Axiom: a 100kW+ motor controller

Electric Motors and Controllers
shaman   100 W

100 W

Re: Axiom: a 100kW+ motor controller

Post by shaman » Sep 09 2019 12:51pm

@marcos good to see this released! One question though. Why use a digital isolator + non-isolated CAN transceiver instead of an isolated CAN transceiver like the ISO1042?

marcos   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcos » Sep 09 2019 4:40pm

shaman wrote:
Sep 09 2019 12:51pm
@marcos good to see this released! One question though. Why use a digital isolator + non-isolated CAN transceiver instead of an isolated CAN transceiver like the ISO1042?
Main reason is sourceability, if that is a word. I prefer to avoid part obsolescence and keep supply chain flexible. ISO1050 and ISO1042 come in rather specific packages that you can't easily replace, and they don't make the area much smaller. Its not the main concern, but using a discrete isolator and CAN phy is also cheaper.
Most parts have very similar pin compatible cousins, even the MCU, FPGA and resolver chip, not to mention the opamps, mosfets, LDO and ISO-AMPs. The connectors are usually worth to keep an eye on its availability, they can become the deal breaker.

For every time you can get away with a replacement part I save nearly $200 in tooling costs, so for small batches it pays out.
Does your project need a high performance motor drive? Let's talk!
www.powerdesigns.ca
Do you like our work? Support Axiom to win the 2019 Hackaday Prize!

marcos   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcos » Sep 10 2019 4:39pm

Into the finals!

https://prize.supplyframe.com

Wooot! Happy happy!

Now back to work. Dang SPI driver speedup is taking me ages to get working.
www.powerdesigns.ca

hockinsk   1 µW

1 µW

Post by hockinsk » Sep 25 2019 3:38am

Will the Axiom be available as an off-the-shelf controller at all? ie like say the VESC six and 75/300?

marcos   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcos » Sep 25 2019 5:08am

Yes! Right after we finish validation and we have an enclosure made.
www.powerdesigns.ca

hockinsk   1 µW

1 µW

Post by hockinsk » Sep 25 2019 6:39am

Fantastic. Thank you!

shaggythegangsta   1 µW

1 µW

Post by shaggythegangsta » Sep 29 2019 10:35am

Hello MArcos, could you please provide some updates on what is going on with Axiom? any updates on ACIM support?

marcos   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcos » Sep 30 2019 9:48am

shaggythegangsta wrote:
Sep 29 2019 10:35am
Hello MArcos, could you please provide some updates on what is going on with Axiom? any updates on ACIM support?
Hi Shaggy,
These last few days we were making the last strides in the hackaday contest, it closes today.
One of the requirements is to make a video so we are spending the bootstrapping stage money in making that video. Crazy video editing days with the amazing folks of Carbono14.
20190927_143251.jpg
20190927_143251.jpg (165.11 KiB) Viewed 222 times
(that's me on the right, Lex in the center, Facundo in the back, and Joni the animator next to me)

I would have posponed the marketing for quite a while until we have more base material, but I guess its good to have the marketing side pushed forward.

Behold the intro video!

Did you know a voiceiver like that costs $12 on fiverr? Its mindblowing. I didn't even know there is so much stock footage available for free and that a video like this can be made in only a couple of days if you work on-site with them.
No wonder why so many don't bother on making a real hard-engineered product and jump straight to the video :p Kudos for the team!

Besides that I'm mostly providing support to the beta testers and looking for errors or improvements for the next revision. In my free time I try to work on the fpga

Software wise the main task is merging FW/MTPA, I've been developing small additions, but that big one is still not merged and Arlin is going to need it soon. Hopefully Benjamin itself is getting a couple of Axioms next week and we will see some substantial progress in the software side. ACIM support doesn't have a schedule yet, but with the rate of growth I think someone will make it happen sooner than later, things are starting to move really fast.

We are about to test a second batch of DC Links:
DC Link.jpg
DC Link.jpg (117.58 KiB) Viewed 222 times
And there is one more thing, I've been testing an instrument cluster, should work on any small linux board (Rpi/BBB for example, probably an android tablet):
www.powerdesigns.ca

shaggythegangsta   1 µW

1 µW

Post by shaggythegangsta » Sep 30 2019 4:06pm

Good Work guys keep it up, promotional video is really good and also the cluster is very good.
would like to ask also any update on the pcb that would let us adapt let say already built powerstage from some inverter to the axiom logic board?
i think we will never thank enough the talented people like you and many other that are giving there skills to the open source comunity.

marcos   1 kW

1 kW

Post by marcos » Sep 30 2019 5:14pm

shaggythegangsta wrote:
Sep 30 2019 4:06pm
would like to ask also any update on the pcb that would let us adapt let say already built powerstage from some inverter to the axiom logic board?
No updates in that regard. I have the kicad files ready to upload, they didn't change since we defined the general layout and pinout. I just never made the time to create a github repository to make them online, I just emailed the files to the guys that wanted them.

Not sure if it was posted here, but the template looks like this:
axiom template.png
axiom template.png (45.31 KiB) Viewed 187 times
It has the pins correctly labeled and in the right location, as well as the mounting holes locations to make it easy to adapt the logic board to a different powerstage. Most likely a bigger powerstage :twisted:

Thanks for supporting this endeavor!!!
www.powerdesigns.ca