VESC-controller

Electric Motors and Controllers
ENNOID
10 mW
10 mW

Re: VESC-controller

Post by ENNOID » Jan 24, 2018 9:45 am

Nice job Marcos looks good! Any release date prevision for the future magic?

marcos
100 W
100 W

Post by marcos » Jan 24, 2018 11:21 am

Nice job Marcos looks good! Any release date prevision for the future magic?
Oh, its not an earth-shaking feature, don't worry. The focus now is in the packaging so we can offer more than a populated OSH pcb. No release date, I want it now so we can sell and fund more development, but its not that easy, lots of things can go wrong in the prototyping.

ENNOID
10 mW
10 mW

Post by ENNOID » Jan 26, 2018 8:36 pm

ok no problem, I thought at first that you were talking about your FPGA implementation stuff... I was kind of expecting too much :lol:

ENNOID
10 mW
10 mW

Post by ENNOID » Jan 26, 2018 9:34 pm

Marcos,

How have you implemented/automated precharge of DC-link on your side with this board? Does the protected GPIO OUT1 & OUT2 from your VESC board are for driving a contactors & a precharge relay? (Power is limited I think...)

I'm asking that because I started to make my own idea on this. I am not planning to use an interface board as you probably know and I have to create a separate PCB for DC link voltage measurement (as already discussed), so I would like to regroup more functions on this board (including precharge). This board would have those functions:

- Automatic precharging the DC-link through an external single IGBT module (automatic Inrush_Limiter) see: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewt ... &start=150
- Driving the same IGBT module for DC link current & E-STOP (replacing one main contactor)
- Discharging the DC Bus when power is turned off
- Measuring the voltage of the DC-link

I just don't know if my idea hold with the inrush limiter & losses in the IGBT at this scale... I started to work on this idea today:
https://github.com/EnnoidMe/ENNOID-Dual-Gate-Driver VBUS-Sense folder

marcos
100 W
100 W

Post by marcos » Jan 27, 2018 6:48 pm

Yes, to get my hands on the FPGA I need either free time, a huge motor or someone to pay for the job, its a ton of effort for 1 person.

The protected GPIOs were added for fan/pump and relays/contactors, so yes, the plan is to use them. DC discharge should not be in control of the microcontroller.
DC link voltage is already measured. I wouldn't use an IGBT as a contactor, most of the times an IGBT fails open, but what if it doesn't? Also the losses are not low.

Shaharov
1 µW
1 µW

Post by Shaharov » Apr 08, 2018 1:14 am

Just went to print this from oh park and looked at the bom. Realized I should ask if you happen to have any board sitting around you would like to sell. I'd be interested in a completed board but even a bare board would be fine (I don't mind doing the pick & place And reflow soldering), bare bone with needed parts would even be better. Basically needing the controller and powerless board. I already have the same igbt's.

I'm at the point where I need to add the motor and controller to a jeep conversion I've been working on. I have a 120kw motor picked out but want to try the controller on a 5kw motor before I purchase the larger motor

dmann
1 µW
1 µW

Post by dmann » Apr 08, 2018 2:00 am

Marcos what if Youtuber Gerard Morin is right, that these larger drum motors work best with higher voltage + higher frequency rather than higher current? How easy would it be to modify to have lets say an output of between 240-500volts and a frequency range between 15khz - 25khz. In one of his last two videos he is getting what seems to be a tremendous amount of torque from less than 1 amp draw! :shock: Surprisingly I have not found other individuals working on anything like what is described. There is one company (Elmo) that has a controller for high voltage (Drum HV). There is also a company (un-named) making large manned drones in Isreal utilizing such technology. Any thoughts? Can higher volt lower amp mods be made easily on the VESC?

Doug

Ohbse
10 kW
10 kW

Post by Ohbse » Apr 08, 2018 8:09 pm

dmann wrote:
Apr 08, 2018 2:00 am
Marcos what if Youtuber Gerard Morin is right, that these larger drum motors work best with higher voltage + higher frequency rather than higher current? How easy would it be to modify to have lets say an output of between 240-500volts and a frequency range between 15khz - 25khz. In one of his last two videos he is getting what seems to be a tremendous amount of torque from less than 1 amp draw! :shock: Surprisingly I have not found other individuals working on anything like what is described. There is one company (Elmo) that has a controller for high voltage (Drum HV). There is also a company (un-named) making large manned drones in Isreal utilizing such technology. Any thoughts? Can higher volt lower amp mods be made easily on the VESC?
Looks like the usual sort of free energy bullshit artist, displaying results with huge emphasis on one variable to appear impressive.

1 amp of draw at 400v is 400w. That power level can send your average ebike climbing the wall and leaving skid marks on the roof. It doesn't matter what the input draw is to the inverter, what's creating torque is phase amps. With a beefy enough controller, that 1a of draw could become 300a through the windings. I could set up a cheap 30mm wide 205mm ebike motor on a stand and run it at only 200 rpm and be completely unable to stop it turning by hand.

He has not invented anything, what he's demonstrating is a sine wave 3 phase motor controller with basic speed control on a cheap outrunner. The talk of resonance and RF frequency is distraction and completely incorrect. He shows input current *while motor is unloaded*, that has zero relevance to efficiency under load. Don't be taken in by this BS artist.

marcos
100 W
100 W

Post by marcos » Apr 09, 2018 7:10 am

First thing I read from that guy: "The purpose of this campaign is to raise money for replicating Gerald's Energy Amplification Experiments.". Can't read past that.

Shaharov, I still don't have any spares left, I was ready to hit the big red "MFG" button and 2 customers resumed testing with >100kw motors and now I want to have their setup tested at full power before making new batch, these are expensive builds and any extra test is very valuable given how scarce test benches are. Last week I found 1 very minor issue in the hardware, and there is an ongoing firmware bug with rotor position algorithm.

Shaharov
1 µW
1 µW

Post by Shaharov » Apr 09, 2018 8:22 am

marcos wrote:
Apr 09, 2018 7:10 am
Shaharov, I still don't have any spares left, I was ready to hit the big red "MFG" button and 2 customers resumed testing with >100kw motors and now I want to have their setup tested at full power before making new batch, these are expensive builds and any extra test is very valuable given how scarce test benches are. Last week I found 1 very minor issue in the hardware, and there is an ongoing firmware bug with rotor position algorithm.
Good to know... Keep me updated. I'm keen to get this started but have a few things to do (including a holiday/trip) before I can start testing with the Controller. Basically, once the controller is tested with a 5kw motor I will be purchasing the motor for the vehicle and there's not much left to prep for that. If I get to the point where I need the controller to continue I'll get the boards made and order the parts... you can then have some more bench testing with a 5kw and >100kw motor... I do like the Vesc and am eager to see how this runs on a larger motor.