support. The motor is sealed with no cooling mods. I'm on 20s Lipo and had the battery current limited to 80amps.

It took about 1.5 or 2 laps for my motor to hit 100-110 deg C measured on the stator windings. My CA3 is set to keep me from exceeding 120C and I never saw more than 110C but I was between 100-110deg continuous for 3-5min at a time for a total of 20 min over the course of the day.

So my question is this: Are high motor temps like 100-120C cumulatively bad or is melting insulation an all or nothing deal? Should my motor be just as good as before the race?

Here is my helmet cam video BTW. I was the only Ebike. The rest were gassers.
[youtube]iFw0vPUXgUI[/youtube]

It depends on the quality of the magnets as to how heat tolerant they are. Additionally it's possible to de-magnetise magnets in free air relatively easily, they tend to be more resilient when in a motor.

I personally wouldn't take a motor over a real saturated 95c. I would expect degradation, however incremental with 100c+, not just in terms of magnets but insulation quality.

HIGHLY recommend you purchase some hubsinks and ferrofluid. It will probably halve your temperatures with current power levels, or alternatively allow you to run much harder.

Thanks for the info.

I definitely wont do that again. I was glad to see the CA3 was doing a good job keeping everything under control even if that means borderline high temps. At least it wasnt spiking to 120-130 then settling. I was actually having enough fun racing that I was half prepared to just accept the fact that it was going to cost me a motor that day. I'll do some no load tests now that its cool and see if the rpm is different then it used to be. That would be a sign of magnet damage right?

I am trying to decide between hub sinks and FF or just drilling the covers. It's the steel stator V1 with the small wires and probably the thicker laminations. There have been substantial improvements since I bought this motor. So now I am wondering:

-Does this older generation motor deserve $75 worth of sinks and fluid?
-Does the FF transfer enough stator heat to keep up with a heat soaked steel stator support?
-Does a FF/sink combo cool better than venting?

Either way it absolutely needs cooling because the power is literally cut in half after 2 minutes of hard riding. That was very frustrating in a race environment against a field of bikes whose power fell right in between my cold and hot motor.

Back